"Old Knives"

Charlie, do you wear a safety helment in case there's an avalanche of knives in the den? All of my knives are hard users. Send on the Empire and I'll break it in.
aaeJUPc.jpg

Mike - ALL your Knives users my friend? I’ve seen quite a few you have posted where one would not dare to use such a nice Knife :D :D :eek:
Charlie I fear Mike is telling tales just to get his greedy little mits on that Empire.
If you send that knife to me I will guarantee it’s safety Sir.
It will be a hard task - but of course I would do this for you. :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
QUOTE - Mike Robuck - "Charlie, do you wear a safety helment in case there's an avalanche of knives in the den? Always!!!:thumbsup: All of my knives are hard users. I see that!!:eek: Send on the Empire and I'll break it in. Sorry Mike, that knife is a sissy!! It could never stand the abuse!!:(
aaeJUPc.jpg
:D:D:D

Mike - ALL your Knives users my friend? I’ve seen quite a few you have posted where one would not date to use such a nice Knife :D :D :eek:
Charlie I fear Mike is telling tales just to get his greedy little mits on that Empire.
If you send that knife to me I will guarantee it’s safety Sir.
It will be a hard task - but of course I would do this for you. :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Nice try, Duncan!!;)
All of them, Duncan. I buy them minty to conduct batoning tests using various hardwoods. Send it to me Charlie.
No Way!!:p

Scary man!!:eek:

I came across this Tear Drop Jack, from New York Knife Co, Walden.
NYC moved to Walden in 1856.
The clip blade is full length, and has quite a deep belly, and both blades were marked before "Hammer Brand" was introduced. This may place this over-cleaned knife before 1880!! The shield might have been set too high, and was polished to a razor edge and beyond (factory second?). Handles look like darkened cocobola. 3 5/8" knife, shaped to a graceful Teardrop, typical of NYK's aesthetic!!:cool:
Beautiful Wabi-Sabi knife IMO!!;)View attachment 1546560 View attachment 1546561
Scratches are mine, not the knife's!!:(

Wow Charlie, nice knife, I have the exact same knife other than the spear blade, the end cap and the Hammer Brand.:D:D:D

IMG_0155.jpeg

I think then if we were to see this Can Opening about to happen, there would be batoning - but it would be Mike on the receiving end.

We would of course conduct ( or have Mike believe ) the Can Opening test in Mike's Garage, so that after we do actually take care of Mike by stopping him in his path of destruction - with the batoning, we then can move forward into Mike’s residence to rescue all of his knives from further batoning abuse.

Charlie if you could set up this meeting and we will go forth with this plan of action.

Thanks Jeff! You get me. Prying is an under-appreciated function for traditional knives. Take this Wilbert, for example. According to my notes: "Performed well on puncturing test, failed prying test due to tip of blade coming off. FAIL."
kGt7ukw.jpg

On the other hand, this NYC barlow opened a can of yellow paint with no problem at all.
FulMQUd.jpg

Back