1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Perfect, much like the knife itself ;):thumbsup:

kai76 likes this.
  2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Kai - what a great Southington Jack. Nice to see!

kai76 likes this.
  3. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Really great Curved Jack, Nick!:thumbsup: What size is it? Interesting how the pull runs into the swedge. Love the Horn and shield!:cool::cool:

kai76 likes this.
  4. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @Campbellclanman @Ramrodmb Thank you guys! That’s right, a curved jack is what it’s called, thanks, I know I’ve read that somewhere. It’s 3.5” with thick horn that rounds and tapers off thin at the liners.

Ramrodmb and Fodderwing like this.
  5. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    BRL calls it a curved regular jack. He also says that it is primarily a 19th century pattern. Most sources list Southington at 1867-1914, but Goins says they stopped cutlery manufacturing in 1905.

kai76 likes this.
  6. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
  7. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Received a great Remington 3 3/8" jack this week, unused, possibly a salesman sample. Wonder where this knife has been sitting for the last 80 or 90 years. Pattern number is R1063.

IMG_0379.jpg IMG_0380.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0388.jpg IMG_0389.jpg IMG_0392.jpg

8. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    Just awesome Augie. The bone is ridiculous. I like the texture on the pile side, almost like stag. And that blade...:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats!!

Augie likes this.
  9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    A beauty! That bone is crazy gnarly, not even sure how they did that. Seeing the very abrupt, pointy shape of that spear main, along with the fact that GEC's first offerings were basically Remington remakes, convinces me that Bill Howard was greatly influenced by Remington's cutlery. When he was heading up Queen, and also currently with GEC, their spear mains had that same extra pointy shape.

Augie likes this.
  10. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Augie likes this.
  11. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Augie my friend - If I could just borrow your time machine just for one week please Sir.

Like the others have said a very example my friend - Not only do I totally agree with what our friends have been saying about the marvellous Jig work - but also to me is the Swage Work on these older Knives - another Highlight in a Knife!

t.willy and Augie like this.
  12. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    That is quite the score on the Remington!

Augie likes this.
  13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Another super hero, Augie !! Up Up and Away

Augie likes this.
  14. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Incredible John. If Leonardo da Vinci had taken up bone jigging...

kai76 and Augie like this.
  15. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Thank you all for the great comments on the Remington, feel pretty lucky to get this one. Duncan, Jeff, totally agree about the swedge, such great work on that blade.

Another interesting one I picked up this week is a small 2 5/8" Cattaraugus jack, this one goes to Donna as she like the wee knives as Duncan would say;)
    Shown next to an old KeenKutter Barlow for size comparison.

IMG_0404.jpg IMG_0405.jpg IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0408.jpg

16. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks to all of you for the amazing journey through this wonderful thread of traditional pocket knives! If I were an Industrial Design professor this would be a must view and read. I have recently come full circle back to the pocket knifes of my youth, some 50+ years ago. Having played around with photography for many years I thought I would "join in" with my beginners "old knives" collection.

Thanks again!

An old Keen Kutter barlow with a spear main that reminds me of a Robeson Waynorth posted on page 780 of this thread:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Very nice Primble, MrMike!:thumbsup:
    Fantastic find on the Southington, kai76!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Augie, that Remington is spectacular!:thumbsup::thumbsup:, the Catt boy's knife is not bad as well.

Augie and kai76 like this.
  18. kai76

Jun 5, 2009
  19. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Lovely barlow; maybe by Cattaraugus?

20. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you! Interesting, another great cutlery co!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019