"Old Knives"

Found this old Camillus Barlow today in one of my Dad's old tackle boxes -- front side of the blade is pretty rough (sorry about the crappy cell phone pics):

Last edited:
Here is an unusual whittler BENETFINK /CHEAPSIDE. (1850-1875) listed in the London knife Book, but shows Made in Sheffield on the reverse side. I loved the stag.

benetfinkstagwhittler1.jpg

benetfinkstagwhittler2.jpg

One of my favorite pieces a near mint Cattaraugus wharncliffe with jigged bone covers.

cattaraugusbone1.jpg

cattaraugusbone2.jpg

cattaraugusbone3.jpg

Here is one I recently acquired. I have had this over on the Bernard Levine forum for a bit and have not come up with too much solid data. General consensus is European, with either Germany or France likely. So far no one has seen the tang stamp. No other markings except the one picture shown.

3 5/8" Multi-Blade Horn Scales

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Brad! - that knife has absolutely Gorgeous scales - oh man what a Knife!!!!!!
The styling of that Corkscrew would suggest those regions wouldn't it?-but hey I am usually miles off lol, that knife my friend is in superb condition for its age - check out the nice wee touch on the Bail ends - very cool!
I really love some of the old knives you are showing lately!! Thank you!!

I myself do not have anything new to show off,that you have not seen me already show off,but,check this out ,not mine but just sharing
-Vince
01-18-2008_060220PM.jpg

Drop forged over 100 years ago form virgin steel (NOT recycled like the steel that is used today.) in a Sabatier factory in Thiers France These pieces are a real find. They were located in a warehouse owned by a gentleman who purchased an entire Elephant Sabatier factory in Thiers France years ago, had the entire contents loaded into containers and shipped over here. The blades are straight with a full tapered tang. These blanks are virgin forged, the edges on the blades have not been ground or worked in any way. What a find, when these are gone they will be gone for good.The blade measures 9 3/4 X 1 1/4 inches and is not marked. This Blade is an unusually hefty 1/8th inch thick at the bolster. Very nice for a knife of this size. The overall length of this knife blank is 14 1/4 inches. Total weight is 6 3/4 oz

w.png

One funny and one sad:
I thought I was doing pretty well when I grabbed this yesterday-
vv4dR3hx

Then I got it home and found this on the other blade:
gTFm4X5k

Somebody did a good job putting it together, anyway; not that you can tell from this picture:
AEEe0piO

Here's the sad one.
TMe4pkqG

C2RItmIi

MOOKJRHD

Clip on the broken spring, pen and nail-file on the sound spring.

Last edited:
I believe that NYKC Walden / Hammer Brand is all correct. From a tang stamp aspect. IMHO

Last edited:
I believe that NYKC Walden / Hammer Brand is all correct. From a tang stamp aspect. IMHO

When a pocket knife is as old as that ,give or take, who's to say it was not taken apart & re assembled for a repair ? Looks good to me as well & I like that pattern.

When a pocket knife is as old as that ,give or take, who's to say it was not taken apart & re assembled for a repair ? Looks good to me as well & I like that pattern.

Vince, I was only trying to say the tang stamps look correct which is what appears to be his issue. I have a number of examples that are a match. I totally agree the knife could have been taken apart at sometime for whatever reason.

The New York Walden is correct - I too have knives like this - its a great knife - you scored very well.

Vince, I was only trying to say the tang stamps look correct which is what appears to be his issue. I have a number of examples that are a match. I totally agree the knife could have been taken apart at sometime for whatever reason.

I understand. I was pointing out,that in 100 years time,less or more,who knows how a knife winds up to be the way it is when a person stumbles onto it , now. So the "experts" certainly can be fooled every now n then. Another pointer for fellows dabbling in these old knives....
Slow down & research what you found,do not rush & judge on one person's theory,recommendation,etc. I have had a few that I was told by "experts" to be one thing,then when showed to others they dis agree'd. At the end of the day it might be a pretty tough investigation to conduct. But smell the roses & enjoy them :)

Check this one out that recently came & went out of here

DSCN7574_zps60ceaf42.jpg

DSCN7576_zps67af6a3f.jpg

Blade sits off center,any info on where to send it back for correction :)
DSCN7578_zpscdeba8dc.jpg

DSCN7580_zps4c81b2e9.jpg

Some O.J. warped it , ha haa
DSCN7582_zps84d97a57.jpg

DSCN7583_zps7e69d12d.jpg

DSCN7586_zpsce5a182b.jpg

DSCN7588_zpsf31bfe53.jpg

That ixl is gorgeous.

Thanks for the input on my funny knife, guys. I forget how early and often these knife companies bought and sold each other.
I'm not too worried about getting rich from my knives, and I've stopped buying used-up knives in the hope that they used to be something special (except for that DE, I guess). This hammer-walden was worth more than I paid because it's solidly built, it has a lot of blade left, and it's a cool pattern that I didn't have. The fact that it might all be original is a nice bonus.

I watched that American Shear knife go thru ebay and dreamed about it for a week solid, checked it about a thousand times, fooling myself into thinking I might get it. Well I obviously didn't but it is so cool to be able to see it again. That would be my all time favorite knife too. Thanks for posting it.

Back