OT: Gear and Tools Used by SURVIVORS!

How are you enjoying the book so far?
I like it! So far I haven't learned anything brand new or life changing, but I feel like I am understanding Dave's traditional methodologies a lot better. I'll admit my progress is pretty slow as I only sit down sporadically for a few pages here and there.

Fixed... I think. At least I can see it now.
I can see it! Very cool. Big machines are pretty awesome. I can imagine if you really understand their operation, seeing them used well is even more impressive.

I've developed a serious problem with "needing" more and more backpacks.

I just got a Camelbak mil tac HAWG. Initially it was a little underwhelming compared to more expensive packs like the Direct Action Gear dust or Triple Aught Design fast pack lite speed. Organization is lacking, which isn't a big deal, but the sadder surprise was how the straps and overall fit isn't too good. I need time on a trail to really form an opinion, though. The 500 denier ripstop does feel really light, which is good in a pack, but I've gotten used to weight equating to quality and toughness. Regardless, it seems to have a reputation of being super tough and this was the main draw for me. I also went into the purchase thinking it was made in the US. It is not. I've come to realize if a company doesn't splash "MADE IN THE USA" all over their advertising, it probably isn't. I'm sounding a little negative here, but I am looking forward to trying it out, outdoors.

9UGmu0k.jpg

I have the older version of that pack and its great! I have been so close to buying that one for a long time! Is it made in usa?

I have the olxer version of that pack and its great! I have been so close to buying that one for a long time! Is it made in usa?

It's not made in the USA :mad:

I emailed Camelbak asking where it's made and a dude told me the latest generation IS made in America. After seeing a youtube review where the reviewer said his tag said Made in Philippines, I emailed again and the reply email confirmed the Philippines. No wonder I heard different things from different reviews, Camelbak doesn't even know where it's made. I did a quick look for a tag, but haven't found it yet. I'm going with the latest email I received.

How does yours fit on your neck? I don't have a neck like Goldberg and I'm definitely not a big guy, I'm 5' 7". I like the pack to feel snug and I don't like it to hang too low. When I get the pack where I want, the top part of the strap is wider and makes it uncomfortable on my neck.

EDIT: Thanks for rubbing it in about your patriotic pack origin :rolleyes:

Only pic I have of this one. Fits snugly and big enough for the necessary bits for tooling around. Made in Colorado I believe.

I bought two and one was made in the phillipines and one jn the usa. The phillipines made pack has held up very well. I dont sinch my pack too high up my back and I am 5-11" and 203 pounds. Ive never had a fit problem.

The HPG Umlindi has been on my radar too. Again, i just have never ponied up

Trevitrace, how does the vertical zipper work for you? To me it's such an untraditional design. I know Standard likes his and I never argue with Standard.

Thanks, Riz. Glad yours are working for you!

It's my first and only pack with a vertical zip. Loved the compactness of it but wasn't sure how I'd like the zipper orientation. After using it for the last 2+ years I'm sold on it. I really enjoy being able to access any particular part of the column of whatever stuff I have in it. Wish it had another picket inside the main one but it's not too big of deal.

i posted this pack a while back but it is very similar to the camelbak, but has the benefit of being made in the usa and backed by a lifetime warranty that SOC truly honors. i own 3 sandpiper of california packs and couldn't recommend them enough.
euEgG7O.jpg

Yes! I remember your pic from before. I immediately went to check out their website the first time and I did again today. Very cool American company.

Hill People Gears packs are built really well compared to others I've had.
The Tarahumara is awesome, but it's a bit small for my liking.
The Umlindi was nice a big, but the top access zipper sucked because you have to empty it to get to the bottom.
The Connor Pack is next on my list because it opens like a clamshell and the front pocket is similar to the Tara pack.

I ended up just going back to the 5.11 Rush 12 and 24 for now because I don't really get out and hike much. They're fairly cheap and they're built tough enough to get thrown around.
0cf662cd3ea0e9f57c039d7c22881197.jpg

This Rush 24 sits in the work truck with all of my tools and crap, and I have a black Rush 12 loaded in the closet.

I have been looking at the Mountainsmith Wizard and World Cup packs as well. I have their Tour and Day lumbar packs and they are just excellent.

I love all the talk about different brands of packs!

I came really close to pulling the trigger on a small Mountainsmith back pack for short nature walks with the kids, but I guess they make different models for men and women and only the women's was in stock while I was interested.

Riz, with your generation of HAWG, do you ever have issues with it bending or sagging and pulling away from your back when you wear it?

Here's a few photos I found for the HPG Connor Pack.
Now I'm wanting it even more.
70413d64125ee0fd742c586558c0b76c.jpg

c25547617a7630c991c805499e1d9da2.jpg

I may have to ditch a pack or a knife to cover one of these.

Riz, with your generation of HAWG, do you ever have issues with it bending or sagging and pulling away from your back when you wear it?

Yes. I cut a .125 inch thck piece of kydex and made a framesheet to fit the area where reservoir goes. Once I did that the pack was perfect. They designed it to be carried WITH a 100 oz bladder. With the full bladder the pack didnt sag. I primarily use the pack without the bladder.

Other packs that I have that I like.

GORuck Shadow ruck (a super slick version of the GR1)
TAG Chaos
Marmot Kompressor Plus

Packs that I have been eyeballin

Anything Hill People Gear
Mountainsmith Wizard, Tyrol and World Cup.
Kifaru Urban Zippy and some others
Sord USA Day pack

I like packs that have compression. Its a must for me. i cant stand a pack that sags when not full

I finally got a bit kit for my surge. Between the t25 bit and the fixed, large flat head I'm set for new and old spec handle adjustments. Gotta keep those torx tight and flat heads aligned!

The good old boonie hat is my go to summer hat and I have a bunch in all different camo patterns and solid colors. I wanted to try something different and when shopping around I found that Tilley has made a version of their T3 (the original design) that is OD green and pre washed so its nice and soft and looks worn in. Its called the wanderer. A bit (ok, a lot) more expensive than a boonie, but this thing is the hybrid between a boonie and an outback/safari hat that I had been looking for. I was concerned that it would be too hot in bright sun since its all 10oz cotton duck (same thing Carhartt jackets are made of) and due to the large vents in the side its not. I wore it in the heat and direct sun yesterday while fishing and I could actually feel a breeze in the hat when walking or when the wind blew even slightly. It wasnt hot at all. In totally stagnant, humid air it might get a little hot, but overall I was impressed. The only thing that would make it better would be if it was a 50/50 NyCo ripstop. Here are some pics.

946DFFF0-A6D3-43BC-8DFF-5AC132274B8A_zpsbt5gjpkm.jpg

F7AEA640-56C9-47C3-9F13-F483EDE6467D_zps9tge8bll.jpg

410BCBAE-1986-447E-BD1A-DFF60E66264A_zpsdpbg5gyv.jpg

Riz! Riz! Isn't a great feeling to find a piece of gear that fits exactly what you've been looking for? Looks great. Glad to hear it's working so well for you.

Back