"Old Knives"

You are welcome my friend, I have owned many actual Deer Foot Fixed Blades in my time of Knife collecting, still own a very nice ( as nice as a cut off Deer's foot can be ) Deers Foot Folder - in fact its quite large compared to most I have seen, and seems to be quite high in Quality.
Its a Ring Lockback Folder made by Fredrick Herder & Son, Solingen.

Would love to see that Herder example if possible.

Here are a couple of early 1900s era A. W. Wadsworth models with real deer foot handles.

View attachment 992117

Sure thing Herder my friend...
Please forgive the very quick early morning Cell Phone Pics.....
At six inches closed - this is a large Folder, the photos suck in terrible light which makes the Deers Hoof seem much lighter thab what it is, usually these Knives loose the hair - I notice your two are very good condition Herder - as this one is as well.

J1IxbAw.jpg

The Ring works when the Knife is open - the Ring stands up - to close the knife your Thumb presses the Ring forward and a Cam forces the itself onto the Blades Spine and unlocks the Knife....

UHofoSs.jpg

pGPDOSu.jpg

9pco8kC.jpg

Definitely not a Schrade. Schrades and Empires are unique, 4 1/8" and having the pivot pin on the pruning blade in the meat of the bolster instead of in the rat tail.
I'm not sure how many manufacturers made a modified model like this other than Schade, but certainly Camillus and Utica:

Hank Hanson's 4 line Camillus with bark cutter.JPG Utica rooster comb (2).jpg

^^^Mr. Lyle, whatever it is, it's magnificent!!!!^^^^
As are the rest!!! I keep hoping to walk into an antique shop and I look in the knife display and there one is:)

Sure thing Herder my friend...
Please forgive the very quick early morning Cell Phone Pics.....
At six inches closed - this is a large Folder, the photos suck in terrible light which makes the Deers Hoof seem much lighter thab what it is, usually these Knives loose the hair - I notice your two are very good condition Herder - as this one is as well.

J1IxbAw.jpg

The Ring works when the Knife is open - the Ring stands up - to close the knife your Thumb presses the Ring forward and a Cam forces the itself onto the Blades Spine and unlocks the Knife....

UHofoSs.jpg

pGPDOSu.jpg

9pco8kC.jpg

Great old F. Herder, Campbellclanman!!!
I see these Herder models with and without hand guards and with or without corkscrews in both flat clip and saber clip blades from as early as 1904 to as late as 1928.

View attachment 992548

Definitely not a Schrade. Schrades and Empires are unique, 4 1/8" and having the pivot pin on the pruning blade in the meat of the bolster instead of in the rat tail.
I'm not sure how many manufacturers made a modified model like this other than Schade, but certainly Camillus and Utica:

View attachment 992328 View attachment 992329

I change my vote to Camillus made. :)
Is your A. Fields model 3-7/8 inches long as this Camillus catalog cut states?

View attachment 992549

The Utica and Camillus flat bladers are extremely similar, with little difference to their exteriors. The real evident difference is in the thickness of the brass liners, Camillus models all have extra thick liners. The A Fields knife has these extra thick liners and from what I can deduce it is Camillus DNA. Yes Herder it is the customary heavy 3 7/8”.

On the other hand this A Fields is not related ,except in name.A Fields307.jpg A Fields303.jpg A Fields305.jpg

It's brother would be this knife,which as Bill Howard had suggested to me (before I obtained this Schatt and Morgan and confirmed it), came from the old Schatt - Queen factory.

Schatt and Morgan396.jpg Schatt and Morgan398.jpg Schatt and Morgan400.jpg

Last edited:
Both the Schatt and A Fields are obviously smaller farmers jacks at just a slim 3 3/4" rather than the almost 4" beefier traditional farmers jack. Schatt also excluded the traditional rat tail bolsters. The size difference is not as pronounced in these scans as it is in hand.
Schrade and Schatt then Schatt and A Fields.Schatt and Schrade comparison423.jpg Schatt and A Fields comparison424.jpg

David Clark didn't realize there was one either Dave, even though it was in the catalog he made reprints of. I was at his table and asked him about a Schatt farmers jack as I thumbed through his reprint there. He said he hadn't seen one, and about that time I spotted this.

Schatt and Morgan FJ.JPG

Great old F. Herder, Campbellclanman!!!
I see these Herder models with and without hand guards and with or without corkscrews in both flat clip and saber clip blades from as early as 1904 to as late as 1928.

View attachment 992548
Thank you for showing the Catalog Herder my friend- the photos do make out that the blade is heavily pitted - in fact the blade has those staining marks we see - yet the blade is still very shiny and has not one surface pitfall, it’s quite weird in a way.
I didn’t realise the knife was quite that early - in saying this I haven’t researched it at all and you have shed great light on the knife for me :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back