1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    James, becoming a paid member clears a lot of stuff up!

2. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Henckels, a hair under 3 1/2 inches, hammered pins, half stops, broken tip on small blade. I'm thinking pre-WWI? ??? Henckels, according to Goins lost the right to market their trademarks in the U.S. from some time in or around WWI until 1928. Goins does not show this exact tang stamp. Thoughts welcome. H1.jpg H2.jpg tang stamp001.jpg

3. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice Henckels Calvin, I recently acquired a few Earlier Henckels recently, they are on their way too me - in saying that your example is Stellar! Gorgeous full blades!I would have to refer to a Tang stamp chart - they are as you say not full of details to try and date it but at a guess from looking at these Henckels I think you would be close with dates.

4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    That is a beauty! Sometime between 1900 and 1969? :confused:
    [​IMG]

smitty44 likes this.
  5. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments, guys! Here is a gentleman's stockman in what we Schrade a philes call a 'Slenderino,' because of its svelte profile. Schrade and Camillus (think pattern 69) and maybe others made these slim jims as an upscale item, sometimes with milled liners and so on. This example is almost un-used but has some water damage. 8613LB catalog cut001.jpg pu1.jpg pu2.jpg pu3.jpg pu4.jpg pu5.jpg pu6.jpg

6. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Dating a J.A. Henckels knife on a blade stamp alone is nearly impossible. You can really only date Henckels knives by factory catalog information.
    Nice old knife which was made in the 1930s (model # 1868) and not offered again after WWII.

7. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
  8. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Yep! That's a sweetheart for sure Calvin, Staining or not - thats a darned cool Knife - it should really be here with me in New Zealand :D

9. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Stunning knife, Cal! In such great condition for a "Cut"

10. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice slenderino, Cal!!:D

11. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Picked up a couple great old Jacks in the last week or so... a NYK barehead and a snappy Electric Cut Co; I just love these old knives :D

NYKBH-1A.JPG NYKBH-1B.JPG NYKBH-1C.JPG ECCJ-1A.JPG ECCJ-1B.JPG ECCJ-1C.JPG ECCJ-1D.JPG

12. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Those two are a couple of beauties! You just don't see jigging like that any more! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

veitsi_poika likes this.
  13. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Your Schrade Stock Knife is quite the slender beauty; love the sunken joints and the jigging!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    veitsi_poika likes this.
  15. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    They were the Junior Varsity brand for NYKC ;):thumbsup: Although quality-wise there isn't much difference. NYK bought Electric Cut Co in the eary 1900s and they manufactured all the ones stamped Walden, NY. Electric Cut Co was discontinued in ~1920.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Fodderwing, r8shell and JJ Cahill like this.
  16. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    veitsi_poika and JJ Cahill like this.
  17. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
  18. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    You should Know Mr Hilborn- you used to own it :):cool: :thumbsup:

19. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Just it's Guardian until it's rightful owner came on the scene, or as I often refer to as "The Charlie Campagna of New Zealand":p

20. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Does that make me the Duncan Morgan of Canada??:eek::D