OT: Gun guys...can't afford, don't need, won't be able to hunt with..

an SKS.

With this as a basis, I have this growing interest in this model, especially with the inexpensive military ammunition, and the idiot-proof design. My interest flies in the face of reality, but I'd appreciate your respective opinions of the various national editions of the rifle.

Also, I've read conflicting reports of a conversion to a detachable magazine. Any thoughts/experiences?

The only other large bore rifle I have is a small ring mauser in .308.

Thanks for your time.

Be well and safe.

The poor man's urban assault rifle. About the power of a 30-30, about as accurate, ones I have/have seen are highly reliable. Lots of cool stuff like folding stocks available. Use cheap surplus ammo bought in the thousands. Magazines work fine as well if you avoid the silly capacities and stick with 20-30 rounders. I have more interest in them as plinkers than "collectable". I look for the mismatched numbers and chewed up hardware (blems...check the bores though as old Russian ammo used corrosive primers) Get one...you won't regret it.

Kis,
there are so many great surplus rifles available now, I'd suggest you get an FAL.
The SKs is just not that great compared the other surplus military rifles out there these days.

Nasty pretty much called it. Most folks say that the Russians are most desirable followed by the Chinese SKS. I have a Yugo SKS. Its accurate to about 3 inches at 100 yds, extremely well made and has a rubber butt pad. Minus side is the great big grenade launcher attached to the muzzle. It looks like a hose nozzle and is about as useful. Understand that the launcher can be legally removed if you want and I may do that to mine. The Yugo is also considerably cheaper than the other models unless you get lucky.

Ice

Actually depends on what you want to hunt. Like Nasty said the 7.62x39 has about the same ballistics as a thutty thutty which has been adequate for a long time on intermediate sized game at around a 150 yards (more depending on your shooting ability).
Ive had several of them and liked them all. The Russians seem to be have the best fit and finish. All of them have been accurate plinkers and can be had fairly inexpensively. Ive never had any luck with anything other than the fixed mags with them (twenty rounders)
I have always ended up selling them and keeping an inexpensive AK though
Not sure why

but if weight is not a factor you might consider one of the CETME/HK91 or FN clones, they shoot .308 ( 7.62x51) The ammo is just about as cheap and packs lot more punch

Ditto again what Nasty said.

The SKS is a lot of fun (due to cheap ammo). The last one I bought was $89.00. (a few years ago) Can't go wrong I thought at that price. I've only had the Chinese versions. They are well built and go bang most every time.

SKS is a great thing to have. Simple, reliable, cheap ammo. Accurate. Easy to take down.

Best part is customizing... lots & lots of stocks, scopes, mags, options.

If you get a Chinese-made- and assuming your my size- you'll need a stock solution. Mine as came would fit a cub scout! Don't like a recoiling auto bolt that close to my eye.

Think I put a Butler Creek stock- made it a real rifle.

Ad Astra

The SKS..... Im no expert but have owned one for many years. First, DON"T go and buy them silly high capactiy mags. They rarely function properly and they take away from the sleekness of the SKS design. IMO. The rifles come with a resivior Fixed Mag ) that Holds 10 rnds. Thats all you will ever need. Laws in most states as far as hunting goes is a five rnd limit anyhow. I haven't a clue about your state. The Rifle's factory fixed mag is extremly reliable. Leave it that way. The loading method stated above is incorrect. I realise he was just saying that's how he saw it done. (The method he described was how to unload your rifle if your finnished shooting with ammo still in it). The rifle comes with a stripper clip guide built into the upper cover. Just put your ammo on the 10 round stripped clips and then slide it into the guide and press down on the ammo. Wa La .... You just reloaded in less than 5 seconds. I personally wouldn't take a shot with one over 100 yds. The round is a low powered round as far as deer are concerned.And use only soft point ammo. Military surplus FMJ are not legal to hunt game with. Im sure that standard across the board in all states. Winchester and other make quality hunting ammo. But if your .308 mauser shoots decent groups at 100 yds, thats what you need to go after deer with .Between the two anyhow. It's a better cartridge all the way around. Get you a -Chinese or Yugo ( Unissued model ) $150-$200 . Best of luck to you, WarDawg

The perfect pickup truck gun. Cheap, easy on ammo, and scoped mine is at least as accurate as a lever gun. Al

I've owned...um...4, I think. Good guns, sturdy, accurate. The best part about an SKS is the price- at least 2 of the ones I've had were purchased for less than $90. For my money, the best compromise in an SKS is the 16" barreled version with a 20-rd fixed magazine. The "detachable" mags for most SKS's are cumbersome and slow things, the exception being the SKS sporters that were made to take AK mags. The thing to change in an SKS is the sight. Install a good peep, or an optic.

