"Old Knives"

After seeing all these wonderful pen knives, I realized i just found a couple recently; a Crucible and a Robeson that both retain amazing back springs 80 to 90 years later. :D
Both gems JJ but the jigging on that Crucible is stunning:cool::thumbsup:

Thank you Paul! After perusing this entire forum I'm convinced the best jigging is from the "old knife" artisans!:thumbsup:

Speaking of great vintage jigging, look at the jigging on this pre WW2 Robeson jack I just picked up, fairly rare pattern.
Very cool Robeson Jack Augie; another great example of wonderful jigging (with a very cool shield, to boot!!!)
Fresh catch off the bay. Schrade Cut Co barehead jack in really nice condition. The few Schrade Cut Co’s I have are all such well built knives!
You reeled in quite a beauty Nick; not only is the jigging fantastic, the knife is pristine!!!

SteveC SteveC JJ Cahill JJ Cahill Thanks guys. JJ, the glazed finish on all blades including the front of the main made me question if it saw the wheel. I looked up the Schrade catalog for this knife and I’m pretty sure it’s correct with the description stating glazed finish on all blades, not crocus polished on main front. I wonder if it has been “professionally” cleaned? Or was it stored away all this time and somehow stayed in such good condition, is that even possible?

Thanks guys. JJ, the glazed finish on all blades including the front of the main made me question if it saw the wheel. I looked up the Schrade catalog for this knife and I’m pretty sure it’s correct with the description stating glazed finish on all blades, not crocus polished on main front. I wonder if it has been “professionally” cleaned? Or was it stored away all this time and somehow stayed in such good condition, is that even possible?
I have seen a few in hand, and quite a few on this thread in similar condition to yours. It's certainly rare, but based on your image I don't detect any "funny business." I have actually found a couple that were still covered in cosmoline, so they are out there; nice score!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

black mamba black mamba Thanks Jeff. I thought the same too about the drawn swedge. I found what I believe is my knife in the Schrade catalog shown below, and it also has a drawn swedge. I guess Schrade Cut Co had their higher end and deluxe knives made with cut swedges, full crocus polished or on the front of the main blades, long pulls, etc. as compared to their other knives with drawn swedges, glazed finish on all blades and regular nail nicks instead? Like how GEC has Northfield and Tidioute.

Last edited:
Good call, Nick, and a gorgeous knife. The same pattern with a spear and b&m cell is my 2154K.

oHbmY2d.jpg

guys- this page is filled with stunning Knives started off with JJ's beautiful wee pens, like Paul said that Crucible is simply gorgeous!
Jeff matey- great to see you up and about in here my friend- hope you are feeling good!

Augie- you are right - that Bone jigg work is just gorgeous- I have a small framed Robeson like that in the form of a HJ and that too has exceptional Bone!
I admit to never have seen that Arrow Shield before! I like it!
That little Camillus Stockman is a fantastic Knife!

Nick- Wow!!! that Schrade is outstanding- what a knife! My freind DO NOT let your address be known to Paul ( The Chunk ) - that early Peach seed is Stunning!

Jeff = MORE Mollases :eek: Wow you must have quite a few- I think it's about time we saw a line up of all those Beauties when you are feeling better my friend!

Paul- yet again - another gorgeous Peachseed - Thats a honey of a Knife!

Back