"Old Knives"

Only old one I've picked up I awhile. The guys pictures were blurry and dark. I was very pleased when I opened the box.
DIvMPCN.jpg

0jGm6tJ.jpg

Just it's Guardian until it's rightful owner came on the scene, or as I often refer to as "The Charlie Campagna of New Zealand":p

Does that make me the Duncan Morgan of Canada??:eek::D

haha guys, Oh Charlie my friend that would be taking such a step backward for you :oops:
Just it's Guardian until it's rightful owner came on the scene, or as I often refer to as "The Charlie Campagna of New Zealand":p

I have several Knives turn up from my Post Master in North Dakota, many very nice Vintage and some bordering on Antique - Henckels! LOVE 'EM! Wow these Older Henckels are simply fantastic Knives- superbly built so much so I can honestly say that these would equal some of the greater known early Cutler firms work.

Rob, I too would be very pleased with a full Bladed Russell Barlow with Stunning Bone!

According to Goins... the youngest this knife can be is 105 years old ;) American Shear & Knife, Co. Blades are still in good shape and snappy; just one crack thru a pin. I'm guessing this is cocobolo since it has the dark mixed with red/purpleish color. Overall just a great old knife :D

ASK-1A.JPG ASK-1B.JPG ASK-1C.JPG ASK-1D.JPG

According to Goins... the youngest this knife can be is 105 years old ;) American Shear & Knife, Co. Blades are still in good shape and snappy; just one crack thru a pin. I'm guessing this is cocobolo since it has the dark mixed with red/purpleish color. Overall just a great old knife :D
Outstanding old wooded jack; the Cocobolo looks amazing!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

rockman0, Very interesting old Russell, I wonder if it might have been a "factory second" that was not finished off??? Great piece of original history.

V.P., nice N.Y.K. and Electric models. Good old American Shear model as well. "H. Ville" (Hotchkissville Knife Co.) was a trademark of American Shear & Knife Co.
Enclosed is a catalog illustration from a 1904 American Shear & Knife Co. catalog with a few pages listing H. Ville along with the American Shear brands showing basically your model.
Interesting that they call the handle "Red" when they name the types of wood for other knives in the catalog such as ebony and cocoa.
Not a bad deal at 50 cents apiece back then. :)

View attachment 1165217

That was my line of thinking as well herder about being a factory second- the reason why I was thinking that is because I went down that path with the Pruner that I put up here in Old Knives as well as the Prune Big or go Home Thread, as the Pruner has never had an edge on the Knife and never been used- I too thought that perhaps time spent on the Knife had stopped and not gone any further to put an edge on the Knife!

I had a few Henckels turn up lately- its the one German Brand that calls out to me- Oh well you can take that last statement with a grain of Salt remembering there is the likes of Anton Wingen Jr. Linder, Carl Schliepr........ etc etc :rolleyes:

As I was saying - I am a fan of these extremely well made knives, I bought a few early Henckels Folders, and one I think is even earlier still.....

Here is the earliest one, a Folding Hunter- a slightly smaller Folding Hunter at that - closed is just a peek over 4 inches long.
I really like this Old Knife, I know that the Seller and our good friend Mike Robuck had discussed this knife while I was buying it and it's always great to have Mike's much valued opinion on anything- thank you guys!

Locks up strong- this medium sized Hunter has a spring that seems almost twice as thick as needed - I notice this with some of the earlier German Folding Knives - you will see a few examples in these next posts of mine with these German Knives...

Nice Stag on this Ol' Girl...

uznPdAO.jpg

Rw3kbpb.jpg

rVHWmTV.jpg

8qZlFBf.jpg

Above view of the beefy Spring..
Lwx7vpC.jpg

Similarities to a real neat older Robi Klaas that was gifted to me by Herder!- thank you again my friend for that beautiful Knife!
A great Pair!......

vhxtRhH.jpg

Here is something quite awesome, an Oval Bar Tenders Knife, now this wee thing is amazing.
Beautiful - Beautiful Stag! and very old Stag at that, it has been suggested that this knife could be aged between 1890 to 1920 and I haven't a reason to doubt that, I can tell you that this lovely Old Henckles is plain outright gorgeous and brilliantly made!
Lovely wee knife at 3 inches closed!

Now and then we mention the Great Cutlers of yesteryear's and their ability to place stag Handles on such a knife with the thinnest of thinnest Stag at the edges, here is a fine example of this.

