1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Here is a new one to me. Nice schrade cut with beautiful celluloid handles. 8924 pattern at 3 1/2".

IMG_4765.JPG
    IMG_4766.JPG

2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Paul that is fantastic! And the scales are amazing. WOWZA

3. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Some of the nicest celluloid covers I've seen! Outstanding stock knife!

paulhilborn and TheChunk91 like this.
  4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice Schrade there Paul - I must admit to never have seen those Cell covers before!

paulhilborn and TheChunk91 like this.
  5. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Another great Schrade Paul, love the main blade profile.

6. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah Augue the Swage isn’t as Curved but runs in unison to the long Pull! = nice :)

TheChunk91 and Augie like this.
  7. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Thank you all for the comments.

Duncan and John, one of my favorite things about old schrades are their clip blades with the long swedge that extends over the pull. Very attractive.

Campbellclanman and Augie like this.
  8. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I had to quote all these fine fella's Paul...she's a beaut and unique as well:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

JJ Cahill, Campbellclanman and Augie like this.
  9. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
  10. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Paul, beautiful Schrade Cut Premium Serpentine Stockman—right up your alley!

Here is a NYKC locked back folding hunter (pattern no. 187) I recently acquired. I have been on the look out for one for several years. I have two (obviously NYKC manufactured) examples that are branded OVB Spencer Hibbard Bartlett & Co. and the other a Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Co.

The NYKC example is in excellent used condition with a full blade, no cracks or splits in the bone handles (that I can see even under magnification) and tight lockup. The pick bone handles are especially interesting to me. This, I believe, is representative of an earlier made knife. It also does not have the arm-and -hammer logo/trademark that you see on many knives. My guess is this knife is pre circa 1910. The Biddle Hardware Co. Catalog of 1908 page 900 of the NYKC section show this exact knife with pick bone handles in the artist rendering.

The other two example do not have pick bone handles but utilize a sort of divot style jigging pattern that some suggest might have been accomplished using the George Schrade jigging machine.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any comments or further insights or corrections are very welcomed. B7D7A54E-9801-43FE-971B-8724DA5C3768.jpeg F08BC45E-2F86-40EE-8118-1E524F3C7F0E.jpeg CF8880E0-BBBB-4AA5-AEF2-7DF5B7FD1802.jpeg B421C855-7353-4B5F-ACBA-FC9CDB59F766.jpeg 06159BED-496D-4FA5-B3AE-316A36B36109.jpeg 1AFBD918-6D92-4AF8-96BE-5B0246A9BCDA.jpeg 6240339B-7960-455C-83C3-FC8D1F3FA1DD.jpeg

11. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Wadda setta beauties Lloyd!! Three nice Cokes!!
    I think you are right - the NYK is the oldest!!

12. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks Charlie. Great to see you posting in the “Old Knives” thread again my friend!! Just hasn’t been the same without you! I have been more absent than not the last couple of months. Been involved in some significant home remodeling projects. Just about done so will be back on the Forums especially this one more often now.

13. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @herder Outstanding trio!!! Congrats, all are amazing.

14. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Thank you Paul.

Thanks Lloyd. Those are ultra fine cokes you have.

Charlie, it is very good to see you posting in this thread again, it wasn't quite the same without you.

Prester John and Fodderwing like this.
  15. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Make sure you stop into the Angry Trout for some fish chowder... my mouth is watering thinking about it.

Henry Beige likes this.
  16. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Can't help with dating the knives Lloyd but what a wonderful trio of large hunters, does not get much better than that.

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Nice old bone congress. Who's the maker?

18. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    Don't know. I inherited a cigar box full of worn out pocket knives from my grandfather who passed away several years before I was born (1952). My grandmother found it in the attic and gave it to me. This looked like the nicest one of the lot but there is nothing discernible in terms of maker marks.

r8shell likes this.
  19. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Lloyd- those three knives are simply outstanding matey!
    I very much like Pick Bone full stop, all the Jig work in those knives keeps you very busy looking at them.

20. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Lovely Cut Co, Paul T., beautiful celluloid!:thumbsup:
    Three great knives, Lloyd! :thumbsup: Especially the NYK, I really like that old pick bone!
    I am a little late, but also welcome back, Charlie!:thumbsup::)

TheChunk91 likes this.