"Old Knives"

Nice Remington T thedonald just thing one thing, I canā€™t see Remington letting that go outside.
It would not have passed QC - probably not even got to QC, so thatā€™s a bit of a mystery.
Either that or it may have had a Shield that was lost- and a poor replacement but with Remington the Shields should be pinned- so ??

The only other way of really looking hard at the Knife is find a Remington Catalogue with that Jack in it, and have a really good look at that knife and do a comparison.

Here are three Salesmanā€˜s Sample Schrade Cuts covered in stag. I recently was able to acquire these and two other
curved tang stamp Schrades (photos coming) out of an old collection. From top a regular Jack 3 & 1/2 inches, middle an equal end Jack 3 & 5/8 inches and finally a congress pattern 3 & 1/2 inches. The two Jacks have crocus mirror polished primary mark
side blades all other blades glaze polished while the Congress has all blade surfaces crocus mirror polished. Never sharpened
post production.

View attachment 1644761View attachment 1644762View attachment 1644763View attachment 1644773View attachment 1644765View attachment 1644766

Beauties Lloyd, I think I know who you obtained those from, I'm pretty sure I had a look at those and bought 2 other knives from the same collection. All the knives were pretty much mint.

Hi Barbababa
What's the idea behind the design of the uppermost blade?
Lovely knife!
Itā€™s referred to as ā€œraderbladā€ wich translates to ā€œerase bladeā€. From what I have read it was used to erase when writing in ink. I use it to release vacuum on jelly jars when they get stuck šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s referred to as ā€œraderbladā€ wich translates to ā€œerase bladeā€. From what I have read it was used to erase when writing in ink. I use it to release vacuum on jelly jars when they get stuck šŸ˜‚
As an old teacher of mine once said, "there's no silly questions if ears are open for answers".
Now I know!! Good repurposing! :)

Nice Remington T thedonald just thing one thing, I canā€™t see Remington letting that go outside.
It would not have passed QC - probably not even got to QC, so thatā€™s a bit of a mystery.
Either that or it may have had a Shield that was lost- and a poor replacement but with Remington the Shields should be pinned- so ??

The only other way of really looking hard at the Knife is find a Remington Catalogue with that Jack in it, and have a really good look at that knife and do a comparison.
I checked the blade well and there is one pin visible. I will have to do some investigating. Thank you for your suggestion and recomendation.

I checked the blade well and there is one pin visible. I will have to do some investigating. Thank you for your suggestion and recomendation.
Shields usually have one pin. I'll bet you have a replacement!! Still a great knife!!

I read my list this morning and kinda slapped myself- it sounded like I was critical of your knife- Iā€™m not by any means, like Charlie says itā€™s a nice Knife! šŸ‘
I should have worded it better and please accept my apologies - Remington make stunning knives as yours is, It seems a little of a mystery why the gaps of the Shield are there.
I too would have picked that knife up in a hurry as well if I had seen it for sale!

I read my list this morning and kinda slapped myself- it sounded like I was critical of your knife- Iā€™m not by any means, like Charlie says itā€™s a nice Knife! šŸ‘
I should have worded it better and please accept my apologies - Remington make stunning knives as yours is, It seems a little of a mystery why the gaps of the Shield are there.
I too would have picked that knife up in a hurry as well if I had seen it for sale!
Did not take this a criticism at all. I value each of your opinions. That is why i posted this knife. I am in love with this particular knife, as it hardly looks used, relatively full blades and the old bone handles are awesome. Thank you both again for waying in with your insight and wisdom.

What amazes me is the condition of the old knives in this thread. They were made to last both mechanically and aesthetically. This wirejack is not as stylish as some (unless youā€™re a minimalist) but it was built to last. At about 75 years old, it still makes an excellent edc and with a little care will easily double that lifespan. George Schrade sure knew what he was doing.7A43A402-5BFC-495D-8F10-3E5110D26F25.jpeg

I think that knife's a little newish to have an ink eraser blade. It looks to me more like a form of can opener.

I think that knife's a little newish to have an ink eraser blade. It looks to me more like a form of can opener.
I have actually just sent an email to EKA with the question of both the age of the knife and usage of those blades. It looks like a watch opener knife with bevel on only one side, but they are refered to as "raderblad". The model is named 118 and was in the 1933 EKA catalogue and was produced for a long time with basicly the same tools but with different handles. I have one more but without the nickel silver bolsters and carbon steel.
Unfortunately the back spring for the tools are broken, but the knifes and owl are workable

r8shell r8shell as a knifemaker and craftsman, may I ask if you have ever repaired or filled out cracks and cuts in celluloide? I have just started a acetone and celluloid shavings to try to make some glue/filler. I have tried UHU Hart glue before but wanted to try to make my own colour mixture ;) Any tips are welcome :)

r8shell r8shell as a knifemaker and craftsman, may I ask if you have ever repaired or filled out cracks and cuts in celluloide? I have just started a acetone and celluloid shavings to try to make some glue/filler. I have tried UHU Hart glue before but wanted to try to make my own colour mixture ;) Any tips are welcome :)
I'm a craftsman, but not a knife maker. I've patched wood, bone, and mother of pearl, and I once replaced covers entirely in epoxy with some powdered pigment mixed in. I wouldn't recommend trying to repair celluloid, and while I'm no chemist, I think mixing acetone and celluloid sounds like a bad idea. It can be volatile stuff.

I would recommend removing the cell covers entirely and replacing with something else.

Further reading:

I have actually just sent an email to EKA with the question of both the age of the knife and usage of those blades. It looks like a watch opener knife with bevel on only one side, but they are refered to as "raderblad". The model is named 118 and was in the 1933 EKA catalogue and was produced for a long time with basicly the same tools but with different handles. I have one more but without the nickel silver bolsters and carbon steel.
Unfortunately the back spring for the tools are broken, but the knifes and owl are workable
Please post their reply when you hear from them. :cool:šŸ‘

I'm a craftsman, but not a knife maker. I've patched wood, bone, and mother of pearl, and I once replaced covers entirely in epoxy with some powdered pigment mixed in. I wouldn't recommend trying to repair celluloid, and while I'm no chemist, I think mixing acetone and celluloid sounds like a bad idea. It can be volatile stuff.

I would recommend removing the cell covers entirely and replacing with something else.

Further reading:
I forgot to link this https://newpentrace.net/articleGT02.html
I heard that old accordion use to have celluloid on their fronts, guitar pics and sometimes inlays or decor parts. I just want to fill the small nicks and scratches on the surface on some knife handles, so I am not as worried as the guy in the link you provided ;)
*will get back with the answer from EKA when it comes :)

Back