Pkowjmu.jpg

4v0qV4s.jpg

oCkAgrG.jpg

mgJ0ysp.jpg

zgJuqIM.jpg

0ReeFUK.jpg

t9i4VOy.jpg

Just a wee Break from the Henckels, I will post more early next week, but I will finish up with this Boker- Hey not the flashest Knife in the Work, Composite to resemble Jigged Bone, some call it Jigged Composite and I sure I have- but it would probably be pressed ?

But I just found the Etch on the Big Long Spey neat, and one would be forgiven thinking that the Spear was the more used and worn, yeah - the Knife has had use and plenty of Patina / Staining - but its far from having any of it's blades short- the above view shows the smaller Clip Point nestling exactly where it was the day it was made- there is a Liner midway ending just before the Clip Points tip!

Quite a cool knife although not the most collectible, but I like owning it right now! :) :thumbsup:

cHHFPLM.jpg

rBtXfff.jpg

131MvW9.jpg

j6SoMMx.jpg

That was my line of thinking as well herder about being a factory second- the reason why I was thinking that is because I went down that path with the Pruner that I put up here in Old Knives as well as the Prune Big or go Home Thread, as the Pruner has never had an edge on the Knife and never been used- I too thought that perhaps time spent on the Knife had stopped and not gone any further to put an edge on the Knife!

We are on the same page as usual my friend.
It wasn't the staining on the blade that drew my attention, but the inclusion directly above the blade tang that made me wonder if it might have been set aside???

Great looking German additions showing a couple of my favorite makers. And you're certainly right about the fantastic stag on old German knives.

It may be a factory second but this particular tang stamp isn't familiar to anyone yet. Augie suggested it might be a factory mock up. It's a head scratcher.
YQFRGPW.jpg

We are on the same page as usual my friend.
It wasn't the staining on the blade that drew my attention, but the inclusion directly above the blade tang that made me wonder if it might have been set aside???

Great looking German additions showing a couple of my favorite makers. And you're certainly right about the fantastic stag on old German knives.

Oh man Paul that's a sweet Peach Seed Toothpick my friend!

Here are some Henckels..
This knife does not have the fullest Mani Blade- but what it has is style, I think this old Henckels is the Bomb- used so well lots of Blade left- and was obviously loved and used.
A nice Sleek Horn Handled Serpentine Whittler Styled Knife- one of the smaller blades being a Nail File on this Fine Gentleman's Knife-allllllllmost totally sunken Joints - almost..

g0POtFy.jpg

o0xrxje.jpg

Another Fine Henckels- these earlier Henckels are when Henckels really made top-of-the -line Knives, Sabre Grind Two Bladed Knife in a subtle serpentine Frame, in very nice condition, I doubt if it has seen much use at all! Smooth Black Composite.....

zKXOjp8.jpg

N9xpgsi.jpg

GoCOoEq.jpg

J9lAZ3m.jpg

Ed Wusthof, Solingen
This is a gorgeous Knife and I apologise for the interior photos that simply do NO justice to the beautiful Bone on this extremely well made Knife.
It has to be a great knife as it has Herders name on it :) :thumbsup: - check the Tang Stamp and Herder-Phila Etching.

AgmOnJ5.jpg

dLHXWUP.jpg

The Ed Wusthof is a nice Sabre Ground Whittler with a very thick Spine - Great to see this and the way the Knife nestles in together so magnificently and the Walk and Talk are just superb....
2P1teFb.jpg

Super full Blades- and a nice Shield to boot!

UzcylkE.jpg

pf6iDUD.jpg

I have another early Whittler - by Henckels - showing similarities to the Wusthof with an even thicker spine and Blade- this knife packs a whole lot into a 3 & 5/8th Frame, the workmanship is realised totally when you hold this amazing Knife in the Hand.

Pictured here with the Wusthof Whittler- forgive me for the Renaissance Wax build up in the Nail Pulls... Just look at the beefy blade on the Henckels and the way both Knives are so well built...

oZW32xD.jpg

uSEckCA.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of outstanding Bone- a more finely Jigged Bone - but I just get lost when staring at the Lovely Bone on this Stockman to Cattle Knife - its a fine line as to which of the two it would be- it would be easy to say Stockman because of the Serpentine Frame but would own either name.......

Another fine Henckels.....

zfnMtp3.jpg

Bty1kVT.jpg

Swage-work like the early Schrade's how the Swage runs up and over to the end of the Long Pull - on a nice full Clip Point, sharing the Frame with a very nice Spey- and who can look past a knife with a Punch?
a1F8384.jpg

Again the Swage work is highlighted in this photo on both the Main and that nicely Styled Spey- surrounded by gorgeous Bone, and finely Threaded Bolsters just to finish off this Knife

tP5Ty3A.jpg

Back