"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Thank you Duncan, those Northfield's are hard to find, I got a feeling most are buried deep in collections.

New York Knife Co did have some very nice bone, they did not appear to have a great variety of jigging patterns but what they did they did very well.

Campbellclanman and paulhilborn like this.
  2. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    Another rare one, Levering A1 Knife Co, New York, 3 1/2" Washington Jack, not much information on Levering, thought to be 1890 to 1930, they were a distributer. After comparing to other knives in my collection I think it might be made by Challenge. Charlie do you have a Challenge Washington Jack you could compare it too?

IMG_2693.jpeg IMG_2691.jpeg IMG_2696.jpeg IMG_2702.jpeg

3. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Augie, In my opinion your are bang in the money with your suspicions with that being a Challenge made knife, I have a Washington Challenge Jack just like your gorgeous example there my friend, I will post the photo as soon as I can - Our good friend Charlie will no doubt will one and I can’t wait to see what he has in this line :eek::)

You have had some very nice ones turn up lately - well done :):)

4. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Found it Augie!
    I must update my photo's, this is quite an old Photo and does not do this Knife any Justice whatsoever!
    [​IMG]

5. Augie

Aug 23, 2014

Thanks Duncan, they sure look similar but it looks like the Levering has an extra groove in the bolster. Someone on another forum thought they were made by NYK Co, wonder if Charlie has a NYK.

6. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Augie I do see that! I didn't even look at my photograph properly - simply saw it was the Challenge and posted it!
    Good point- NYK Co? yet the similarities are all there aren't they- I will look forward to see more input- man that's a nice Knife you have there my friend!
    I fear your retirement, this means more time on the computer for Augie and lees knives for us lol :D

paulhilborn and Augie like this.
  7. Augie

Aug 23, 2014

Two edged sword buddy, also means less money for me to buy nice vintage knives.:)

paulhilborn likes this.
  8. North Shore

North Shore Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Been entertaining this quick solution on the challenge made Washington jacks, great pictures of great knives as well

Augie likes this.
  9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Here is a representative comparison of my Washington-style Jacks, to
    add to the data here!
    From the left;
    -(Smaller-sized) Schrade Cut Co
    Schrade Walden OT
    -Schrade Cut Co
    -Empire Knife Co
    -SFO by GEC Washington
    -Camillus
    Comparison 1.jpg
    Sorry, no Challenge guys!!
    @Augie @Campbellclanman@NorthShore

10. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    ......just .....WOW Charlie- thats a beautiful range of Knives sporting super Bolster Work there Sir! :eek::eek:

:) :thumbsup:

waynorth likes this.
  11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks, Duncan!:)

12. Augie

Aug 23, 2014

Nice knives Charlie, one of my favorite patterns.

waynorth likes this.
  13. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I wish everyone could cut swages like those on that Levering! Super work!

waynorth and Augie like this.
  14. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The first wire jack. 2616C74D-3201-4D54-BF64-49CEEEB77526.jpeg

15. Heathenhymnal

Heathenhymnal

Nov 26, 2012
    Any Robert Klaas experts here?
    I recently took a gamble on this gnarly old Rob. Klaas barlow because I love old bone handled barlows and this was available at a good price.

However, I'm a bit stumped when trying to find info on this model as A: there are no Kissing Cranes or cranes at all on this knife, the tang stamp on both blades is simply ROB. KLAAS above GERMANY and B: I can't even turn up a post or picture anywhere online of a Klaas barlow that looks anything like this.

My first assumption would be that this knife is maybe pre-Kissing Cranes trademark but I really doubt that is the case since that would date this thing to pre-1890 if my Klaas history is correct. Seems unlikely. I also question if it would say Germany at all if it was that old. My second assumption was maybe this was an old blade swap but BOTH blades are stamped the same and the pivot pin looks completely un-tampered-with to me.

I've attached several photos to get a better idea and so you can see the tang stamp. It definitely feels old to me given the build, the patina, and the wear... the sawcut bone covers are glassy smooth with only a faint hint of the original sawcut texture.

The blades certainly saw some love and appreciation in their day but they're still usable and this old thing still has very confident walk and talk once I cleaned all the rust and pocket gunk out of it and oiled it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Robert Klaas was founded in Germany in 1834. The knife looks original from your pictures. From 1896 to ca. 1940 a Max Klaas (brother?) was an importer in NY. The Klass name was still used at least into the late 1990s.
    Your knife looks early, before "country of origin" was required.

17. Heathenhymnal

Heathenhymnal

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for the info Waynorth! It definitely feels early to me but I'm certainly no expert.

waynorth likes this.
  18. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Just picked up this Camillus. Looks like maybe WWII era? Everything is nice and snappy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Been a while since I posted an old beauty so I figured I better post a good one... :D I reached out to a fellow porch sitter a while back and mentioned to him that if he ever felt like letting this one go that I would be ready and willing. Good things come to those who wait ;) Thank you fellow porch friend :)

ULSTER1.JPG ULSTER2.JPG ULSTER3.JPG ULSTER4.JPG ULSTER5.JPG

20. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    That is exceptional. I am truly jealous, but very happy indeed for you! :thumbsup::cool::):thumbsup:

waynorth and veitsi_poika like this.