"Old Knives"

Thanks guys. Southington’s sure are hard to come by and I’m glad to have found this one. The old cutleries out of Connecticut produced excellent knives. I wonder what is this pattern called and could it have been an inspiration for the famous Lanny’s Clip pattern?

BRL calls it a curved regular jack. He also says that it is primarily a 19th century pattern. Most sources list Southington at 1867-1914, but Goins says they stopped cutlery manufacturing in 1905.

Just awesome Augie. The bone is ridiculous. I like the texture on the pile side, almost like stag. And that blade...:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats!!

A beauty! That bone is crazy gnarly, not even sure how they did that. Seeing the very abrupt, pointy shape of that spear main, along with the fact that GEC's first offerings were basically Remington remakes, convinces me that Bill Howard was greatly influenced by Remington's cutlery. When he was heading up Queen, and also currently with GEC, their spear mains had that same extra pointy shape.

Augie my friend - If I could just borrow your time machine just for one week please Sir.

Like the others have said a very example my friend - Not only do I totally agree with what our friends have been saying about the marvellous Jig work - but also to me is the Swage Work on these older Knives - another Highlight in a Knife!

Received a great Remington 3 3/8" jack this week, unused, possibly a salesman sample. Wonder where this knife has been sitting for the last 80 or 90 years. Pattern number is R1063
Incredible John. If Leonardo da Vinci had taken up bone jigging...

Thank you all for the great comments on the Remington, feel pretty lucky to get this one. Duncan, Jeff, totally agree about the swedge, such great work on that blade.

Another interesting one I picked up this week is a small 2 5/8" Cattaraugus jack, this one goes to Donna as she like the wee knives as Duncan would say;)
Shown next to an old KeenKutter Barlow for size comparison.

IMG_0404.jpg IMG_0405.jpg IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0408.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the amazing journey through this wonderful thread of traditional pocket knives! If I were an Industrial Design professor this would be a must view and read. I have recently come full circle back to the pocket knifes of my youth, some 50+ years ago. Having played around with photography for many years I thought I would "join in" with my beginners "old knives" collection.

Thanks again!

An old Keen Kutter barlow with a spear main that reminds me of a Robeson Waynorth posted on page 780 of this thread:

rYErUUz.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Primble, MrMike!:thumbsup:
Fantastic find on the Southington, kai76!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Augie, that Remington is spectacular!:thumbsup::thumbsup:, the Catt boy's knife is not bad as well.

Thanks to all of you for the amazing journey through this wonderful thread of traditional pocket knives! If I were an Industrial Design professor this would be a must view and read. I have recently come full circle back to the pocket knifes of my youth, some 50+ years ago. Having played around with photography for many years I thought I would "join in" with my beginners "old knives" collection.

Thanks again!

An old Keen Kutter barlow with a spear main that reminds me of a Robeson Waynorth posted on page 780 of this thread:

rYErUUz.jpg
Lovely barlow; maybe by Cattaraugus?

Back