"Old Knives"

Here is a new one to me. Nice schrade cut with beautiful celluloid handles. 8924 pattern at 3 1/2".

View attachment 1143997
View attachment 1143998
Paul that is fantastic! And the scales are amazing. WOWZA

Some of the nicest celluloid covers I've seen! Outstanding stock knife!

Nice Schrade there Paul - I must admit to never have seen those Cell covers before!

Another great Schrade Paul, love the main blade profile.

I had to quote all these fine fella's Paul...she's a beaut and unique as well:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

CIsU6gp.jpg

Paul, beautiful Schrade Cut Premium Serpentine Stockman—right up your alley!

Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. I have two (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

The NYKC example is in excellent used condition with a full blade, no cracks or splits in the bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section show this exact knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering.

The other two example do not have pick bone handles but utilize a sort of divot style jigging pattern that some suggest might have been accomplished using the George Schrade jigging machine.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any comments or further insights or corrections are very welcomed.B7D7A54E-9801-43FE-971B-8724DA5C3768.jpeg F08BC45E-2F86-40EE-8118-1E524F3C7F0E.jpeg CF8880E0-BBBB-4AA5-AEF2-7DF5B7FD1802.jpeg B421C855-7353-4B5F-ACBA-FC9CDB59F766.jpeg 06159BED-496D-4FA5-B3AE-316A36B36109.jpeg 1AFBD918-6D92-4AF8-96BE-5B0246A9BCDA.jpeg 6240339B-7960-455C-83C3-FC8D1F3FA1DD.jpeg

Thanks Charlie. Great to see you posting in the “Old Knives” thread again my friend!! Just hasn’t been the same without you! I have been more absent than not the last couple of months. Been involved in some significant home remodeling projects. Just about done so will be back on the Forums especially this one more often now.

I had to quote all these fine fella's Paul...she's a beaut and unique as well:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you Paul.

Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. I have two (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

The NYKC example is in excellent used condition with a full blade, no cracks or splits in the bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section show this exact knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering.

The other two example do not have pick bone handles but utilize a sort of divot style jigging pattern that some suggest might have been accomplished using the George Schrade jigging machine.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any comments or further insights or corrections are very welcomed.View attachment 1144238 View attachment 1144231 View attachment 1144237 View attachment 1144230 View attachment 1144233 View attachment 1144235 View attachment 1144236

Thanks Lloyd. Those are ultra fine cokes you have.

Charlie, it is very good to see you posting in this thread again, it wasn't quite the same without you.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any comments or further insights or corrections are very welcomed.View attachment 1144238 View attachment 1144231 View attachment 1144237 View attachment 1144230 View attachment 1144233 View attachment 1144235 View attachment 1144236

Can't help with dating the knives Lloyd but what a wonderful trio of large hunters, does not get much better than that.

Nice old bone congress. Who's the maker?

Don't know. I inherited a cigar box full of worn out pocket knives from my grandfather who passed away several years before I was born (1952). My grandmother found it in the attic and gave it to me. This looked like the nicest one of the lot but there is nothing discernible in terms of maker marks.

Lloyd- those three knives are simply outstanding matey!
I very much like Pick Bone full stop, all the Jig work in those knives keeps you very busy looking at them.

Back