1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Herder, as has been said, WOW!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Also great catalog cuts Lloyd and Lambertiana!

2. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks danno50, and here is one with you in mind.
    An early post war Keen Kutter Stockman sitting on an old Keen Kutter alligator wrench.

BF Keen Kutter on Wrench .jpg

3. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I really like the "Keen Kutter" trademark! :) Thought I'd join in and add a pair from the early post WWII era, as well (note the "gassy" covers.):eek:[​IMG]

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Beautiful Keen Kutters Guys, I sent Paul Hilborn over one day a very nice Carving Fork and Knife by Keen Kutter- Carving sets are a bit of a weakness to me, I hope Paul sees this and posts a Photo so you will know what I mean, I think I found a couple of real cool Keen Kutter Axe Heads for him too as Paul kinda likes the Keen Kutter thing as well ( well Hang...who doesn't? ).

jjcahil my friend, I know a true Hangman's knot when I see one- if that is a true Hangman's Knot- you should be able to hold the Shank and pull the Knot and it will completely unravel to a tidy bit of Rope again - but I see theres a Knot in the end so this may not happen.
    The KK Knife isnt gassing is it- as thats not Pryremite is it? more so just mere shrinkage?

veitsi_poika likes this.
  5. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Good eye Duncan, you caught me on the "hangman's knot" :) I do put the extra knot so it (hopefully) stays put. The shrinkage has not moved in a few years, though I always tend to think "celluloid/Pyremite" when I see that. Does other early plastic type cover material also exhibit shrinkage? I'm on a continual and fascinating learning curve:D

Campbellclanman likes this.
  6. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    I really enjoy finding various cutlery and products from these fine, old companies. To date I've swapped out all my newer German steel for old "Frozen Heat" Robeson's kitchen knives :) It becomes quite a journey that I know you have travelled well!

7. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    I think so - I am sure there are all sorts of different types - the flammable and gassing one being the Pyremite - there are discussions on this in BF and AAPK!
    There is the Black composite that I dont think is half as volatile as Pyremite - I just dont know the name of it :oops:- I am sure someone can come in and help perhaps? :)

JJ Cahill likes this.
  8. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Great post war stockman. The wrench is neat as well, very old school.

9. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Beautiful knife and wrench, herder!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have always thought that the KKs with the Keen Kutter stamped in the shield were Schrade made, however, yours looks more like a Camillus made knife?? Love the wrench!
    Aso a lovely pair, JJCahill!:thumbsup::thumbsup: I believe that Duncan is right on the handle material, shrinking but not outgassing? Not sure what exactly what the material is, but not celluloid. There is a member over on AAPK who coined the term "shrinky dink" for that material. I think Camillus made your knife as well?

JJ Cahill likes this.
  10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    While still near the topic of KeenKutter things . . . . .
    Keen Group 1.jpg Keen Group 2.jpg

11. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Oh My !!!!

12. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
  13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks, Steve!!

SteveC likes this.
  14. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Duncan!!! Thanks Dan!!! I do think the KK looks very much like a Camillus pattern!
    Very cool set of KK edged tools, waynorth!:D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks all.
    JJ Cahill, very nice knife and pliers. I agree with Campellclanman and danno50 that the handles are just shrinking a bit and not out gassing.
    waynorth, wonderful K.K. Jack and love that Gothic style dagger/scissors.

16. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Herder! I now know it's not flammable, which is great:D

17. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    And....my friend , safe to store with your other Knives :) :thumbsup:

JJ Cahill likes this.
  18. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    That's great to know, thanks! I try to keep the few potential hazards I have in an open area, away from any flames:eek:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've picked up two different of the post war Camillus navy utility knives. On both the covers was in horrible shape, the first I recovered in whitetail deer antler. This one is being redone into a two blader. No idea what the stuff is, but given the conditions of the knives I say it doesn't outgass. Both knives was relatively rust free. Nothing to the extreme I've seen pics of of outgassed cell. I still have the pieces from the latest one, I'll do a flammability test on it later.

20. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    why is everyone can see vince collection and I can't? :p