"Old Knives"

Hahaha ! Thanks for clearing that up!
The bone on your IXL is excellent, I was just drooling over the same knife on the big auction site.

Au contraire, Rob. Colorado is the state of enlightenment.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite." Or to quote Jim Morrison, who based the name of his band on the above quote, "Break on through to the other side."

Baton on, people. The road to enlightenment is littered with busted up vintage knives...

Really nice knives, Luger!

Knife content:
RR84czg.jpg

Oh Man! I have had some good laughs with you guys- great stuff!
Mike, I may just bring another spare leg of NZ Lamb with me- once she gets a taste of that my friend- nothing compares!

Luger, that’s a couple of very nice knives my friend. Exquisite condition the both of them!

Beautiful I*XL that one Mike, I like the Jig work- sometimes the early Jig work on the Sheffield's could be rather plain in comparison to what we have seen- he not all the time because just look at that very nice example! :) :thumbsup:

I am enjoying all the nice knives and getting quite a few chuckles from the old knives thread over the last couple of days :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am pretty pleased with this old Empire scout. Slanted bolsters, lovely bone, and still has its original blade etch. According to Goins the stamp would place the knife sometime between 1856-1930
EDIT: as Charlie kindly pointed out the knife had to be made sometime between 1910-1930 since the Boyscouts organization didn't exist in the USA until 1910.
HlZoc9Y.jpg

Vj0WGL2.jpg

z8u7Gkm.jpg

miweucP.jpg

Last edited:
QUOTE=pistonsandgears - "I am enjoying all the nice knives and getting quite a few chuckles from the old knives thread over the last couple of days :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am pretty pleased with this old Empire scout. Slanted bolsters, lovely bone, and still has its original blade etch. According to Goins the stamp would place the knife sometime between 1856-1930
HlZoc9Y.jpg

Vj0WGL2.jpg

z8u7Gkm.jpg

miweucP.jpg
I have hunted Empire scouts, and seen many, but never as nice, nor with those great Bolsters!!:eek: Wonderful find P&G!!:cool:

According to Goins the stamp would place the knife sometime between 1856-1930

Since the Boy Scouts were founded ~1910, A good guess would be the knife was made just before, or just after, WWI, IMO! Many knife makers got into the "Scout" act, sanctioned or not, eventually!!:p

Last edited:
Since the Boy Scouts were founded ~1910, A good guess would be the knife was made just before, or just after, WWI, IMO! Many knife makers got into the "Scout" act, sanctioned or not, eventually!!:p

Thanks Charlie, yes the date range in the book is pretty broad, don't know if there is a better way to narrow down the age. You are right of course, it would have to have been made after 1910 and before 1930, so that does narrow down the range quite a bit.

Back