"Old Knives"

You guys are posting some beautiful and outstanding photos of your knives here in “Old Knives”!!

Duncan always enjoy your thoughtful and interesting comments on here:thumbsup:

Wanted to throw up a couple of photos to celebrate 1000 pages and going strong! Thanks VCM3 for starting and seeding this thread with some photos of beautiful vintage folders which are now sadly missing.

Here are a couple of lockbacks I have. The top one is a Schatt & Morgan and the bottom one is an Ulster.

492340F0-263F-4B1C-AD72-24DBF29BA3E6.jpeg
8FD7779F-C83C-4836-9F85-8CD85A43FE5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Lloyd, and I echo your thanks to VCM3 as well, one of my favourite Threads!

Two beauties there Lloyd- a wonderful pattern, both the Stag and the jigged examples are fantastic!
Can I join you my friend with a great Camillus with great Bone!
FpseIiB.jpg

r05hpvP.jpg

wMQHbGC.jpg

Here is an extremely nice Herder Whittler in Ivory, as we know the Herder Knives are outstanding in quality and this one most certainly verifies that! At 3 inches closed there's a lot going on, some would call it a Split Spring- but it's not the true Split Spring but rather a Wedged Spring set up that we know - in fact I have personally never handled a true Split Spring ( the one piece Spring - split apart):confused:
Stunning Walk and Talk, in fact stunning everything- The Lovely fine Swage Work- just a very nice wee Knife.
The origins of this knife is said to come from Herders Display sold during the closure. ( ex R. Procter collection :) ).

Dmkj9TS.jpg

XCXV6Ii.jpg

q1qUX6A.jpg

DCBpCrK.jpg

yvkAa7Z.jpg

gkX1T6V.jpg

anL0KgY.jpg

Another Herder, this time a big Boy steps into the ring!
A 6 inch closed F Herder Sodbuster, not the easiest to find in this size- and this one is in nice Shape, the Soddy as we know is a pretty basic Knife- But I really enjoy handling this Beast! I always enjoy seeing the Ace of Spades on these Knives too!

oSUKXgD.jpg

jYS1QLy.jpg

S4G7KS0.jpg

FAKQ5oP.jpg

AEvIAzn.jpg

uXmxQGw.jpg

Last one I promise...
I always had my suspicions that the story of Jack and the Beanstalk were true, and that Mum and Dad were just lying to me, I think now after all these years I have found true evidence that the Beanstalk and the Giant did exist!

Said to be found with a huge Bones that could only be described as Huge Human remains, this perfectly preserved Folder was found near by...

At nearly 9 inches closed this formidable Giant of a Knife is amazing! and as a bonus it's a Carl Schlieper as well- I am always a fan of Schliepers the forever seeing Eye Brand of Solingen!
In immaculate condition this Knife at nearly 9 inches closed is a handful to say the least, weighs a considerable amount as well!:eek:

zDCa1cW.jpg

kNqjOxx.jpg

T3TrFQp.jpg

This Knife also sports the Tweezers and a sturdy Pick as well!...
gOuQFpF.jpg

Last one I promise...
I always had my suspicions that the story of Jack and the Beanstalk were true, and that Mum and Dad were just lying to me, I think now after all these years I have found true evidence that the Beanstalk and the Giant did exist!

Said to be found with a huge Bones that could only be described as Huge Human remains, this perfectly preserved Folder was found near by...

At nearly 9 inches closed this formidable Giant of a Knife is amazing! and as a bonus it's a Carl Schlieper as well- I am always a fan of Schliepers the forever seeing Eye Brand of Solingen!
In immaculate condition this Knife at nearly 9 inches closed is a handful to say the least, weighs a considerable amount as well!:eek:

zDCa1cW.jpg

kNqjOxx.jpg

T3TrFQp.jpg

This Knife also sports the Tweezers and a sturdy Pick as well!...
gOuQFpF.jpg
:eek: Wow thats a monster sod buster for sure! Dang my memory is playing tricks on me, wasn't there someone recently looking for a bigger than normal sodbuster?

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman !! You have posted some beautiful knives, Duncan!!
The Herders are great!!
That Schleiper is amazing!! I have never seen "inserts" mounted at a main blade before - interesting and cool!!

Thank you Charlie.
Yes it’s a strange beast isn’t it! :eek:
Practicality goes out the Window - it’s an extremely solid, sturdily built knife that it makes me wonder that this was actually made to use and not just a display item.

Back