Old farts and friction folders.

It's what came to mind. I think it means a groove in a sheet of metal that adds rigidity without weight, but I'll have to look it up now (and verify whether the l or the n is double, while I'm at it).
I like circumferential ridge.

My first look said “a groove around the circumference of a bullet”. Of course that doesn’t mean that’s the only definition.

I think I've heard of it in an airplane context. Time to look it up.
Webster's New International Unabridged 2cd ed's first definition is "a groove, especially in any cylinder", going on to your military def. Nothing about airplanes, but this was my great grandfather's favorite dictionary, so they may have been flying canvas and balsa still.

Nothing about airplanes in Webster's third ditto. Grooves along a column first, then grooves around a cylinder.

Three volumes, looks like it was never looked at, $5 from the Lansing Library. I think it's sad for the world that there aren't more people like me about, but it does mean I get deals on things my juniors lack the wit to appreciate.

Not that I belong in an old fart's thread.

Last edited:
Webster's New International Unabridged 2cd ed's first definition is "a groove, especially in any cylinder", going on to your military def. Nothing about airplanes, but this was my great grandfather's favorite dictionary, so they may have been flying canvas and balsa still.
I looked it up earlier this morning since, not being a gun guy, it was a new word to me. First definition in online Merriam-Webster is : a groove running lengthwise on the surface of a cylinder or column. The "lengthwise" seems disorienting based on my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the bullet context of the term.

- GT

Nothing about airplanes in Webster's third ditto. Grooves along a column first, then grooves around a cylinder.

Three volumes, looks like it was never looked at, $5 from the Lansing Library. I think it's sad for the world that there aren't more people like me about, but it does mean I get deals on things my juniors lack the wit to appreciate.

Not that I belong in an old fart's thread.

Some hunting around keeps bringing me back to bullets, although there are some botanical and architectural applications. I wonder what they call it at Opinel. Those engineers must have a term for it. When you used “cannelure” my first reaction was “That’s got to be it!”.

Some hunting around keeps bringing me back to bullets, although there are some botanical and architectural applications. I wonder what they call it at Opinel. Those engineers must have a term for it. When you used “cannelure” my first reaction was “That’s got to be it!”.
I thought so too.
It's from medieval Latin canella, related to chanel and canal. I think I'll keep using it. Not like I have to use it often.

I looked it up earlier this morning since, not being a gun guy, it was a new word to me. First definition in online Merriam-Webster is : a groove running lengthwise on the surface of a cylinder or column. The "lengthwise" seems disorienting based on my (possibly erroneous) understanding of the bullet context of the term.

- GT
Nope, it's that too.

Thanks. Too bad he disappeared.
You got a beauty, though.
Yeah, I'm really fond of it. O1 steel, walnut, and brass. Here's a shot showing the file work:
YatEYZa.jpg

For what it's worth I'm only 39 and don't particularly care what I'm referred to as.
I'm just here for the knives :D it'd be a boring world if we were all the same

Exactly. It’s is not rude to refuse. It is rude when they ask why and get an honest answer.

Very nice wood. After seeing this I just ordered the ironwood version from Mike.

Absolutely should. I suggest that “old fart references” be dropped from the name because it will limit participation. I can say this because I’m almost 78. How should we go about this? Bring a mod and or admin into the discussion ?

So you come in on page 8, post 147 of a thread that's been running successfully since August 17 and want to take the Heart of the thread out - "Old Farts".:eek: It's been going along just fine with input from various youngsters in their 40s, 50s, 60s. 70s, etc. and we like to hear from the teens, 20s, and 30s, too.:)

Carl J jackknife the OP - Don't fall for this. Leave the thread title as is.:thumbsup:

“geezer”, I like that.

Take the heart out. I was suggesting taking the fart out. And, does it matter when I joined to thread in terms of the acceptability of my opinion? “I fart in your general direction.”

What’s your beef? Don’t like the beefy ones?

Right back atcha:)

o_O

- GT
You were pretty old...er...mature...when you became a knife guy, Gary. Not too late to become a gun guy. :)

Sorry fellas, I just had to :rolleyes:
Yep, you did!

This old fart's only friction folder (unless a navaja counts--but it automatically locks when opened):
pkjYqEW.jpg

Last edited:
You've got to put it in perspective. You're an "Old Fart" to a 15-year old.:)
Oh don't worry, my three lads (7,9,12) tell me regularly that I'm ancient and really really old !
When I'm teaching new apprentices at 18-21 ish at work, even that makes me feel old sometimes.:D

Back