Considering prices (last I checked) had risen dramatically, I think a more reasonable choice would be to get an inexpensive AK clone, such as the SAR-1. I bought two last year, one of them for $300. I've installed a Mojo peep sight, and called it good.

John

I LOVE my SKS. It's a Chinese Norinco, I paid $89 for it new a few years back. Reliable, accurate and fun to shoot with tons of inexpensive ammo still available for it.

Kismet, I'm sooo glad you asked this question.

My first SKS was a polytech from China. Polytech is actually a Norinco made to higher standards. After enjoying this gun for a couple years, I sold it. In fact, I've owned and sold 4 SKS's. ( I think- these damn SKS's come and go.) I always get another. I'm getting a Russian this Summer. But my most accurate SKS was a cheap, pinned barrel Chinese. I think it would do better than 2" at 100 yards, and because it was pinned and not the heavier threaded reciever and barrel design, it was light and a joy to carry. Sold it, of course, like all my others, for various reasons. New it cost me 79 dollars.

You've heard someone say get an FNFAL. Yes, I did get 'better' rifles too, but I always came back to the SKS. Why? Because it is indestructable, field accurate, fun and cheap to shoot, and should a civil disturbance arrive, a masterpeice. Yeah, we've got M1A's and FN's and HK's and what not. Imagine an LA riot though, and piling into the car and leaving the city behind. You think all the darling rifles we own we're going to risk being confiscated, ruined, destroyed or left behind? No way. ( and no, people, I'm not saying our Safe Queens wouldn't be called into action) The SKS is the perfect rifle. Clear the street behind you, throw the gun into the gutter, and drive off. Or leave it on the seat beside you. If a cop pulls you over and wants to disarm you because you're a dangerous threat to the Riot, let him have the rifle. No big deal. Even today you can buy one cheaper than 200. Get another.

There are a zillion after market add-ons and parts. In my experience, attempts to make the SKS an AK are unworthy. I've tried the longer mags, and they don't feed as reliably as the original Russian design. The Chinese Military tried to fit AK mags to the weapon and make it fully auto, but the product was unsatisfactory. It has no rotating bolt. It's like a cannon breach; straight in and straight out from the chamber mouth goes the bolt carriage. You gotta like the Russian robust thinking here. I had one of the very rare and original Chineese SKS's designed to accept AK mags. No, not the little carbine, the still rarer full sized rifle. It jammed. It was one tight rifle too. The piston in the gas tube was better fit than any I've ever seen. I think it was pretty much a Chinese military gun with semi auto parts. But the tolerances made it cycle too fast for the action.

The standard SKS, with fixed 10 round mag, is the way to go. Stripper clips make loading very quick.

I've sold many of these SKS's when I worked in the gun store. I've had many more just around in the high desert of Ca. ( Knowledge of- they were everywhere) This was back in the days when the desert was open, you could shoot and camp there without harrassment. (unless of course you camped too close to the local meth lab.)

I once had a campaign slogan that every man, woman and boy should be given a SKS by the US government.

I don't see how you could go wrong with one. Yeah, it's cheap and ugly. It's weight forward design is annoying. When the bolt carriage comes back to your cheek you'll feel it too. But in the words of one non gunner I'd sold an SKS to, "munk, they don't make enough ammo for this rifle for me ever to get bored firing it."

Someone said it was the perfect truck rifle, and he was right. I once read it had replaced the 30/30 in some of our Southern State's PickUp truck racks.

