"Old Knives"

A non stop feast of beautiful old knives!!!
Campbellclanman, I'm really impressed with that Camillus Trapper. It looks like it's about three feet long with those wonderful long blades, great knife all around!!!

Look close...

tUao0Z4.jpg

Wonderful trapper, Duncan. A cut above the rest!!:thumbsup:

Unusual three-blade, Eisman! A cattle knife variation with an unusual brand!:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

There’s a story to this Trapper. I bought it off a real good guy - been in the Knife game a while - well the Spey had play when open - not horrific but bad enough to make one frown.
So he repinned the knife, I usually don’t like a knife being messed with - but I consider this pretty minor, so I am very happy with this knife.

Last edited:
Jeff Im looking at the Swage work and I fully agree - Schrade.
I could only guess the age around the 40’s? 50’s? But what about looking at the different style or font of the Shapleigh Stampings to see if you can determine a close gap of time frame?
That is of course “if” there were changes in the Shapleigh Stamping of course.

Agreed, Duncan. I'll have to lightly clean the tangs and take a better photo of the stamps. I've seen some which have HARDWARE under the diamond, while this one has HDW CO. only.

Goins' reference was to Shapleigh, not Schrade, but the Shapleigh here is a Schrade. Sorry to be unclear.

It was Shapleigh's DE trademark. E C Simmons only connection to DE was S Norvel who started as a salesman for them, E C Simmons went downhill after S Norvel took over as president of Shapleigh.

Shapleigh started the DE trademark in 1864.
https://books.google.com/books?id=tpY7AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1051&lpg=PA1051&dq=first+Diamond+edge+trademark&source=bl&ots=XojSYu4Vgp&sig=ACfU3U3siMhghAzwdv6xVgxSykD8Y5kMHA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHha_T973gAhXjm-AKHVJjAhUQ6AEwCXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=first Diamond edge trademark&f=false

Most all Simmons were Walden Knife CO made , whereas Shapleigh was almost exclusively Empire and then Schrade made.

But here is an E C Simmons that is not Walden made. Their hornet knives were manufactured mostly overseas in Germany, although I can see no mark of country of origin. I expect this one is before WWI ?

What we call pressed stag, so far = overseas.Resembles the Wostenholm (although it's not a Wostenholm) pictured ( top) together in the first scan.
Simmons Hardware517.jpg Simmons Hardware514.jpg Simmons Hardware 1.jpg Simmons Hardware 2.jpg

But here is an E C Simmons that is not Walden made. Their hornet knives were manufactured mostly overseas in Germany, although I can see no mark of country of origin. I expect this one is before WWI ?

What we call pressed stag, so far = overseas.Resembles the Wostenholm (although it's not a Wostenholm) pictured ( top) together in the first scan.
View attachment 1073587 View attachment 1073588 View attachment 1073589 View attachment 1073590

Thats a beautiful Farmers Jack Lyle, amazing condition.

Thanks John for alerting me. It’s one of the best conditioned farmers jacks I own.

The lack of country of origin is somewhat of a puzzle. I have looked and cannot see any indication of a stamp.

Back