Orange SpyderHawk - Anyone have one?

If you like hawkbills I would definitely jump on it before they are gone. I love mine! Havnt used it much yet but I do carry and use other hawkbills like the harpy and tasman and they are very useful. I disagree with other about plain edge being useless though. I carry mine at work and honestly it does many things just as good or better than a straight edge, with the exception of maybe food prep. I just wish the edge holding of plain edge H1 was a little better. The dramatic curve makes cutting cardboard very easy, as well as zip ties because you can get that point underneath and pop them off with little effort. You have a definite sense of control on the blade, almost like you have more useful cutting edge than a drop point or clip point because the thing keeps cutting all the way to the end of the point. Obviously they are devastating SD tools as well, the thought of getting cut by the Spyderhawk gives me chills, so Im sure it would do just as well as a civilian in that area. Plus its completely water proof so like someone else said a great beach knife for the swim trunks. The obligatory pic with some other wicked blades.
rSpfHFE.jpg

If you like hawkbills I would definitely jump on it before they are gone. I love mine! Havnt used it much yet but I do carry and use other hawkbills like the harpy and tasman and they are very useful. I disagree with other about plain edge being useless though. I carry mine at work and honestly it does many things just as good or better than a straight edge, with the exception of maybe food prep. I just wish the edge holding of plain edge H1 was a little better. The dramatic curve makes cutting cardboard very easy, as well as zip ties because you can get that point underneath and pop them off with little effort. You have a definite sense of control on the blade, almost like you have more useful cutting edge than a drop point or clip point because the thing keeps cutting all the way to the end of the point. Obviously they are devastating SD tools as well, the thought of getting cut by the Spyderhawk gives me chills, so Im sure it would do just as well as a civilian in that area. Plus its completely water proof so like someone else said a great beach knife for the swim trunks. The obligatory pic with some other wicked blades.
rSpfHFE.jpg

I really liked my smooth edged crossbil for a few years of EDC. I loved it for cardboard and nylon ties a lot of packaging came with. Worked well on zipties doing exactly what you said. I didn't know any better and never even sharpened the lowly 8cr13mov on that knife until getting more into knives after finding out I wasn't allowed to carry a knife bigger than 3" at a new place of employment a few years ago and started nerding out on knife designs for EDC purposes. It's only gotten worse since.

I'll admit, I like the gentle curve of the crossbill more than the spyderhawk for pocket carry as the more aggressive curve makes the knife tall when closed but I'm thinking this will be a kayak and bicycle tour/travel knife anyway where I tend to cut a lot of loose material (tubes, rubber, cordage, pouches, etc.).

VQJPnF1l.jpg

zm5uzx8l.jpg

mine arrived today! I like it it just needs a deep carry clip and the Emerson wave feature and it would be perfect. i do need to hit the spydie hole with some 400g to knock the edge off but otherwise im a happy camper.

I gotta say, this may be the sharpest out of box knife I've ever gotten. Now, sure, Spyderco normally puts great edges on their knives. Likewise I've had plenty of very sharp knives come from Cold Steel. But this one was like a laser. Like just as an initial test cut, I put it up against some pretty heavy cardboard. Went right through it. Now sure, plenty of knives can cut cardboard, but this is the first one that cut right through without me even feeling it. No resistance whatsoever, it literally felt like I was cutting the air. Put me in the mood to get some more Spyderco stuff next paycheck...

Uses for "Hawkbill" SE Spyderco.
1. Marine - nylon ropes soaked in salt water are very difficult to cut with PE,, the SE tears right through.
2. Nylon belts and straps on packing crates easy and quick with SE
3. When the C12 Civilian was introduced in about 1994, I had friends in the military who preferred them for cutting away smaller shrubs and grass when setting up a hide for sniper positions. Easy to reach forward and selectively pull cut without exposing your position.

Just ordered a back-up Spyder Hawk,,, excellent design for a great price.
FK
That's a good point to stress "FK" because when it comes to fishing and other marine applications there are so many uses for serrated Hawkbills that to me it would be an essential tool to have in any fishing or marine type endeavor. And when cutting rope, cordage, straps and bindings you can't beat a serrated Hawkbill.

So I guess the 2 biggest areas of usage are "Lawn & Garden" along with "Fishing & Marine uses". But I will always take a serrated Spyderco Hawkbill with me on outdoor type activities as well as carrying it for a companion or even a back up blade. If Spyderco's marketing people ever figure out how to penetrate those two markets I just mentioned I do believe that they will have trouble keeping them in stock.

I really liked my smooth edged crossbil for a few years of EDC. I loved it for cardboard and nylon ties a lot of packaging came with. Worked well on zipties doing exactly what you said. I didn't know any better and never even sharpened the lowly 8cr13mov on that knife until getting more into knives after finding out I wasn't allowed to carry a knife bigger than 3" at a new place of employment a few years ago and started nerding out on knife designs for EDC purposes. It's only gotten worse since.

I'll admit, I like the gentle curve of the crossbill more than the spyderhawk for pocket carry as the more aggressive curve makes the knife tall when closed but I'm thinking this will be a kayak and bicycle tour/travel knife anyway where I tend to cut a lot of loose material (tubes, rubber, cordage, pouches, etc.).

VQJPnF1l.jpg

zm5uzx8l.jpg
I wouldn't argue with you about the gentle curve of the Crossbill model. It might even be one plain edged Hawkbill I could find a few uses for. But I can assure you that if they make the Crossbill and the older/discontinued SUPERHAWK both with Spyderedges they will open up many new doors on serrated hawkbill uses.

Personally my all time, ultimate favorite Spyderco Hawkbill was the ATS-55 era, G-10 handled Harpy in Full SE. It's high time we got another run of that variant of the Harpy model which is in a good size range too.

I wouldn't argue with you about the gentle curve of the Crossbill model. It might even be one plain edged Hawkbill I could find a few uses for. But I can assure you that if they make the Crossbill and the older/discontinued SUPERHAWK both with Spyderedges they will open up many new doors on serrated hawkbill uses.

Personally my all time, ultimate favorite Spyderco Hawkbill was the ATS-55 era, G-10 handled Harpy in Full SE. It's high time we got another run of that variant of the Harpy model which is in a good size range too.

I'm not going to argue on the spyderedge hawkbill's effectiveness either. I know they can be good as I had an H1 dragonfly for a bit with the spyderedge. The problem with that model is the edge is so small there there were many loose material items I would try to cut that it couldn't span the distance of so I ended up cutting one side and then the other (often pouches). This is what intrgiues me a lot about the spyderhawk, now that I have one.

There are pluses to the smooth edge and probably the biggest one on the crossbill was that it looked slightly less "murdery" when I pulled it out in the office. I would get a few comments about it when people saw it but when they saw it in use it made more sense I think. Ease of maintenance is a plus now but I didn't know any better when I used the crossbill as my EDC and looking back I think I used it nearly as much for ripping things open as I did for cutting because it was certainly not as sharp as my current knives are.

Well "bikerector" I do like your take on the Spyderco Hawkbills with less angle like the SUPERHAWK and their Byrd Crossbill. The SUPERHAWK was literally DOA from it's release because they never offered it in Spyderedge and I'm still baffled about that one. I do think that Hawkbills with different radii and angle have a lot of possibilities and probably in many cases have some advantages as well. To me every Hawkbill that they make it should be mandatory for it to be offered in PE & SE both. I fully understand that some of you like or just outright prefer a plain edged Hawkbill>> and that's cool and you'll get no objection from me. But Hawkbills and serrated edges go good together too and we can have the best of both edge types and everyone can have what they need.

Back