It is the one rifle I distain, but somehow, someway, always end up owning another. There just isn't anything on the market compares with it.

munk

Spectre- about owning an AK instead;
For some folks, yes. CE Harris once wrote an excellent side by side comparison of the two for Gun Digest- the SKS is cheaper, twice as cheap, just as reliable, and more accurate. It can do duty for civil distubance crisis without the blem of being an 'assault weapon." And it is a viable hunter, while very very few AK's are.

I have a pre Norinco hunter AK. A preban hunter, it is very finely made, the original and first type, milled reciever, rabbit ear sights, and NOT as accurate as an SKS. I have another AK- not as accurate as an SKS.

AK's are great, but there is a place for the SKS. An AK on the seat beside you is always going to cause a commotion. An SKS, not so.

munk

OK, then...most everybody thinks they are as durable as a hammer, accurate within a reasonable degree, inexpensive, and fine as-is, with maybe some sight tweaking.

AIM has Yugos at $99.00.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/cgi-bin/s...avian_M59_66_SKS_7_62x39_Rifle.html#a167#a167

Also, I have a friend who may have access to or knowledge of some in the area.

There are very few riots in rural Wisconsin. "Hey the cows are a riot!" "Well, yes, but most don't grasp their senses of humor." yuk. yuk.

(I'm still waiting on Rusty, of course.)

I'm hoping this is just winter boredom setting in and that I'll work my way through it.

I very much appreciate the time, effort, and expertise that went into the responses you have given. Nice to have access to knowledge from folks one trusts.

All additional input appreciated.

Be well and safe.

munk said:
Spectre- about owning an AK instead;
For some folks, yes. CE Harris once wrote an excellent side by side comparison of the two for Gun Digest- the SKS is cheaper, twice as cheap, just as reliable, and more accurate. It can do duty for civil distubance crisis without the blem of being an 'assault weapon." And it is a viable hunter, while very very few AK's are.

I have a pre Norinco hunter AK. A preban hunter, it is very finely made, the original and first type, milled reciever, rabbit ear sights, and NOT as accurate as an SKS. I have another AK- not as accurate as an SKS.

AK's are great, but there is a place for the SKS. An AK on the seat beside you is always going to cause a commotion. An SKS, not so.

munk

Big plus + 1 ........

Kis, if you think .311 is big bore it'll be a while before you get a 375 H&H.

But the SKS can hunt deer like a 30/30. Even better if you take Spectre's advice about improved sights.

I don't know why you'd hope this thought passes; it is a good thought.

munk

Munk said it all. I echo the advice of others here who warn against changing your SKS in order to "improve" or "upgrade" it. They're right about the aftermarket detachable 30rnd mags; they aren't reliable for the most part, and you will end up with a bunch of mags you can't really use because you don't trust them, and couldn't in good conscience pawn off on anybody else either for the same reason. As for peep sights or a scope, both are unnecessary. It's overkill for a 2-4 MOA rifle such as the SKS. The factory sight is more than adequate for such a rifle and such a caliber to get the job done. We're not talking about tack drivers here. Most shooters do not find a peep sight or scope necessary for a close to medium range rifle such as the SKS, and neither the SKS nor the 7.62x39 cartridge was ever intended to be accurate enough to require a scope in the first place. Both are more fragile than the factory sight as well. Money better spent elsewhere, like on scopes or upgrades for your FAL, 91, or AR.. The SKS has been produced by most of the ComBloc nations in the same basic form, without any significant modifications, except for stock dimensions, GL attachment, that sort of thing. So the design is tried and true as it is. But what the hell--if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is, right?

One more thing: I've never seen a Russian SKS with a chrome-lined bore, and it is my understanding that they do not exist. This alone is a deal breaker for me. Yeah, the Russian SKS' are of MARGINALLY better quality than the Chinese ON THE AVERAGE, but not enough to make up for that, and the beauty of Simonov's design is that it does not require high tolerances on its parts to function reliably anyway. I'd avoid Albanians for the same reason. Maybe someone here can confirm but I don't think the Yugos have chrome-lined bores either. I'd recommend going with the non-Sino/Soviet Chinese, as they are almost always the best deal, and they all have chrome-lined bores.

Back