Order on the way....

First post!

I had always wanted a quality khukuri, so I listened to knife people I trusted and kept hearing "Himalayan Imports". I found the retro:thumbup: website and ordered a M43 through the store. Promptly got an email from Yangdu explaining that the M43 would be a few weeks and that she had alternatives if I didn't want to wait. I decided to wait... then I found the forum. A couple of email exchanges later and now I'm waiting a few days for a 15" Sirupati blem (hairline crack in horn handle) and an 18" Hanshee by Purna, and only a few weeks more of waiting for a fresh M43.

I've already thought of a handful more that I would like...

Honestly, purchasing from HI is easy for me after talking to owners and reading this forum and sensing the strong sense of genuine community behind these blades and the people that love them. Lots of respect for quality craftsmanship here - I can dig that. I also don't get the exclusive vibe from this community that you can get from some other passionate blade communities - I can dig that, too.

Last edited:
First post!

I had always wanted a quality khukuri, so I listened to knife people I trusted and kept hearing "Himalayan Imports". I found the retro:thumbup: website and ordered a M43 through the store. Promptly got an email from Yangdu explaining that the M43 would be a few weeks and that she had alternatives if I didn't want to wait. I decided to wait... then I found the forum. A couple of email exchanges later and now I'm waiting a few days for a 15" Sirupati blem (hairline crack in horn handle) and an 18" Hanshee by Purna, and only a few weeks more of waiting for a fresh M43.

I've already thought of a handful more that I would like...

Honestly, purchasing from HI is easy for me after talking to owners and reading this forum and sensing the strong sense of genuine community behind these blades and the people that love them. Lots of respect for quality craftsmanship here - I can dig that. I also don't get the exclusive vibe from this community that you can get from some other passionate blade communities - I can dig that, too.

You got a Hanshee, that's a grail for a few of us here, and made by Purna to boot! You one lucky soul there! You are gonna dig that Siru, they're wickedly fast. The M43, I can't say enough about it, it's just a beast!

BTW...welcome, and may your HIKV, not cause a hole in your wallet too fast. My condolences to your wallet in advance...:p

Sure glad to see someone come along to help me do the digging around here, I'm purty tired and usually on sensory overload.
Thanks to Ndog I got me a Hanshee, pretty splendid blade that one.
Stick around and you'll indeed dig a lot, just when you think ok I got em all, out comes another must have.

And that's ok, I can dig that too.

Welcome.

Sure glad to see someone come along to help me do the digging around here, I'm purty tired and usually on sensory overload.
Thanks to Ndog I got me a Hanshee, pretty splendid blade that one.
Stick around and you'll indeed dig a lot, just when you think ok I got em all, out comes another must have.

And that's ok, I can dig that too.

Welcome.

Shovel at the ready.

My strategy has three parts:

Part 1 - Collect every shape and size that interests me.
Part 2 - Focus on a couple of favorite kamis and collect examples done by them.
Part 3 - Use huge khukuri collection to fend off ravenous debt collectors.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Shovel at the ready.

I dont think you owe me any money so Ill welcome you to the forum as well:thumbup:
Hanshee! Cool! Yes consider yourself lucky. Purna is a fairly new Kami and is the first to bring them back since Keshar Lal was making them (did i get that right Bawanna?). They are very interesting to play with. I tried chopping up water bottles and milk jugs with it and it took a bit to get used to the drop but once I got the hang of it you could just feel the cutting power like nothing else. Id love to get me one of the new Purna made ones. Play with your Siru first. Dont get discouraged by the drop on the Hanshee. It really feels weird at first but you will get the hang of it (theres a pun:D). Nothin like a razor sharp Hanshee.
That Siru is a fine knife as well. I have several sizes and they are workhorses. Like cul said if your into martial arts at all then youll love that 15".

Purna makes a darn good hanshee!

DSCF1609_zpsgrvcyiox.jpg~original

I dont think you owe me any money so Ill welcome you to the forum as well[emoji106]
Hanshee! Cool! Yes consider yourself lucky. Purna is a fairly new Kami and is the first to bring them back since Keshar Lal was making them (did i get that right Bawanna?). They are very interesting to play with. I tried chopping up water bottles and milk jugs with it and it took a bit to get used to the drop but once I got the hang of it you could just feel the cutting power like nothing else. Id love to get me one of the new Purna made ones. Play with your Siru first. Dont get discouraged by the drop on the Hanshee. It really feels weird at first but you will get the hang of it (theres a pun:D). Nothin like a razor sharp Hanshee.
That Siru is a fine knife as well. I have several sizes and they are workhorses. Like cul said if your into martial arts at all then youll love that 15".
I had trouble finding good info on the Hanshee style of khukuri during some light interweb browsing. I found some reviews on some previous HI Hanshees, but nothing too historical or practical.

