"Old Knives"

Beautiful Keen Kutters Guys, I sent Paul Hilborn over one day a very nice Carving Fork and Knife by Keen Kutter- Carving sets are a bit of a weakness to me, I hope Paul sees this and posts a Photo so you will know what I mean, I think I found a couple of real cool Keen Kutter Axe Heads for him too as Paul kinda likes the Keen Kutter thing as well ( well Hang...who doesn't? ).

jjcahil my friend, I know a true Hangman's knot when I see one- if that is a true Hangman's Knot- you should be able to hold the Shank and pull the Knot and it will completely unravel to a tidy bit of Rope again - but I see theres a Knot in the end so this may not happen.
The KK Knife isnt gassing is it- as thats not Pryremite is it? more so just mere shrinkage?

jjcahil my friend, I know a true Hangman's knot when I see one- if that is a true Hangman's Knot- you should be able to hold the Shank and pull the Knot and it will completely unravel to a tidy bit of Rope again - but I see theres a Knot in the end so this may not happen.
The KK Knife isnt gassing is it- as thats not Pryremite is it? more so just mere shrinkage?
Good eye Duncan, you caught me on the "hangman's knot" :) I do put the extra knot so it (hopefully) stays put. The shrinkage has not moved in a few years, though I always tend to think "celluloid/Pyremite" when I see that. Does other early plastic type cover material also exhibit shrinkage? I'm on a continual and fascinating learning curve:D

Beautiful Keen Kutters Guys, I sent Paul Hilborn over one day a very nice Carving Fork and Knife by Keen Kutter- Carving sets are a bit of a weakness to me, I hope Paul sees this and posts a Photo so you will know what I mean, I think I found a couple of real cool Keen Kutter Axe Heads for him too as Paul kinda likes the Keen Kutter thing as well ( well Hang...who doesn't? ).
I really enjoy finding various cutlery and products from these fine, old companies. To date I've swapped out all my newer German steel for old "Frozen Heat" Robeson's kitchen knives :) It becomes quite a journey that I know you have travelled well!

Good eye Duncan, you caught me on the "hangman's knot" :) I do put the extra knot so it (hopefully) stays put. The shrinkage has not moved in a few years, though I always tend to think "celluloid/Pyremite" when I see that. Does other early plastic type cover material also exhibit shrinkage? I'm on a continual and fascinating learning curve:D

I think so - I am sure there are all sorts of different types - the flammable and gassing one being the Pyremite - there are discussions on this in BF and AAPK!
There is the Black composite that I dont think is half as volatile as Pyremite - I just dont know the name of it :oops:- I am sure someone can come in and help perhaps? :)

Beautiful knife and wrench, herder!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have always thought that the KKs with the Keen Kutter stamped in the shield were Schrade made, however, yours looks more like a Camillus made knife?? Love the wrench!
Aso a lovely pair, JJCahill!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I believe that Duncan is right on the handle material, shrinking but not outgassing? Not sure what exactly what the material is, but not celluloid. There is a member over on AAPK who coined the term "shrinky dink" for that material. I think Camillus made your knife as well?

I think so - I am sure there are all sorts of different types - the flammable and gassing one being the Pyremite - there are discussions on this in BF and AAPK!
There is the Black composite that I dont think is half as volatile as Pyremite - I just dont know the name of it :oops:- I am sure someone can come in and help perhaps? :)
Beautiful knife and wrench, herder!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have always thought that the KKs with the Keen Kutter stamped in the shield were Schrade made, however, yours looks more like a Camillus made knife?? Love the wrench!
Aso a lovely pair, JJCahill!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I believe that Duncan is right on the handle material, shrinking but not outgassing? Not sure what exactly what the material is, but not celluloid. There is a member over on AAPK who coined the term "shrinky dink" for that material. I think Camillus made your knife as well?
Thanks Duncan!!! Thanks Dan!!! I do think the KK looks very much like a Camillus pattern!
While still near the topic of KeenKutter things . . . . .
Very cool set of KK edged tools, waynorth!:D

Last edited:
Thanks all.
JJ Cahill, very nice knife and pliers. I agree with Campellclanman and danno50 that the handles are just shrinking a bit and not out gassing.
waynorth, wonderful K.K. Jack and love that Gothic style dagger/scissors.

32mPxQP.jpg

Y3Yu6GK.jpg

I've picked up two different of the post war Camillus navy utility knives. On both the covers was in horrible shape, the first I recovered in whitetail deer antler. This one is being redone into a two blader. No idea what the stuff is, but given the conditions of the knives I say it doesn't outgass. Both knives was relatively rust free. Nothing to the extreme I've seen pics of of outgassed cell. I still have the pieces from the latest one, I'll do a flammability test on it later.

Back