"Old Knives"

Yes, it does.
Is that common in Italian knives, or a sign of Italian/German hybridization? :confused:;)
Thanks for answering!
I just tested 15 older Italian knives. 9 have half-stops! Roughly the same percentage as many other places, I'd say.:rolleyes:
My reason for asking is that I have been mulling over a custom knife-to-be from a friend, and I think I will ask him to do a replica!!

In My Pocket alongside my AC Lambsfoot, this Ol Robeson has the Snap of a Gator! Takes a mean edge, and I know I am not the first to be victim of Half Stop attacks from super strong Springs- man this one got me good!
Someone well and truly loved this Knife, and as we find, the Pen looks to have the most use!
I refused to give in - and carried it- with me having weaker Nails- the stronger springs that have half stops present a danger as I have to swap Fingers to my middle finger being the stronger nail - therefore at times at risk :D
leY7uad.jpg

YS34KhZ.jpg

yc8SSBz.jpg

O8Qj2r6.jpg

In My Pocket alongside my AC Lambsfoot, this Ol Robeson has the Snap of a Gator! Takes a mean edge, and I know I am not the first to be victim of Half Stop attacks from super strong Springs- man this one got me good!
Someone well and truly loved this Knife, and as we find, the Pen looks to have the most use!
I refused to give in - and carried it- with me having weaker Nails- the stronger springs that have half stops present a danger as I have to swap Fingers to my middle finger being the stronger nail - therefore at times at risk :D
leY7uad.jpg

YS34KhZ.jpg

yc8SSBz.jpg

O8Qj2r6.jpg
Nicely worn (not too much!) Robeson Teardrop, Duncan!!
My nails aren't getting any stronger, so I know a little of how you feel about hard snaps, Duncan!:rolleyes:
I'll follow up Duncan's Robeson with a jumbo whittler of my own that I got the other day... another one those you wish the person hadn't polished off the blade character but the world may never fully learn that the rust is history :rolleyes:

View attachment 1451601 View attachment 1451602 View attachment 1451603 View attachment 1451605
Nice find, Kevin!!:thumbsup: Not too many of those left around!!:(

Nicely worn (not too much!) Robeson Teardrop, Duncan!!
My nails aren't getting any stronger, so I know a little of how you feel about hard snaps, Duncan!:rolleyes:

Nice find, Kevin!!:thumbsup: Not too many of those left around!!:(
I agree Charlie, the pattern caught my eye for sure and then the great Robeson bone sold me on it :D

Very very nice Duncan, I thank (blame) you for my interest in pen knives and I just received a beautiful wee Remington that I'll have to post here soon. It just arrived Saturday and the bone is what drew me to it. Mine has tip bolsters as well but the bail on yours just makes it so nice:thumbsup: back to the tip bolsters, I swear mine are integral:)
Speaking of nice little pen knives and Robeson's... How about a little of both?

ROBEYPEN-1A.JPG ROBEYPEN-1B.JPG ROBEYPEN-1C.JPG

Wow P&G Thise are great! Aren’t those older knives just something else!
I remember Charlie adding a comment to someone posting a Robeson that Robeson in the time frame from where that particular knife came is when Robeson were at the top of the World in Cutler industry - I 100% agree with him Robeson - especially early 1900’s produced spectacular knives with arguably some of the Nicest Bone one can find.
That Bone in the Robeson is quite striking with its deep and sharp jig work - the Colours too are just great!

It’s a shame that Ulster was posted with such a nice Robeson because that wee pen too is nothing but greatness wrapped up in one small bundle and it would be easy to over look the smaller yet as fine knife!

:) :cool: :thumbsup:

Kev - Nice early Stainless.
Camillus too in my opinion made some of the best knives!
Beautifully conditioned knife my friend - used well and yet still a great looking knife sporting wonderful Bone.
Oh to be a fly on the Wall in the extremely secretive Bone Jig rooms of these amazing Cutler firms.
I love the section of Mike Roebucks book “Gun Traders Guide to Collectable Knives” where it has a nice Chapter on such Jig work.

This goes for today as well - To be let into the closely guarded GEC’s Jigging department would be simply amazing! :eek::eek:

Kev - Nice early Stainless.
Camillus too in my opinion made some of the best knives!
Beautifully conditioned knife my friend - used well and yet still a great looking knife sporting wonderful Bone.
Oh to be a fly on the Wall in the extremely secretive Bone Jig rooms of these amazing Cutler firms.
I love the section of Mike Roebucks book “Gun Traders Guide to Collectable Knives” where it has a nice Chapter on such Jig work.

This goes for today as well - To be let into the closely guarded GEC’s Jigging department would be simply amazing! :eek::eek:
Thanks Duncan! Yeah I was holding the knife in my hand in the "working" position and could see the previous users wear marks on the bone and discoloration on the bottom springs. Pretty cool :thumbsup: The only bad thing about the stainless blades are the scratches compared to nice carbon steel patina but I love the quality of the Stainless Cut Co knives. Great action and the bone is remarkable. :)

Back