I'll provide a review with anything new I learn after I get comfortable with the blade.

Super stoked about the Sirupati (and the M43). I messaged Yangdu (super-awesome lady) asking if she had any blems available that were smaller and lighter than the M43 and as fate would have it, there was a 15" siru available. Talk about serendipitous.

Shovel at the ready.

Good plan, however I would add a Part 4.

Try not to aggravate Bookie. I'm sure we don't need to explain the power that a voo doo practioner can have over everyone who is not.
Swell fella, one of the best but don't piss him off.

Good plan, however I would add a Part 4.

Try not to aggravate Bookie. I'm sure we don't need to explain the power that a voo doo practioner can have over everyone who is not.
Swell fella, one of the best but don't piss him off.
Duly noted. My two greatest fears are sharks and voodoo. Might have something to do with seeing jaws and temple of doom in the same weekend as a young kid.

You can toss the shark fear right out the winda. Most of the sharks around here don't have no teeth no how. They just gum on ya some. I know I haven't had but a handful of teeth for a long long time. Everytime they start to come back another love pops up and right back to the nubbins.

But that voodoo, that's serious medicine and not to be trifled with.

vorpalsnick, welcome to the HI Forum. In my most humble opinion, Hanshees are sorta O.K. ever once in a while, but they inhale deeply through the oral cavity. You may wish to consider a Curved Spine khuk. They make life worth breathing for. But allow me to warn you right off the bat: Bawanna has the most gooder Curved Spine, but, and allow me to repeat my self, BUT!, I have the bestest Curved Spine, so please only expect third spot if you get one, since there is no second place. Bawanna will verify this statement should you care to check. My other favorite and my hands down work horse is the KLUVK. You simply must have one and possibly two. Please contact Mrs. Martino if you find yourself deficient in this category. M43s are great, too, and crikey! don't let me forget "Yangdu". That's my custom Katunje. The Katunje is Mrs. Martino's special khuk, like Uncle Bill has his own special model. Again, Bawanna can let you know about this type khuk. By the way, do you prefer red headed straight pins or blue ones?

With mucho respect and fear sweat dripping from thy brow, allow me to make one minor spelling correction if it pleases you of course.

It's KLVUK rather than KLUVK, now of course if you want to change the name you know I'm totally on board with that and you'll get no criticism from thee on such matters.

vorpalsnick, try typing that 10 times really fast????? seems to be a stand up fella, ya think it might be a trifle early for them straight pins Doc? I still got a couple days left on our protection deal, so perhaps you could stick one of the others if your feeling the need.

Thanks for the welcome, Bookie.

Do you have any pictures of your Curved Spine khuk? I would love to see it. Just when I think I've figured out a map for what khuks to get...

NVM - Found pics - what a beaut.

As you wish.....and Bawanna, I stand corrected. Spelling was never one of my good points.
CS0a_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CS5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WOW, that is one sweet blade! Which kami did that one?

Also, can someone tell me what KLVUK stands for? I didn't see that one in the sticky.

Keshar Lal Village Utility knife. It's a knife with the rough left on, something you'd see the locals useing as a tool.

Usually a pretty ideal weight and length and very very handy. Most folks even with a bunch of Khuks grab a KLVUK when it's chore time.

Those are great photo's Bookie. You may suck at spelling but you take great pictures. I didn't mean to say that my fingers went to hitting the keys with no input from my partially functioning brain and soul. I shall punish them accordingly, don't break out the pins or the torch please.....

Keshar Lal Village Utility knife. It's a knife with the rough left on, something you'd see the locals useing as a tool.

Usually a pretty ideal weight and length and very very handy. Most folks even with a bunch of Khuks grab a KLVUK when it's chore time.

Those are great photo's Bookie. You may suck at spelling but you take great pictures. I didn't mean to say that my fingers went to hitting the keys with no input from my partially functioning brain and soul. I shall punish them accordingly, don't break out the pins or the torch please.....
I noticed some were for sale on labor day. The listing doesn't show all of them as sold so I searched the couch cushions and sent yet another email to Yangdu to check availability... if this is crazy, I don't wanna be sane.

I still got a couple days left on our protection deal, so perhaps you could stick one of the others if your feeling the need.

Hey! stick kamidog or something, I'm still plugging up some of the holes from before...:eek:

Kamidogs been stuck so many times his wife uses him for a collander.

Back