"Old Knives"

Thanks guys, far from perfect as it has suffered some from age corrosion but it is still a great example of how good Challenge knives were, I feel they are some of the best of the vintage knife manufacturers, I love those slim graceful pen blades, Duncan I don't think they have seen much use at all.

Charlie, I wonder if Bill would be interested in doing a run of 38's with blades like this knife?

Thanks guys, far from perfect as it has suffered some from age corrosion but it is still a great example of how good Challenge knives were, I feel they are some of the best of the vintage knife manufacturers, I love those slim graceful pen blades, Duncan I don't think they have seen much use at all.

Charlie, I wonder if Bill would be interested in doing a run of 38's with blades like this knife?

I tried to get Bill to commit to a full-on Wharncliffe Whittler, when he made the Willamette Whittler for Derrick Bohn, but he said he was through with whittlers for a while!! He did the clip-blade whittlers then also!!
Maybe some day!!!???
Willamettes:
Willamettes 1.jpg Willamette 3 A.jpg Willamette 3 B.jpg

Nice knives guys, keep em coming!

Picked up this nice old Challenge Cutlery Corp split spring wharncliffe whittler with stag handles that have taken on a beautiful glow from age. I think this is an old Sheffield pattern which makes sense as many of the Challenge cutlers came from Sheffield.

View attachment 1025302 View attachment 1025303 View attachment 1025304 View attachment 1025305 View attachment 1025306
Can you get us a bottom view of that one please Augie?

I don't normally pay too much attention to the sterling silver / mother of pearl fruit knives... but this one caught my eye. I did some research on it before I bought it, the seller had it listed as 1890'ish but all of the hallmark info I found on it says it is a John Yeomans Cowlishaw, Sheffield, c.1857. Really a sweet little knife :cool: The lighting is intentionally dim to help show some of the pearly fire within ;)

JYC-2A.JPG JYC-2B.JPG JYC-2C.JPG
JYC-1C.JPG
JYC-2E.JPG

I don't normally pay too much attention to the sterling silver / mother of pearl fruit knives... but this one caught my eye. I did some research on it before I bought it, the seller had it listed as 1890'ish but all of the hallmark info I found on it says it is a John Yeomans Cowlishaw, Sheffield, c.1857. Really a sweet little knife :cool: The lighting is intentionally dim to help show some of the pearly fire within ;)

View attachment 1025500 View attachment 1025501 View attachment 1025502
View attachment 1025503
View attachment 1025504
That is just Elegant!:thumbsup: Nice get!

Last edited:

View attachment 1025503
View attachment 1025504

Kevin, those silver fruit knives always catch my eye, but yours is a show stopper:eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Nice knives guys, keep em coming!

Picked up this nice old Challenge Cutlery Corp split spring wharncliffe whittler with stag handles that have taken on a beautiful glow from age. I think this is an old Sheffield pattern which makes sense as many of the Challenge cutlers came from Sheffield.

View attachment 1025302 View attachment 1025303 View attachment 1025304 View attachment 1025305 View attachment 1025306

Amazing find as usual my friend, I would gladly trade you some of Duncan's knives he has routed through the ND post office;););):p

Kevin, those silver fruit knives always catch my eye, but yours is a show stopper:eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Amazing find as usual my friend, I would gladly trade you some of Duncan's knives he has routed through the ND post office;););):p

Sounds like a deal Paul, let me know when he has some pristine harness jacks sitting there, we'll just tell him they were lost in the mail:D:D:D:D;)

View attachment 1025503
View attachment 1025504

Kevin, that is a beauty, one of the nicest I've seen, great find.

Charlie,
I told John the stag on his beautiful knife reminded me of the stag on the Empires you showed.
Lee mentioned other US makers stag being dark. Maybe I remember your stag Schrades as being too.

View attachment 1025503
View attachment 1025504
That is heirloom gorgeous.

Back