"Old Knives"

Gas Man you have to open the blade full and peer into the blade well to see the bronze bearings. You may need to get under a strong light or use a flashlight to see especially if they are tarnished or dirty. Here is a photo of a Mastercraft jack I have that is pretty clean and easily shows the bronze bearings on the tang. Good Luck!D966EC2A-24AB-44E0-BD60-F058D1D285C0.jpeg

Ok everyone, like Lyle said- there sure has been some outstanding Knives posted as of late! These Knives here one could be forgiven for walking by without taking all that much interest in them because of the relatively plain handles on them, but please...keep walking by so I can pick these up!!! Camillus is one of the top shelf Manufacturers, when they want to make a good Knife- I doubt there would be many that would overcome the fine workmanship that Camullis has displayed many times over now.
apart for the Pearl the other two Knives present them selves as fairly plain..... until you pick them up!

Camillus from the early 20's ( only for a very short time ) made some exceptional Stainless Knives and these are indeed exceptionally built!
Tang Stamped Stainless cutlery, Camillus's wee secret Sub Trade Mark made the Yellow Composite Handled Knife as well as the Pearl, the walk and talk on these two Knives is just simply superb, The build of the extremely compacted Pearl Whittler is outstanding, this Pearl is an extremely nice Knife!
The Yellow Handled Knife is quite Plain, a Spear main and a secondary Pen, nice Swage work that isn't massive by any means - but just everything is tight, and perfect, handling this Knife you Know you have a very good Knife in your hands!Totally, for a 90 year old Knife I think this Knife is looking pretty good!( Good sized as well @ 3& 1/2 inches )

xS2RtLN.jpg

gxfH8aS.jpg

nJUDSvu.jpg

We had the pleasure of Cal showing us some Pearl beauties a while ago, which started off a Pearl run, so here's me nearly two weeks late to the Party, and Darn!!! when a Good Whittler comes up that is built so wonderfully - that's a Knife to Treasure - I am so glad I obtained this beauty! a wonderfully built, and wonderfully decorated Knife! Pearl Fires away with some brilliant colours, I just could not capture these today with the grey dark day.Nice etch, nice Swage work, great Mill work to the Liners - a classy wee Knife for sure at a peek over 3 inches closed.

Check out just how Beffy that Main is- a very stout Main Blade!

84qytS7.jpg

pCvqoP5.jpg

EieER7t.jpg

AqCag04.jpg

H3Xr2RR.jpg

e2uPX0k.jpg

Not only beautiful Swage work, but this shot shows the Tang Stamps you will get from both these Knives...
PNg3CpA.jpg

The other Knife is something a " little Cool", Camillus Rotary Club, I have picked this Knife up and handled it - open and closed it and put it down, my mind keeps going back to the Knife so I do the same, and them the same!!! this is a really well built wee Camillus here!
This isn't a Stainless Stamped Knife - rather your "ordinary" Camillus, but what beautiful actions on this Knife!! I think I am rather in love with this Knife- its a Beauty for sure, superb workmanship stealthy in plain clothes! I just may carry this great knife!
jNUe4fs.jpg

G3zHvut.jpg

x5cl1xV.jpg
Real nice pen knives, Duncan!! Smaller knives got more credit years ago!!

Can't go wrong for $5 Gasman matey, That's a great Old Knife, a few years prior to that Robeson made knives that were right up there with some of THE best! amazing stuff!

Lloyd my friend, Thank you for putting me in line- I actually appreciate that, to me there are SO many variables to learn, and I'm keen to have such good Knife mates like you to help me / us out! :) :thumbsup:
Yes, I do remember the trouble with the Brass Bearings, - I think Oval shaped to begin with- something in that line anyway, and when wear or dirt came in it didn't really sustain much punishment, I may be wrong again and don't mind being told so, but when I picked a Bronze Shielded Scout I wanted to know more and came across some information like this, Charlie Noyes then came in gave gave us great insight to the Scout I have!.
The Permalube Scout I have is stunning to say the least, I certainly can feel the Quality when opening and closing that particular Knife!

Here is a Classic example of Robeson doin' there thang!
KZp1PpT.jpg

ybPzTWx.jpg

Eupjxd6.jpg

e4usx2X.jpg

Mastercraft Shield..
VVyitKE.jpg

t2bsiMq.jpg

zylnQ8V.jpg

Scout Shield
HTtwjyU.jpg

LshHjw1.jpg

Showing it's well loved Punch!:D

Bik5UuS.jpg

Permalube, sounds like something you'd pickup in an adult shop:eek: :oops:
Man...this one is in line with some of my best scouts! Beautiful Robeson....

5NRrFxT.jpg

mHbESpy.jpg

H5pJ0cN.jpg

Hey there Charlie!, Thank you kind Sir, to be Honest, I am sure if we were to sit around the Table and pass round Knives, these would certainly get favourable comments, I do like to pick up the odd Pen Knife - more so at time the slightly smaller Bone handled ones as at times they are extremely nice Knives! But THE knife out of this Bunch for me, and I bet for those sitting around that table whilst we pass 'em around, is the Pearl Whittler, so beautifully built!!! I love seeing and getting to handle such a knife - owning it is kinda cool too :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Duncan, who can blame someone of your outstanding broad knife knowledge from getting everything right all the time—I mean there is only so much space within the recesses of ones cranium for all this valuable old knife history:p:eek::)

I am not a Scout knife collector but that Permalube Campers Scout you have is just superb in my eyes and probably extremely rare since the Robeson Permalube line was very short lived. I have two Scouts. One a Terrier Campers and one a superb condition Robeson No-Rustain.

Last edited:
Lol you smooth talker you! Thank you for that Lloyd, but Knowledge I yern and not have - but the pathway is fun- but man do you loose skin from the falls on the way!
I am like the "before " photo in the Knife World :D.:oops:.

Lloyd I was pleased when I picked up that Scout, mind you that trip I did pick up a few very nice ones!

Hey.. back to Gasmans Knife.... I simply do not remember seeing all that many Robeson USA Shielded Scouts around?,. were they part of the same Family as the Camillus Utility Knives with the USA Shield - contract made for the services in the WW2 era I wonder???:( :confused::oops:

Hey.. back to Gasmans Knife.... I simply do not remember seeing all that many Robeson [B said:
USA[/B] Shielded Scouts around?,. were they part of the same Family as the Camillus Utility Knives with the USA Shield - contract made for the services in the WW2 era I wonder???:( :confused::oops:
I do remember the guy was a WW2 Navy vet. That had the estate sale I got it from.

And by the way, that camper with the bronze badge.....Wow!

You have a WOW bunch of Robeson Scouts, Duncan! And Lloyd is right; you are collecting knives and knowledge at an alarming rate!! Welcome to the CCC or, Curmedgeonly Collector Company!! You are no beginner anymore!!

lol, You guys make me laugh- Thank you for giving me a great chuckle this Morning! It would Take an awful amount before this turtle gets to catch any of you guys!

John - as our friend Charlie said - What a nice Knife!!!

Back