Old farts and friction folders.

0SRWCZy.jpg

5gQGa6U.jpg

I just tried to buy a Trattenbacher Taschenfeitel. No dice. Llamaland Germany tells me they can't send it to this country, and no other vendor can either. Sure wish I'd bought that one I saw at an estate sale years ago before I knew what it was.

I am going backpacking this week and did not have my opined with my gear. This thread reminded me to correct my error.

Haven't been around much lately, but what a great thread! According to Modoc ED Modoc ED I'm a youngster to most of you here, but an Old Fart to a 15 year old, so Apprentice Old Fart is where I probably stand. Lol!!

Friction folders, aka the knife with two nails, are some of my favorite designs because of the simplicity and also because it's like holding a piece of living history every time you use one.

Arguably the oldest knife design from France is the Capuchin.

This Spanish version has been in my EDC rotation for a few years now.

This one is possibly my absoute favorite design though

Haven't been around much lately, but what a great thread! According to Modoc ED Modoc ED I'm a youngster to most of you here, but an Old Fart to a 15 year old, so Apprentice Old Fart is where I probably stand. Lol!!

Friction folders, aka the knife with two nails, are some of my favorite designs because of the simplicity and also because it's like holding a piece of living history every time you use one.

draggat, you're more than welcome to be the resident apprentice old fart here. Your taste in knives is exquisite and you have some prime and enviable examples of the breed in your pics!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And you're right about holding living history. I think about that every time I hold a knife that some cowpoke pushing heard up the trail, or a knife that some 19th century working man would recognize. I guess thats why I am still a revolver man in this age of plastic semi auto's. My rifle is still a lever action too. So a friction folder fits right in with my retro desires.

Absolutely exquisite beauty!!!

The way the horn blends from the light cream to the dark is soooo beautiful. With a knife like that, I think I'd be living off apple just for the joy of using that knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks! I do enjoy using it and I eat an apple nearly every day!

Back