Our Survive! Knives & Others We Love

Note Nathan's post from today regarding that survival knife pattern which he is going to market soon. As he said, he is looking for a slightly different name since he doesn't want to cause confusion because of his "affiliation" with Survive! Knives. I never, ever got any feeling that these two Cos were grabbing customers and business from one another and quite frankly, some folks will never be able to own a CPK because their marketing technique is such that it does not suit everyone's pace and availabity. Although a little bit of friendly competition is always healthy, these two Cos ought to have zero concerns about undermining each other, which I am sure that they do not. I enjoy both subforums but this is where I earned my stripes first :)

I still think the name you first came up with fits the best. It isn't hard to remember "Wilderness" Knife. The name just suits it's uses to a tee in my mind.
You're definitely right about the friendly competition between the two companies. They're both top notch makers making similar style knives that are highly sought after.

The choice is easy for me since the only 2 S!Ks I have so far are 4.7s.
I'm sure some of you are a bit tired of hearing me talk about a certain other knife, so I'll just leave it that :D

eb984f23f37201729fa773f3c7f68c62.jpg

I still want to get another 4.7 every time I see photos like this!
I grabbed a 5.1, but it just isn't working out for me.

I still think the name you first came up with fits the best. It isn't hard to remember "Wilderness" Knife. The name just suits it's uses to a tee in my mind.
You're definitely right about the friendly competition between the two companies. They're both top notch makers making similar style knives that are highly sought after.

it seems that you and I were the only ones who liked that name! maybe something in the water here in Cali that gives us the kinship but then again, how do we explain the rest of this motely crew on here? ;)

Ehhhh.....this one's hard. I'll add 2 pairs just to be a pain in the @$$...you tell me which pair you like best!!

Pair 1 sentimental pair:

When I got this knife it immediately became my favorite knife. My numbered 5.1...It's the only knife that I pull out just to look at. I am on my 3rd set of handles and I still do a lot of work with it.

Leatherman Wave - I've had this one for almost 14 years and I always take it out with me.

Practical pair:

Usually when I grab a knife I grab this one, my new 5.1 in 3v

My Lagom, not the Mora, though I do like it. I love LT Wright's scandis and 01.

Whoa... this seems like I stumbled upon what should have been a private conversation. :shocked:
Private? The vids are up on youtube :eek:

I liked the wilderness name! And yeah, the relationships between the companies seems good. If there's another brand I could get behind, it would be CPK. I've probably been snobby about some other knives in the past, but I try to be open minded and let people like what they like. Spice of life, people!

HK, I can't tell if the CPK FK is closer to the 4.1 or 4.7. I thought for sure the 4.7, but now your pic has me questioning what I thought...

I still want to get another 4.7 every time I see photos like this!
I grabbed a 5.1, but it just isn't working out for me.

It's strange how there are quite a few guys who find the 5.1 is perfect for them, but others end up putting them up on the exchange and keeping their 4.7s instead!

Private? The vids are up on youtube :eek:

I stumbled on a weird "outdoor channel" last year which probably has these very vids you speak of, and now I'm scarred for life :(

HK, I can't tell if the CPK FK is closer to the 4.1 or 4.7. I thought for sure the 4.7, but now your pic has me questioning what I thought...

I think it does has more similarities with the 4.1 aside from the spine thicknesses. The 4.7 is slightly thinner than the FK, but the 4.1 is more thinner than both.

Since I was just messing with Silver on my first post, here is my official entry :D

I had an idea today for a new topic.There are probably other topics similar to this already, but I haven't seen one for awhile. I'd like to know about the knives you love. I thought it would be fun to see everyone's favorite Survive! knife and also find out what other knives you love.

