"Old Knives"

Queen #10 and a Camillus Trapper

zMjHCEM.jpg

So, I took a small risk on a little penknife of undetermined covers and origins.
It came today, and first of all, I was surprised to find it's not so little a knife: 3 5/8ths inches. I'm pretty sure these covers are tooth.
2xmkjq2.jpg

q74MdGY.jpg

I did my best google-fu, and the only reference or images for R BEST of Sheffield, England shows that mark on ink eraser knives (many incorrectly listed as fleams or surgical tools) I haven't found any examples of R BEST pocket knives.
Perhaps my friend, and resident expert in all things Sheffield, @Jack Black has some insight?
eUEhkgc.jpg

At any rate, I'm "right chuffed" with this find. :D
ZikxiIo.jpg

uKrVsYs.jpg

So, I took a small risk on a little penknife of undetermined covers and origins.
It came today, and first of all, I was surprised to find it's not so little a knife: 3 5/8ths inches. I'm pretty sure these covers are tooth.
2xmkjq2.jpg

q74MdGY.jpg

I did my best google-fu, and the only reference or images for R BEST of Sheffield, England shows that mark on ink eraser knives (many incorrectly listed as fleams or surgical tools) I haven't found any examples of R BEST pocket knives.
Perhaps my friend, and resident expert in all things Sheffield, @Jack Black has some insight?
eUEhkgc.jpg

At any rate, I'm "right chuffed" with this find. :D
ZikxiIo.jpg

uKrVsYs.jpg

Nice find Rachel, looks like tooth to me:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow Cal, gorgeous knife:cool:

Here's an old EC SIMMONS (1870-1940) KEEN KUTTER Barlow, pattern 2881 3/4. other than very slight blade loss, it is a fantastic knife and one that gives you the green light to carry right off:thumbsup: Rock Solid blades and excellent snap, whisper thin so it cuts just looking at it. Small nicks in the butt of the bone but other than that the bone is pocket worn and has beautiful aged color to it:thumbsup: The aged bolsters are deeply stamped as well.
knhxRm.jpg

szga9W.jpg

Back