"Old Knives"

Aha!!:eek: A beautiful mystery knife!!!! Nice going, John!!:thumbsup:
The question is, WHO made it???:D:D

10 weeks????:eek:
Thank goodness you can see the end of the tunnel!!
I wish you better health!!

Me too Jack, hope you feel better, back pain is miserable.

Thanks a lot guys, it's not been as bad as the last time I had it, but it has dragged on a bit :(

Picked up this no name jack this week,only marked Made In USA, great bone and pretty full blades, pretty sure pre WW2 by the look of the bone and the pins. The nail nick on the pen blade looks unusual to me.

View attachment 800541View attachment 800543 View attachment 800544

What a lovely knife :) Always so frustrating not to find a tang stamp :(

Here's a 4-line Camillus of the same pattern (it doesn't have that lovely swedge though).

Camillus Jack 1S.JPG

Camillus Jack 14.JPG

Last edited:
Charlie, the Navy knives are simply great.

I've been advocating for somebody to put together a "complete set" and you're just the man to do it.

There was a nice Cattaraugus on Ebay this past week. I almost started out on my own quest.

Good luck. It will be a wonderful display.

Can you get a close-up shot of the stamp(s), Augie?

I will tomorrow Charlie after work. I've looked at other knives I have and I think it might be a Winchester, the Made In USA is very close and the bone is also close. If you look close at the tang of the no name knife it looks like the name was ground off.
Thanks for everyone's input and thoughts on the knife, Duncan, Utica is another good thought.

Pic of the knife with a Winchester.

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

Augie, I must apologize as I was going by my memory thinking back to when this came up a while ago in the Scout Knives, ashamedly I thought "Oh yeah I remember..." I was actually meant to refer Ulster not Utica I'm sorry, I thought there was more to it, so I went to my notes on the Camp knives that were discussed a while ago, and Sears and Roebuck used that Tang Stamp.
Soz.......... I had a wee peek in Goins and Goins states that indeed Sears & Roebuck had Knives made by Camillus, Schrade and Ulster.
So I would like to put my bet in and say Ulster made your Knife, in the Scout Knife Mystery - where Charlie put up a Knife with the same Tang stamp - refer here Augie.......
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-see-your-scout-camp-knives.1463060/page-31

Found this old Cattaraugus 22069 Congress in southern Illinois : The picture in the Old Catt Catalogue shows that the main blade on this when new would have been a Sheepsfoot . As you can see , there has been a little change to the straight edge . Knife has real tight bone covers , pins , and shield . Blades Open and Close with the typical Cattaraugus Thwack . Very happy to find this one . The catalogue picture shows that there may have been some Indian Trails ( or worm tracks ) but there are No Indications in the jigging that there ever were on this now .

Harry

Charlie, the Navy knives are simply great.

I've been advocating for somebody to put together a "complete set" and you're just the man to do it.

There was a nice Cattaraugus on Ebay this past week. I almost started out on my own quest.

Good luck. It will be a wonderful display.
I feel like I am on that road, Charlie - with any luck!!:cool:

A German penknife with Art Nouveau style sterling silver scales made by Vom Cleff & Co circa 1900ish.
View attachment 798605
View attachment 798606

About 35 years ago, I worked in a little wood working shop in Macks Creek Mo. Two doors down was Bonnies Cafe. The only place for food or coffee for miles ~ incredible fried pies, btw, so we were in there just about every day for coffee and pie. The old boys that hung out there had a tradition of offering unsuspecting rubes (apparently I fit that mold) a chance to Trade pocket knives sight unseen.

I only had one ~ my trusty Shrade Trapper, so I politely declined. I found out later that they all carried a "throw down" knife. The cheaper, duller, rustier, broken, the better.

This is not a knife with which one should not enter into such a deal.

The long pull and swedging on that main blade is simply perfect.

This is pretty obscure, too. No marks at all. I think the plating is nickel rather than chrome, but I always like to think that. Steel pins and liners, and a uselessly shallow nail nick. The EO notch would have been bigger, but those fat steel liners didn't cooperate. With the flat grind I can get a good grip on the spine.
XDSfIqS.jpg

Best pic of four- sorry.
Best of 8: a little better.
tsODr9q.jpg

Last edited:
Schrade Cut Premium (Texas pattern) stock knife no. 08883 with oblique bolsters. It is 4 inches closed. This knife has seen a lot of use with the peach seed handle high spots worn smooth. However, it has a lot of character, has been well cared for and the mechanics are excellent with great snap and no play on any of the blades when fully deployed. Just a very well made folder exhibiting outstanding Cutlery workmanship. I believe Charlie has a very high grade example. By the way I got this one from him at OKCA show earlier this year. Thanks Charlie!! Happy Thanksgiving EveryoneIMG_1648.jpg DSCF1218.JPG

Back