"Old Knives"

This page shows how good an uncleaned survivor can look, good show all.

I have a few patterns I collect, one is sheepsfoot jacks, these are most of the ones I have accumulated so far. Most are well before 1930, not an easy pattern to find.

View attachment 1663407View attachment 1663408View attachment 1663409View attachment 1663410View attachment 1663411View attachment 1663412View attachment 1663413View attachment 1663414View attachment 1663415
WOW John!!!! fantastic cutlery, I swear I like em more than Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman , I'm always second guessing if he's sincere or not, I mean, like remember that phone prank he pulled on you John??? I said "I don't know Duncan if you should do that" but would he listen??? :rolleyes: 🤣 Oh, ok, he's a pretty good guy after all😉

Serious now....The covers are amazing John as are the knives themselves, a treasure to look at :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WOW John!!!! fantastic cutlery, I swear I like em more than Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman , I'm always second guessing if he's sincere or not, I mean, like remember that phone prank he pulled on you John??? I said "I don't know Duncan if you should do that" but would he listen??? :rolleyes: 🤣 Oh, ok, he's a pretty good guy after all😉

Serious now....The covers are amazing John as are the knives themselves, a treasure to look at :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you all for the nice comments. Paul.those were some good times with friends, I hope one day we can all get together again at a knife event, we had a great time, just have to watch out for Duncan😁

Three more of the sheepsfooot jacks, an Ulster teardrop, a Cattaraugus and an old Miller Brothers which although well worn still has great snap and amazing bone.

IMG_2890.jpegIMG_2859.jpegIMG_2851.jpeg

Uncommonly seen in stag. Precursor to the SW 804. The catalog cut shown here has a suffix to indicate "fibestos" handles. The proper suffix for this knife would be GS for "genuine stag."
View attachment 1663666View attachment 1663667View attachment 1663668

What a great knife Cal, I have one but mine has been cleaned, yours looks so much better unmolested.

For new collectors of vintage knives this is a great example of what not to do with a rare knife, you can compare Cal's fine example to my cleaned one and see why cleaning is frowned upon, the history is gone. Shiny is not better.

IMG_0879.jpegIMG_0873.jpeg

Sure thing there John…
A beaut nonetheless yet not sharp on those defining lines! Polishers and cleaners kill so many of these unique and defining edges ruining the whole and complete package.
I’ll only attend to rust-red pores with an oiled toothpick first, then maybe… and I do mean maybe, use a spot of flitz.
The greying of a good ole’ carbon blade with its factory edges is honest and just sublime.
Thank you yet again for another mawvellous show !!

Thank you all for the nice comments. Paul.those were some good times with friends, I hope one day we can all get together again at a knife event, we had a great time, just have to watch out for Duncan😁

Three more of the sheepsfooot jacks, an Ulster teardrop, a Cattaraugus and an old Miller Brothers which although well worn still has great snap and amazing bone.

View attachment 1663920View attachment 1663921View attachment 1663922
Wow, what a trio! The bone on the Miller Bros is spectacular.

IMG_2859.jpeg
That's a Dream Knife right there. 🤠 :thumbsup:
I know how rare it is to come across a Sheep/Pen combo with end caps and shield... I've been looking and they are very few and far between.

Here's a recent arrival, it was cleaned a little but thankfully not polished. The past 6 months or so I've been enjoying carrying a half congress to work, they are thin and light. Sheepsfoot or lambsfoot is my preference for the main blade in any 2 blade pattern. I've favored a 3.5" Ulster but had my eye out for a larger congress so I made an offer on this 3 7/8" IXL. I'll sharpen it this afternoon and put her in the rotation.

8BhMgNv.jpeg

If I need a change of scenery all I have to do is flip it over:cool:
6fDyXXV.jpeg

You see a lot of comments about well matched stag covers and I agree it's a very desirable thing but there's something to be said for 2 totally opposite covers as well.

It's nice thin stag too.
Et9bray.jpeg

Back