"Old Knives"

Another nice Robeson punch model, you'd think they were common. :)
I think Robeson made quite a few of them, herder!! After collecting HJs for many years, I have discovered they weren't the hardest to find. Best condition ones were rare though.

I think Robeson made quite a few of them, herder!! After collecting HJs for many years, I have discovered they weren't the hardest to find. Best condition ones were rare though.

Thanks, and out of curiosity, which do you find is the unicorn of HJs?

Thanks, and out of curiosity, which do you find is the unicorn of HJs?
This Hudson's Bay HJ is the only one I have ever seen, herder. Bernie Levine once owned it and agrees with the rarity. I am lucky to have it!!

HUDSONSBAYHJCOMPOSITE.jpg

Older HJs in general are hard to find. Manufacturers stopped making them, as horses disappeared from our streets, and as machine belts were improved.

Herder - your Knives you show are outstanding!!
Another two beauties!!

Charlie- you have my heart beating a bit faster now - That Hudson’s Bay Harness Jack :eek: :eek: :eek:

I actually trying to get hold of Bernard at this moment- no luck - no answering emails etc. o_O

I remember Bernard talking about rare knives - and he stated that just because there is only one or two does not make it more valuable at all in fact the opposite.
I could never understand this - most probably because of my lack of knowledge- but from what I seen and experienced in the Knife World and Car World etc rare or unique pulls in collectors and admirers and only increases the want for that particular item because of the knowledge that there are few - therefore making whatever it may be a pinnacle of the collection knowing others don’t have it.

Because I want that Hudson HJ!!!! Lol :D

This Hudson's Bay HJ is the only one I have ever seen, herder. Bernie Levine once owned it and agrees with the rarity. I am lucky to have it!!

View attachment 990144

Older HJs in general are hard to find. Manufacturers stopped making them, as horses disappeared from our streets, and as machine belts were improved.

Charlie, that is one incredibly rare fantastic knife, you have quite a collection, thanks for posting that knife.

I did find one one nice old knife this week, an early maybe unused Utica curved tang stamp dogleg jack, celluloid handles, has some corrosion from age, don't think it's from off gassing, just age.

IMG_9359.jpg IMG_9363.jpg IMG_9362.jpg

Last edited:
Charlie, that is one incredibly rare fantastic knife, you have quite a collection, thanks for posting that knife.

I did find one one nice old knife this week, an early maybe unused Utica curved tang stamp dogleg jack, celluloid handles, has some corrosion from age, don't think it's from off gassing, just age.

View attachment 990450 View attachment 990451 View attachment 990452
Very cool knife Augie... the bullet end teardrop really classes that knife up :thumbsup: It's a black tie event knife ;)

I really haven't been buying Robeson marked knives. I've been selling them, instead and trying to locate and buy or trade for Terrier marked knives.

However, in all the years that I was collecting Robesons, I never was able to acquire a pearl handled bartender's knife. I had two opportunities; one was in Waterbury, CT, but that knife was just about mint and had etched and inked Pabst Blue Ribbon advertising on both handles and I simply could not afford it. The other was on Ebay and I was outbid.

A couple of weeks ago, this one showed up on Ebay and I couldn't leave it alone.

I got this knife for eighty-nine dollars.

It has some scattered spiders, but lots of original lustre remains, no chips or cracks in the handles and walk and talk on all three blades is nice and crisp. Blades are quite full.

Closed length is 3 1/8", which I find odd, but that's how long it is.

Pleased to have this one.

I also recently picked up this five inch Terrier Cutlery Company single blade jack, circa 1910 - 1916.

Beautiful bone on this one.

Moderate blade wear.

I apologize for the glare on the photos, it's Summer in Alabama and Dog Days are upon us.

Incredible knives sir.

View attachment 990450 View attachment 990451 View attachment 990452

Wow thats a very nice Utica Augie, Just Look at that Main Blade!!! I just love that Etch!

Maybe some day, Duncan!!:rolleyes:
Not this year though!!;)
Charlie, I would never take such a Knife from you my friend, in fact if you gathered your HJ's in all and said to me - pick one that you can buy...I just think I wouldnt be able to make that decision - your Knives are simply outstanding - Charlie Thank You for sharing with us! We are indeed extremely lucky that you do this for us!

Picked up this 3-3/4" Challenge jack this past week... can't say enough about the quality, wowser! :):thumbsup:

View attachment 990647 View attachment 990649 View attachment 990650 View attachment 990651
Oh man Kev....I love those Old Challenges- as good as any Knife made I say!

Always great seeing your post's Charlie N! Wow...what a hunting trip you are on trying to find the ever Elusive Terrier Stamp!:eek:

Back