"Old Knives"

hASSSIn.jpg

Who made the little tuxedo?

I'm not sure who made it. The inlay does appear to be MOP, and one side of the main blade is marked Stainless. The other side has a diamond over what appears to be "japan", but I could be wrong. I'll have to clean it up a little more and get rid of the verdigris and then try to take a better picture.

And now for something outside the norm; I doubt this beauty has seen daylight much over the past 50+ years.

swIHJU5.jpg

8EWpd2c.jpg
Considering we can see carpet fibers, I'm assuming this knife is very small! :eek: Is it like an inch long? Very cool ;):thumbsup:

W.H.Morley & Sons, a Kastor brand from 1913 to 1927. All four blades have the Morley stamp and a four leafed clover on the obverse.
g4jW6MC.jpg
MfOjuqO.jpg
8mnWuH4.jpg
iKovdct.jpg

I really didn't set out to collect mother of pearl knives, but they do seem to accumulate. Collecting on a budget, I find that old m.o.p. can be quite inexpensive if you don't mind a few chips and cracks, or sometimes a worn or broken blade.
PvdyN5a.jpg

W.H.Morley/Peters Bros./Lenox/Robeson/Simmons/Cattauragus
AJRXpQx.jpg

R8shell,
The wonderful Jack Bkack and I had the massive privilege of talking to Stan Shaw Dow quite some time in his very own workshop which is situated inside the Sheffield Museum.

It was amazing just soaking up the conversation and enthusiasm that at Stans age - still ebbing from this wonderful man.
Sorry for sidetracking- but I wanted to quote something that Stan shared with Jack and I.... ..

He said that the most expensive and delicate material in THE day was Pearl Handles, he himself stated that it took a very good tradesman to be able to complete the work without damaging the Pearl, and if you damaged it? - oh boy watch out as Labour was inexpensive in hose days even for the best of workmanship - but such exoric materials as Pearl was considered quite the Elite.

R8shell,
The wonderful Jack Bkack and I had the massive privilege of talking to Stan Shaw Dow quite some time in his very own workshop which is situated inside the Sheffield Museum.

It was amazing just soaking up the conversation and enthusiasm that at Stans age - still ebbing from this wonderful man.
Sorry for sidetracking- but I wanted to quote something that Stan shared with Jack and I.... ..

He said that the most expensive and delicate material in THE day was Pearl Handles, he himself stated that it took a very good tradesman to be able to complete the work without damaging the Pearl, and if you damaged it? - oh boy watch out as Labour was inexpensive in hose days even for the best of workmanship - but such exoric materials as Pearl was considered quite the Elite.
It's fantastic that you guys got to visit with Mr. Shaw and hear about the old ways of cutlery. I imagine working on mother of pearl was nerve wracking.

A well cared for Remington R6653 that I got recently
A nice cut swedge, tip bolsters, coined liners, clean original state, healthy etch
View attachment 1029083
View attachment 1029084
View attachment 1029085
Fantastic jigged bone on those, guys. Fantastic.

Here's an odd one I just got in today. An inexpensive advertising knife, but the blade has that cool nail nick in the swedge that made me think it's pretty old. The covers are probably celluloid. It needs some clean-up, but I don't see any maker's mark on the blade. I googled "Star Brand Shoes are Better" and found some rather racially insensitive advertisements :(, and some info about the company:

"Star Shoe Company was incorporated in 1899. Star Brand shoes were manufactured at a plant in Hannibal, Missouri into the twentieth century."
Y4P2V54.jpg
JBeziUc.jpg

Back