On Randall knives

Back some 60 years ago, we lived in Kissimmee FL. Dad was a friend of Bo Randall, and would take me along now and then, on a trip up to Orlando, and visit. Gary was about my age.
I sent both of my brothers off to Viet Nam with a new Number One knife and a S&W Model 19. They still have their well uses knives and their revolvers.
I have a few Randall knives myself.

For the record, I’m a big fan of Randall knives, and the few times I’ve had issues they, at Orlando, have been welcoming and forthcoming in the best way. I have visited the shop a few times. I cannot say the same about the dealer that has been mentioned, very much on the contrary, I’d never buy anything from him again. I have other great sources for Randall knives.

It was suggested the Model 14 in question might have been a lunch bucket special assembled off site by a less than honest employee of Randall. If that is true I'm sure Randall would have liked a chance to track down that individual. With out the knife they don't have much to go on.

It was suggested the Model 14 in question might have been a lunch bucket special assembled off site by a less than honest employee of Randall. If that is true I'm sure Randall would have liked a chance to track down that individual. With out the knife they don't have much to go on.

But don't you know Randall was supposed to be ok with being rudely interrogated over the phone?

:rolleyes:

One of many different possibilities....although I can't see how a blade that is a bad as claimed would make it through the QC process far enough to even get to an assembly bench, let alone get out the door to a dealer or customer. Maybe the knife was an outright Ebay counterfeit made somewhere in the Far East....but chances are nobody will ever know the real story as there doesn't seem to be any evidence being presented that the knife in question even really existed......

No point even speculating. We heard his story, we gave our opinions. He let it go, we should too.

This is what happens when you behave in a rude insufferable way on a polite forum. You get tossed around a bit.

But you're right, of course.

I realize this issue is done with, but I see something of a pattern in angry complaint posts directed at makers/manufacturers of knives when the knife itself was not purchased from them.
Perhaps it is a lack of understanding the legal concept of a transaction and the responsibilities of the parties to it.

I just so love mine, and I do carry it a lot - I live in the bush.
5 years waiting but wow

k06CIL1.jpg

I have a Model 1 - 8" O1 tool steel with a green micarta border patrol handle that was given to my by my wife as an anniversary gift. I absolutely love it. Fine craftsmanship, takes a wicked edge, light/quick in the hands and it's taken a hell of a beating.
I haven't been on their site in a while but this thread had me check it out again. And now I need this:
https://www.randallknives.com/knives/4-6-fighter/
Just dropped a $50 deposit on it.

I am rude and abrasive. I wanted simple answers to questions I had on the 400 + dollar knife I just bought from the guy who made it. Instead I got a bad attitude, and zero customer service. If I wanted to be treated like a "Princess" I'll go downtown and see Momma San at the local rub and tug.
I'm late to this party but Scotty... the chain of command goes like this shop, dealer, customer. If you ordered the knife from the shop then that's where you need to go (Scott or Jason). Michael doesn't make knives, he is in charge of the museum. Here's a tip, if you want something from someone, don't be a dick and you'll have better success. Michael said "send it back" you can't ask for more unless you just wanted to bitch about something.

On Randall Knife prices. Why is it that ebay seems to think to control Randoll knife prices ? When a comparable knife can be bought direct from Randoll for a bit over $400 I see that almost identical knife on ebay for $800. What gives ? I was just watching one that started at $425 or so and is now over $500 and going up probably. Again, direct from Randall a bit over $400 for about the exact knife. What am I missing ?

On Randall Knife prices. Why is it that ebay seems to think to control Randoll knife prices ? When a comparable knife can be bought direct from Randoll for a bit over $400 I see that almost identical knife on ebay for $800. What gives ? I was just watching one that started at $425 or so and is now over $500 and going up probably. Again, direct from Randall a bit over $400 for about the exact knife. What am I missing ?

Could be -

1) Wait time. Current wait time, offhand, is around 5 years from the shop. Most people don't want to do the wait. Randall's dealer network can cut the time down quite a bit, many times at a modest fee, but most people don't know this.

2) Check the options. Certain features, handle materials, etc.... just aren't offered now. For instance a few years ago, they allowed 7 options/changes to be allowed on certain models, now it's down to 5. They won't work in certain woods, micartas, etc.... anymore either,

3) Age. While they can sometimes look the same, different eras command different prices. Sometimes it can be as little as a spacer combination that bumps the price up quite a bit.

It seems that the wait time is prohibitive. I initially was under the impression that you could order from a catalog and have the knife in a month. I guess not so. No wonder the prices are crazy.

Last edited:
It seems that the wait time is prohibitive. I initially was under the impression that you could order from a catalog and have the knife in a month. I guess not so. No wonder the prices are crazy.
No, but there are many dealers that mention being able to place an order for what you want and get it to you in 6 months or so.

I've only done it the 'normal' way with a 5-year wait - here's my copper companion that I just received.

PXL_20210202_211949478_R.jpg

Back