Old farts and friction folders.

Why not? This is a good start.
If it were me I'd just replace "Old farts and" with "Cult of". Or maybe "Fellowship of", since we like to alliterate.
Or maybe "Fellowship of Old Farts and Friction Folders."

Edit: wrote that before I saw Ray's suggestion. His is better alliteration. On the other hand, I like the phrase "old farts."

I like to think of every fart as - Fresh ;) I like OLD Farts too but if alliteration is what we are after how about - Fading Farts? Just as evocative and to the point :D

Now we are going way off the thread subject, aren't we? :rolleyes:

Friction folder.... technically I don't own one, but my AG Russell Sowbelly Trapper sure comes close. :cool:

Getting this thread back on topic - I'm an Old-Fart and my Ohta FK 7 Friction Folder from @knifeswapper over at CollectorKnives came in today. The Cocobolo Wood in this knife is very nice. The Friction Folder knife is new to me so it'll take some time to get used to it and evaluate it. Enough blather!!:rolleyes: Here it is:thumbsup:

Fq0wfXl.jpg

6RdXbuI.jpg

RJm67gf.jpg

esRSVc2.jpg

In the last two pictures, the knife is resting on a piece of petrified wood.

I like it Ed :thumbsup: Looks like it could be a hundred years old and slice like the best of them.

Hollow ground? I have to think about holding down the lock bar because, as I wrote earlier I use other knives that lock or stay fixed without my help. This one will need your attention until you get used to it. Maybe your pivot is tighter than mine (on my knife ;)).

Last edited:
Getting this thread back on topic - I'm an Old-Fart and my Ohta FK 7 Friction Folder from @knifeswapper over at CollectorKnives came in today. The Cocobolo Wood in this knife is very nice. The Friction Folder knife is new to me so it'll take some time to get used to it and evaluate it. Enough blather!!:rolleyes: Here it is:thumbsup:

Fq0wfXl.jpg

6RdXbuI.jpg

RJm67gf.jpg

esRSVc2.jpg

That is some good lookin wood on there, Ed!:thumbsup:

Now all ya all gotta do is use that thing. Those Birdseye rivets look like they could be snugged up easy if it gets a little loose.

I don't have anything else to compare the tension/tightness of the pivot on this knife to but I was surprised at the amount of effort to open it. Very smooth of course and not floppy at all. Comparing it to the slip joint pull chart, I'd put it at a 2 1/2 to 3. Very nice and doable.

That is some good lookin wood on there, Ed!:thumbsup:

Now all ya all gotta do is use that thing. Those Birdseye rivets look like they could be snugged up easy if it gets a little loose.

Thanks Carl. I'm very pleased with it and the workmanship on the knife is first rate!! It's just the perfect knife to introduce me to friction folders.:) Kudos to @knifeswapper Mike at CollectorKnives for carrying them.

I don't have anything else to compare the tension/tightness of the pivot on this knife to but I was surprised at the amount of effort to open it. Very smooth of course and not floppy at all. Comparing it to the slip joint pull chart, I'd put it at a 2 1/2 to 3. Very nice and doable.

Sounds good, they should always be a steady semi stiff, consistent pull all the way. Thats the great safety of the friction folder, the steadiness of it. No snappiness or change in pull form closed to full open and vise versa. In all the years I've been carrying Fausto's little resolza and the Opinels, I've never nicked myself with a snappy blade. Okay, I did cut myself once with an Opinel number 8 in 1982, that needed a few stitches, but to be totally honest, I was drunk as a lawyer. In fact when Karen went drove me to the local ER for 7 stitches, I could hardly walk, so it wan't really the knife's fault.:eek:

On the other hand, I witnessed the immediate aftermath of a young man who had total trust in his Buck 110 that took off his right index finger at the second joint when the lock failed.

I love friction folders!!!!!

Last edited:
Holy legume, thats a little cutie!!!!!!

What, who, is it and where can I buy/steal/trade my first born for?????

(he's 6' 2" 205, very strong and good teeth!):D
Believe it or not it came out of Turkey. I found it in an online shop... I'll see if I can find a link and send it to you in a pm...

Fq0wfXl.jpg

6RdXbuI.jpg

RJm67gf.jpg

esRSVc2.jpg

Nice Ed! Looks like it's hollow ground...is it sharp? Ebony FK5 on the way here.

Fq0wfXl.jpg

6RdXbuI.jpg

RJm67gf.jpg

esRSVc2.jpg

Good looking knife, Ed.

I have only one Opinel, a no. 8 Carbone drop point. (If I EVER see these for sale again... I'd buy a pile of them)
I do have a pile of no. 7's (or maybe they are 6's ???) that I gift out to fellow pipers as plug cutting knives. My no. 8 is currently seeing duty as mainly a plug cutter, because it is a thin convexed edged laser of a cutter. It has, in the past... and likely future, seen duty as a kitchen knife. And, of course... is perfect as a picnic knife. Haven't gone on a picnic in quite some time though...

J jackknife , I know you are a piper..... ever smoke plugs? The Opie is the PERFECT plug knife.

Back