"Old Knives"

Every antique store around me only has knives that are basically destroyed.

I know that feeling. I'll go a long time without finding anything I like, and then I get lucky. You just have to keep looking. I just finished a 1500 mile road trip and found half a dozen decent knives. This Imperial is from RI, USA and still has the factory edge. It also has a sticker on the scaling blade that looks factory, but it's not one I've seen before. Very bright green and mirror blades.

93RqMBs.jpg

pgWEvtI.jpg

Nice knife; nice cell! My only option is pretty much just ebay and occasionally off the 2 forums. Otherwise I might as well be in Africa. There are no flea markets in Wyoming, no knife shows, and the 'antique' stores and pawn shops are just garbage dumps. Btw, what are "Irish or Congress Jacks"?

what are "Irish or Congress Jacks"?

Union Cut. Co. Olean NY

It's got long matchstrike pulls and nice swedges on all three blades, and milled liners. Pearl's in good shape, but the blade edges are pretty chipped up. Also, someone with the initials "PP" or possibly "dd" marked the sheepfoot with one of those electric engraving things. :rolleyes:
I think I might just sharpen it up and carry it.

FaAo6Hk.jpg

0u1Vsvv.jpg

6Q6Fd6D.jpg

Union Cut. Co. Olean NY

It's got long matchstrike pulls and nice swedges on all three blades, and milled liners. Pearl's in good shape, but the blade edges are pretty chipped up. Also, someone with the initials "PP" or possibly "dd" marked the sheepfoot with one of those electric engraving things. :rolleyes:

FaAo6Hk.jpg

0u1Vsvv.jpg

6Q6Fd6D.jpg
Here is another one in a similar vein; it is a scant 3 1/2 inches. Dassn't have milled liners, though.
View attachment 1660538View attachment 1660539
I like these "Wabi Sabis", Rachel and Cal!! Knives you can enjoy worry-free!!

Union Cut. Co. Olean NY

FaAo6Hk.jpg

0u1Vsvv.jpg

6Q6Fd6D.jpg
Particularly Perfect

Here is another one in a similar vein; it is a scant 3 1/2 inches. Dassn't have milled liners, though.
View attachment 1660538View attachment 1660539
Wow, that's a wonderful one with my favorite blade combination.
I like these "Wabi Sabis", Rachel and Cal!! Knives you can enjoy worry-free!!

Particularly Perfect
:D👍
That would be a wonderful knife to carry!
It's my favorite kind of knife: Old and rare, but not in such pristine condition that I shouldn't sharpen and carry it.

Another example of Wabi Sabi - brought back to usefulness with a fine edge! The pitting on the blade is here to stay, requiring too much metal removal to erase. But the edge came up wickedly sharp, and performs well! The stag can only mellow like this with time and handling!! The stag is so thin and finely fitted, it crumbled slightly at the edge on the pile side, but it is no impediment to function or enjoyment!!
Another great knife that enjoys pocket time - a pleasure for a Schrade Nut like myself!!
Wabi Sabi B 1.jpgWabi Sabi B 2.jpgWabi Sabi B 3.jpg

This page shows how good an uncleaned survivor can look, good show all.

I have a few patterns I collect, one is sheepsfoot jacks, these are most of the ones I have accumulated so far. Most are well before 1930, not an easy pattern to find.

IMG_2514.jpegIMG_2345.jpegIMG_2805.jpegIMG_3386.jpegIMG_3524.jpegIMG_3815.jpegIMG_4436.jpegIMG_4446.jpegIMG_4583.jpeg

Last edited:
Wunderful John!!
Those sheep’s long pulls and lines are sharp!
The warmth in those bones is so fiery…
and that krispy stag :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back