"Old Knives"

Just finished looking at twenty-three pages of this forum I had not seen before.

Great knives posted since I was here last.

Here is an old knife that checks off most of the boxes for a vintage collector...
It's an early 1900s double end swell center Ulster with a clip main blade and spear secondary blade.
Both blades feature long nail pulls and nice grinds.
Wonderful old jigged bone handles are highlighted with a fancy shield and uncommon double grooved bolsters.

View attachment 1188541

Here is an old knife that checks off most of the boxes for a vintage collector...
It's an early 1900s double end swell center Ulster with a clip main blade and spear secondary blade.
Wonderful old jigged bone handles are highlighted with a fancy shield and uncommon double grooved bolsters.

View attachment 1188541

That's a killer.

View attachment 1188541
Mama Mia!!! What a knife!!!:eek:

Yeah- If I can join the Que here guys- Herder- like our good friend Jeff said- That Knife is Spectacular!!
Absolutely different in the way of those gorgeous Bolsters! - there's some mean Swage work going on too with ALL the other things going on with that beautiful Knife!

Thanks for the nice comments, black mamba, TheChunk91, waynorth, Kai76, tongueriver, and Campellclanman.
It's a pleasure to share with respected fellow collectors.

Thanks, Mike R.
Here is a nice old pre WWII cattle knife with a rather uncommon "Enderes" tang stamp.
Enderes did produce some knives and contracted out for others. I don't know if this model was made by Enderes or elsewhere.

View attachment 1189205

Very nice knife and catalog herder, wouldn't it be neat to drive down to Albert Lea and research/locate the old Enderes building? Then I wonder if the local antique stores in Albert Lea would have an abundance of vintage Enderes' knives over other brandso_O

I do (finally) have an old knife en route. i did get this 1914 Henckels catalog last week. First pic is next to the 1898 catalog I have. Lots of interesting cutlery items in both.
ftYyJ2T.jpg

Nl8acrI.jpg

A slip of pink paper in the book with an ad they used:
5nKdyUu.jpg

I should include some traditional knives:
KpSqWXM.jpg

I'm certain your Green River is older than mine, great old jack :thumbsup: Appreciate the link to Russell history, in my limited internet search for knives I've not seen many Russell jacks. The stag secured my interest. Thanks Augie !

Rob, great old Russell with very nice stag! You just don't see that many Russell jacks, Barlows seem to have been most of their pocket knife production. At their height of production Russell churned out 2500 to 3000 dozen of cutlery per day.
Pretty good read here on the history of Russell,

http://industrialhistory.org/histories/john-russell-mfg-co-and-the-russell-cutlery/

Only Russell jack I have, may be older than yours as it uses the Green River Works tang stamp.

View attachment 1188353

Just a beautiful old Russell my friend !!!:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

Thanks Harry :thumbsup: hope you are well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back