Very nice thread Dr Jenks. I like that this doesn't necessarily have to be a favorite blade, but a blade that we love :thumbup:

The first S!K that I was able to get my hands on was the 3.5. I bought it on a whim straight from the company because that's what I could get. I didn't do a bunch of research on it, taking in the technical specs to make sure it fit my hand, make sure the blade was the right size/length/thickness, etc. I just bought it. I wanted to see what the fuss was about, and I had seen some pictures that Calc had shared elsewhere. I almost immediately fell in love with it. I pulled the clip and just dropped it in my pocket, first time I've really ever had a fixed blade work for me like that before, but the 3.5 just seemed like it was made for me.

At the head of the pack

CIoYnwQ.jpg

All dressed up in it's Sunday best

QJk0KrK.jpg

I'll share something a little different here for the second knife. This is a knife my dad built for my granddad about the time that I was born. It's just a piece of M2 from a used up planer blade salvaged from the scrap of the sawmill he worked for at the time. The blade used to be longer than this even, but my granddad broke it off in a deer pelvis I think. My dad reshaped it, and my grandmother, upset at grandpa breaking her favorite 'kitchen knife,' requisitioned it from him for her own use :) She took it out of her things about a year before she passed and called me in and gave it to me. I went into the local saddlery shop and had them build a sheath for it. You can see it's not the prettiest piece of cutlery ever to exist, but it is very fine in my heart.

EQWafiA.jpg

It's almost in between the two. More substantial than the 4.1, but less so than the 4.7. And feels different than both, definitely a unique knife.

It's almost in between the two. More substantial than the 4.1, but less so than the 4.7. And feels different than both, definitely a unique knife.
That makes sense. I can see what Standard meant when he said the comparisons would really fly when the new 4.1 comes out.

I really liked your pick for the knife you love. That is meaningful family history!

That makes sense. I can see what Standard meant when he said the comparisons would really fly when the new 4.1 comes out.

I really liked your pick for the knife you love. That is meaningful family history!

Thanks bud. It was nice to walk down memory lane with that one, and I'm glad you liked it.

Here's my very first Survive knife , my old GSO 5 . I still have it and it's still my go to knife for camping hikes in the woods and batoning . I no longer have the Necker II .

P1070465_zps1ac0dd96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this is one that I always thought was a great looking knife and I just recently found a deal on one and grabbed it .

P1080520_zpstdk4hwu2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Hard Knocks . Yeah I think the Ratweiler has nice lines . This one will be nice to use because it's the .187" model . So it's pretty light and the edge looks thin enough to cut and chop well .
Looks like you have a few knives there from the Swamp as well ;) , Very nice collection of knives :thumbup:

it seems that you and I were the only ones who liked that name! maybe something in the water here in Cali that gives us the kinship but then again, how do we explain the rest of this motely crew on here? ;)

Hopefully they'll narrow down the names and put them up to a vote.
It looks like we have Silver Needle on our side now!

No chance of that!

HjYOabj.jpg

Nope, none at all :D

When my GSO-6 gets here this spring/summer (I hope) you and I need to meet up in Boise at a bar/coffee shop or something like that and just compare these knives. Of course I would could only bring a necker, GSO-5, 5.1 and 6. (they are the only nice knives I have). The other ones are the Ontario RTAK II and Buck Hoodlum. The RTAK II gets used and abused for batoning and the Buck Hoodlum needs to be dusted off. Its never been used, ever. I am afraid that I will break it since its the first run that had the breaking problems at the notch in the blade.

By the way that is cools story about your grandmothers knife.

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

When my GSO-6 gets here this spring/summer (I hope) you and I need to meet up in Boise at a bar/coffee shop or something like that and just compare these knives. Of course I would could only bring a necker, GSO-5, 5.1 and 6. (they are the only nice knives I have). The other ones are the Ontario RTAK II and Buck Hoodlum. The RTAK II gets used and abused for batoning and the Buck Hoodlum needs to be dusted off. Its never been used, ever. I am afraid that I will break it since its the first run that had the breaking problems at the notch in the blade.

By the way that is cools story about your grandmothers knife.

Ya for sure. I get down there at least once a week for work. Do you live in the valley?

Back