Pictures here! On the Bench

this is more of a cuddler than a workin' girl
A Branson/Lorien collaboration? I'm not familiar with Mr. Branson? Does he have a website or Instagram?

I like how this one turned out! :cool:

Specs... OAL and blade length? (The handle looks around ~5" with maybe a ~7" blade... tip-to-scales?) Also what type of wood for the scales... Purpleheart?

A Branson/Lorien collaboration? I'm not familiar with Mr. Branson? Does he have a website or Instagram?

I like how this one turned out! :cool:

Specs... OAL and blade length? (The handle looks around ~5" with maybe a ~7" blade... tip-to-scales?) Also what type of wood for the scales... Purpleheart?
Stuart Branson is one of the best custom knife makers you've never heard of. Unfortunately, life sometimes gets in the way so he hasn't been making much lately. I did a quick search, you can peruse his work here

This knife is an upsized version of the Death Fang 3000. Stuart had this thing on the bench for a number of years and just couldn't bring himself to finish it, so he sent it to me a couple of months ago and I shoe horned it into my pre existing projects.

I changed the profile somewhat, and decided to nix the wrap. It was complicated enough! The handle is a little on the long side, probably a little more than 5" and it is purpleheart laminated to vulcanized fiber. Stuart forged the blade from DH3's oldass W2.

There will be a complete thread for this knife once it's done. I spent the past couple days building the sheath for this knife and for EMCEE EMCEE 's Chieftain, so I'm thinking this knife will be complete within a week.

Not sure what to name it yet.

- Stuart Branson is one of the best custom knife makers you've never heard of.
- This knife is an upsized version of the Death Fang 3000.
- Stuart forged the blade from DH3's oldass W2.
- Not sure what to name it yet.

I look forward to seeing the W2 hamon after the etching!

The Viper?... 🤔

Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus

Wiki

Purplish-Mangrove-Pit-Viper.jpeg

• Scientific Name: Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus
  • Common Name: shore pit viper, mangrove viper, purple-spotted pit viper
  • Size: Length for females ~ 35" and length for males ~ 26"
Pit vipers are extremely vicious and unpredictable, so you should appreciate them from afar to prevent any harm.
Mangrove pit vipers are attractive and come in different colors ranging from olive to gray and purplish brown.
The purple colors are usually very prominent between its scales. They range in Singapore, West Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Burma.

Last edited:

The Viper?... 🤔

Wiki

View attachment 2457209

• Size: 13 feet (length), 15 pounds (weight)
  • Lifespan: 9 years

Pit vipers are extremely vicious and unpredictable, so you should appreciate them from afar to prevent any harm.
Mangrove pit vipers are attractive and come in different colors ranging from olive to gray and purplish brown.
The purple colors are usually very prominent between its scales. They range in Singapore, West Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Burma.
you did it! Nice work.
henceforth known as 'Viper Fang'🐍

That is the most demonic snake I have ever seen. A lethal beauty - glad I will not encounter it in my local walk abouts.
So - Lorien, why will VIPER FANG be a cuddly knife rather than a user? Too sharp for mere mortals?

The Viper?... 🤔

Wiki

View attachment 2457209

• Size: 13 feet (length), 15 pounds (weight)
  • Lifespan: 9 years

Am I reading this correctly? A 13 foot long PIT VIPER!?

That is the most demonic snake I have ever seen. A lethal beauty - glad I will not encounter it in my local walk abouts.
So - Lorien, why will VIPER FANG be a cuddly knife rather than a user? Too sharp for mere mortals?
well, it'll be a comfortable to hold, hardened, sharpened knife with a practical sheath. It definitely can be used, but my guess is that whoever decides they need to have this knife will likely want it more as an objet d'art than a user. I myself have used many of Stuart Branson's knives, and his heat treatment and edge geometry are sound.

repurposing our old Kershaw kitchen knife set, finally have me a skiving knife. Gonna grind them all up and make some leather cutting tools
PrNNRVW.jpg

Hello Sir, message sent to your website.
embarrassingly, my website has been badly neglected. I need to go in there and do a bunch of stuff, one thing I did do was enter my correct email, so that now I'll get messages sent through the site. Lol.
Feel free to pm me here, or loriendesignltd at gmail dot com

picked up a new saw yesterday, built a holder thing for it today using one of my old Park Tool bike stands and some other crap I had lying around. Should work well enough for now.
the tiny portaband that's inside my shop is the bottleneck for a lot of my work, so this much bigger saw is going to make a big difference. I'll still keep the small saw in place, it's perfect for handles and cutting pins or whatever.
uJxxiY6.jpg

SQdVzgl.jpg

Back