"Old Knives"

Thank you My friends for the comments on that Pruner! :D:thumbsup:

I agree with our buddy Dan - Ka- Bar seemed to have obtained some of the most stunning Stag for their Knives.

Hey North Shore stop being so mean and let’s into some more photos of that beauty! :D :D

Last edited:
Challenge Cutlery Co. Bridgeport Connecticut. It looks like it is from 1905-1928.
iTuYHxO.jpg

tS2H59D.jpg

Last edited:
Very NICE North Shore, I have a similar equal end in Jigged bone with Spear main and pen. It has had work done to it (previous owner and myself) yet done well. Sure I've posted it before but may have to again. Ironically I am carrying it today.

Would love to see it
Ok, far short of yours North Shore but there's something endearing about it to me. The bone has awesome color and worn smooth over the years. The main is obviously shorter (came to me that way) the pen sat so low I put in the notch for access to the blade. It was also obviously cleaned but man, it takes a screaming sharp edge and both blades are rock solid:thumbsup:
3nMz8f.jpg

e2qf9z.jpg

Oovif7.jpg

Travis, great old Challenge Scout!!!

Thank you North Shore for showing us more of that lovely Knife, that’s a real nice one!

Great Challenge Travman - Gorgeous Bone on a nice Scout!

Speaking of nice Bone - Paul that’s a beauty!
What a beauty to be carrying around my friend.

QUOTE="Campbellclanman, I was SO pleased to pick up this amazing old Knife the other day, The Walk and Talk are so tight- without the slightest exaggeration -as good as new- it's outstanding, being the older Knife the Pull is hard- but far from impossible.
Lovely Marked Knife, Deeply Stamped Blade from a the era when ( imo) Sheffield ruled the World.

The thing I like about this knife- is everything! :D
The hammered Pins, one could say that this Knife may have been re-handled - I will argue this, the Pins are as messy as you can get when coming the Hammered, the Stag used captures everything for me- the remaining scars from the lifetime of the occupier still clearly visible, together with very nice Stag and the added notches you see next to the Liners on the edge of the Stag to help the user apply the best possible grip of this "Tool".

Not the most common Stamp to find on a Tang " Abram Brooksbank " Sheffield.

The Integral Bolsters help guide us to the late 1800's era where this was more common, but I am sure this isn't always the rule but in this case I wouldn't mind betting.

A bit of use, but still a very respectable Big, Heavy Pruner, who may be new to the "Go Big or Go Home" Pruner gang, this formidable Knife has already work it's way to the Council of the Gang!

1QLXJez.jpg

buac8fe.jpg

ezSD2Lu.jpg

6HvBTyU.jpg

QUOTE="Campbellclanman, I was SO pleased to pick up this amazing old Knife the other day, The Walk and Talk are so tight- without the slightest exaggeration -as good as new- it's outstanding, being the older Knife the Pull is hard- but far from impossible.
Lovely Marked Knife, Deeply Stamped Blade from a the era when ( imo) Sheffield ruled the World.

The thing I like about this knife- is everything! :D
The hammered Pins, one could say that this Knife may have been re-handled - I will argue this, the Pins are as messy as you can get when coming the Hammered, the Stag used captures everything for me- the remaining scars from the lifetime of the occupier still clearly visible, together with very nice Stag and the added notches you see next to the Liners on the edge of the Stag to help the user apply the best possible grip of this "Tool".

Not the most common Stamp to find on a Tang " Abram Brooksbank " Sheffield.

The Integral Bolsters help guide us to the late 1800's era where this was more common, but I am sure this isn't always the rule but in this case I wouldn't mind betting.

A bit of use, but still a very respectable Big, Heavy Pruner, who may be new to the "Go Big or Go Home" Pruner gang, this formidable Knife has already work it's way to the Council of the Gang!

1QLXJez.jpg

buac8fe.jpg

ezSD2Lu.jpg

6HvBTyU.jpg

They're fantastic Charlie, I love pruners and whittlers;):thumbsup::)

Charlie and Duncan, I'm fairly certain that stag was trimmed with a big 'ol rasp file right in the vise at the cutler's bench. That was a far more common tool than a belt grinder at the time.

Eric

Thank you Charlie
Well my friend, if they couldn't find any better Stag- I could see why 'cause the good stuff is on your Knives - Those are just Great Charlie!

Eric - there's no doubting you would be right with most things in the Knife World! and what you say is making sense, before you posted this I envisioned the Cutler who was Hafting The Knife using the actual corner of the File to make the notches.

When you look at Charlies Knife- top Knife of the Three- Pile Side, the pattern left almost completely all over the Stag look like what you have suggested.

Eric, do you think they did this simply to get the job done quick or.... to actually leave the marks in the Stag to aid grip? I have seen early Pruners that have been finished quite beautifully - and although yes being a tool- especially made in this era- 100% made for use and not a collector for looks.

Eric, do you think they did this simply to get the job done quick or.... to actually leave the marks in the Stag to aid grip? I have seen early Pruners that have been finished quite beautifully - and although yes being a tool- especially made in this era- 100% made for use and not a collector for looks.

Duncan, I'm really not certain about that. It almost seems as though they're unfinished, and the filing on Charlie's beautiful whittler seems almost excessive. I'm not sure why they'd do that at the shop at all. Especially the fact that they went over pins and butts as well without smoothing out the scratches. It's very possible that they were done by someone afterward. I've never seen an absolute mint knife with those marks. You can see that the stag is actually below the liner edge on a couple of the pruners yet the marks are still there. It's definitely a bit of a mystery to me. I have seen some videos of the old cutlers using a rasp to take the handle edges down, so it's definitely a tool that was used for that purpose. They weren't shy about it either, chips and dust were flying!

Charlie, I'm starting to feel the "old" part o_O:):)

Eric

Last edited:
Back