Orange CTS XHP Para 3

I would say with 8 different Sprint/exclusive Para 3s you probably have the bases covered. Whether you need one or not is for you to decide, but as far as CTS-XHP goes it's basically a more stainless D2. It's a fairly middle of the road "super steel" with good edge holding ability while still being relatively easy to sharpen. I've been down the road of buying every available steel for my knife of choice (PM2) and you come to a point where you have so much redundancy that there's no point in getting more unless you just want to collect them all. Personally I settled on Cruwear as my steel of choice and now that's the only PM2 I use. You just have to figure out what properties you like best and find the steel(s) which most closely match your preference. XHP is no magic perfect steel, because there isn't one. They all are just different balances of the same properties.

Very well said! Totally agree. I suppose if you love orange (which I do) it's certainly worth considering.

I once sharpened Cts-Xhp and S35vn back to back. The edge on Cts-Xhp was toothier and took slightly more effort to sharpen and polish. It seems to hold an edge longer than S35vn. I am not saying it a better steel than S35vn, Xhp has some slightly different qualities.

If the liners on the DLC version where blacked out, I would have picked one of those up.

If the liners on the DLC version where blacked out, I would have picked one of those up.

Yep, the contrast on the St. Nick's Para3 between the DLC and the liners bugs me more than it probably should so I stuck with satin on this one even though black and orange is the perfect color scheme.

.....I've been down the road of buying every available steel for my knife of choice (PM2) and you come to a point where you have so much redundancy that there's no point in getting more unless you just want to collect them all. Personally I settled on Cruwear as my steel of choice and now that's the only PM2 I use.....

The CruWear is the most used para3 I have also. As much as I like DLC and the orange, I think I will pass on this and pretty much every other new offering for a while. Thx for the reply.

And then there were none... wish I snagged a DLC version too, but glad I picked up a satin when I did. Thanks for the heads up!

Back