"Old Knives"

This is an old Remington Jack that is in such pristine condition, I don't use it...not that it is worth that much, but the old bone is so nice. Perhaps someone here can estiate its age? You may note in the last picture, on the handle beneath the shield, it seems as though this knife was meant to have a round shield. I don't think the knife was altered by anyone however. Presume it came from the factory this way.
qNNHFoB.jpg

6FPtkJC.jpg
Nice knife. Remington made nice stuff. These seem to be a fairly common pattern. I think what you have there may actually be how it came from the factory. I have a knife of the same pattern with what looks to be the same shield and similar fill around the shield. Perhaps Remington intended these to be a working knife and was willing to allow some gap around the shield, or perhaps in production they decided to go with a different shield, would be interesting to know the answer.
DXmTfuq.jpg

I used to have one of those "premium jacks" as well. It is perhaps less noticeable, but on mine the bone was cut away from a bigger area than the shield size as well. The sunken joints make me think it was not intended by Remington to be a beater.

KT0aMW8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice knife. Remington made nice stuff. These seem to be a fairly common pattern. I think what you have there may actually be how it came from the factory. I have a knife of the same pattern with what looks to be the same shield and similar fill around the shield. Perhaps Remington intended these to be a working knife and was willing to allow some gap around the shield, or perhaps in production they decided to go with a different shield, would be interesting to know the answer.
DXmTfuq.jpg
Thank you for your reply and observations. My original thought was the same; that it came from the factory this way, due to the fact that there was no evidence that I could see that there was any tampering, the aged bone of the scales, etc. Your knife would seem to help validate that theory. A beautiful example you have there.

All you guys have great examples of that Remington, Really interesting to see this model has the same characteristic gapping around the Shield, as P&G said it would be very interesting to find out!

This knife was given to me recently and I know nothing about it. The tang stamp is "AKXLN". The blade is about 4 1/2 inches, but based on the length of the sheath I think the tip was broken and the blade reshaped. The handle material appears to be smooth bone or some sort of ivory. The blade guard is loose. During an internet search I found a similar knife with a suggested age of the 19th century, but I have no idea how accurate that is. Any guesses about this knife will be appreciated.

Bert

1 copy.jpeg2 copy.jpeg3 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Far too many great old knives for me to comment on individually, but the truth is the knives posted in this thread keep me on the hunt, very enjoyable thread. Thanks for all the great knife pics everyone !

While I was visiting St Louis Mo recently I found this Henry Sears and Sons. 3" closed, in hand it feels and looks bigger, the thick, rounded pearl covers give it that bigger feel. It's a very well made knife that makes me wonder how the spear fits in the frame😲
nSI9lki.jpeg

kYM71fU.jpeg

Interesting little birthmark, the match strike cuts into the spine.
Rt9uHn5.jpeg

Far too many great old knives for me to comment on individually, but the truth is the knives posted in this thread keep me on the hunt, very enjoyable thread. Thanks for all the great knife pics everyone !

While I was visiting St Louis Mo recently I found this Henry Sears and Sons. 3" closed, in hand it feels and looks bigger, the thick, rounded pearl covers give it that bigger feel. It's a very well made knife that makes me wonder how the spear fits in the frame😲
nSI9lki.jpeg

kYM71fU.jpeg

Rt9uHn5.jpeg
There's a touch of something about that knife, been looking at it and it has that just right vibe that I always find hard to verbalise when proportions and build are "just so".
Grinds look real crisp and thin at the edge, will you sharpen and use it Rockman?

nSI9lki.jpeg

kYM71fU.jpeg

Rt9uHn5.jpeg
Could the match strike be done like that on purpose? Maybe it´s easier to "start" the match stick from that gap?
Lovely knife with that thick MOP :)

T thedonald & I ISKRA
These good ‘ole bone handled jacks are Remington R1823 models, made in the thirties from memory and lurvely indeed.
They were factory ink stamped.
The couple of examples I own are slightly different in build and dimensions. One is all-iron and flatter, the other has brass liners and is slightly slimmer, yet rounder on the whole.
Here’s a shot of the duo together…
F924DE55-EAD2-4912-A6AD-59EC78B0ADAC.jpeg
83D68E29-1BF4-48D2-A9BA-32531BFD95F1.jpeg
Great show ALL !!
I’ve got lots of catching up to do here…
Duncan’s handy work is holding me up, willingly of course!!
JohnDF’s Hollinger jack!!
Cal’s brass Southington looks sublime!!
John’s first Remi Bullet is quite a score and Lloyd’s Schrade Cut Co. haul is mawvellous ain’t it ??
Rob, Charlie, Northshore, and others…
I’m hot on your trails!!

Back