Old Friends Friday

Is it Friday again? :rolleyes: I had my Mausers Officer's Knife out yesterday, to make a wrist-loop hole in a walking staff I'm making, and thought I'd carry it as my Old Friend today :)

pLPqyrT.jpg

I've had this knife since 1982, and carried it for a solid 10 years, so every blade and tool has seen a lot of use. So much, in the case of the corkscrew, that I've sprained it unfortunately, and so it doesn't quite close right anymore. I'd get it fixed, but the last time I sent a SAK back for repair, I got sent a completely inferior knife sent back to me o_O

G0Z6fOF.jpg

I always enjoy carrying my Mauser, and it is certainly an Old Friend :) :thumbsup:

tlSxiPJ.jpg

7XK6hQ5.jpg

Thanks for showing them, I like gaucho type knives. Are your examples workable? Even if they are stainless? I also thought the Criollo knife from the Canary Islands had a similar shape, different handle style and not as fancy. Any more gaucho knives to show? Or history on them?
There's a guy in the Levine forum who's an expert on them.
The ones I have seem to be quite acceptable steel. I have nothing against modern stainless, myself, though the old stuff was too soft, and the original stuff would electrolyse with itself.
The story I've heard is that the gauchos used to slaughter beef by chasing it down on horseback, hamstringing it with a crescent-shaped hocking knife socketed to a pole, and sticking it under the ear with their knife.
Some South American knives are also called criollos, whether because they were used by people of mixed race or because they were European blades mounted in local style I don't know. (I don't know the Canary criollo. (South American too? I don't know where the Canaries are, offhand.))
Take away the fancy metal work from a gaucho knife, and you've got pretty much a Sabatier style kitchen knife.
I'll be posting all mine once the new one comes, maybe in a fleeting thread of their own.

Last edited:
Jack Black Jack Black and screened porch screened porch those two are truly a couple of good Old Friends!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't often carry a sheath knife but it's been great having this little Puukko on my hip the last few days. During this latest cold snap I found having a blade that doesn't require taking the gloves off to use is good for the hands and the heart. :) Plus the length of the dangler type sheath causes it to hang just below my cold weather coat for easy access. So today, I'm thrilled to be able to share with you here, my newest "Old Friend"...

...A Puukko by Todor Hristov
waA5nzo.jpg

7" overall of birch bark and elmax with leather dangler

Ya all stay warm and healthy and have a great week-end. :)

sparerow

Jack Black Jack Black and screened porch screened porch those two are truly a couple of good Old Friends!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't often carry a sheath knife but it's been great having this little Puukko on my hip the last few days. During this latest cold snap I found having a blade that doesn't require taking the gloves off to use is good for the hands and the heart. :) Plus the length of the dangler type sheath causes it to hang just below my cold weather coat for easy access. So today, I'm thrilled to be able to share with you here, my newest "Old Friend"...

waA5nzo.jpg

sparerow

What an absolute beauty :cool: Congratulations :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black and screened porch screened porch

waA5nzo.jpg

sparerow
Wow! Turns out that I have ALSO been carrying my identical Hristov the last few days. What wonderful knives. Good show!

Wow! Turns out that I have ALSO been carrying my identical Hristov the last few days. What wonderful knives. Good show!
Thanks Cal, I'd love to see yours sometime. :cool:
They really are wonderful knives, we are fortunate to have them. I especially like that Todor makes them a bit more pointed (less belly) then many other puukkos. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Which suits my general cutting needs very well. Have a great evening and a fantastic week end. :)

Back