Overall best EDC?

I can’t really pick my personal overall favorite knife because there are just too many variables and I’m lucky enough to see a pretty diverse array of situations. But if I were to pick a knife as a thing and try to take a good array of situations and keep in mind materials, their applications, and pick a diverse design it would have to be a Sebenza. If it weren’t for pesky preemptive blade length laws it would be a Large Sebenza. But because those do exist, I pick the Small Sebenza.

I don't agree the Koenig is the best EDC (at least to me/ where I am) because the shown model is VERY expensive (I think over 700€ here in Germany)[other models go from 500€ to over 900€]. I think for 80-90% of people out there a Delica is everything they'll ever need in a knife.
  • Factory edge: I don't care but it cuts(though it's nothing to write home about)
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: If tuned correctly(!) can be flicked open and drops if you release the lock, but at the end of the day it's a backlock
  • Materials: FRN scales and VG-10 - it's a working knife. If you want you can get it in supersteels or with Ti Scales
  • Weight: 70g - everything under 100g is g2g imo
  • Ease of assembly: If you have done it a few times it's no problem, but harder than a framelock
  • Tolerance consistency: How does this matter for an EDC? :D Out of all Delicas I had one had a stiff action, the others were great
  • Longevity: Really beat on a Delica at work and it held up without problems (until I lost it). Under normal everyday use it'd probably last a lifetime or have something like the clip fail at some point
  • Legality: I modify mine to slipjoint, so it's legal in lots of places (I think even the UK allows OHO if they don't lock?)
  • Ease of opening/closing: opening couldn't be easier, closing: with backlock more of a two hand task though it can be onehanded, as slipjoint just close it
  • Attainability: They're everywhere
  • Beauty: Yes... :D
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Through the roof
  • Cost: Depending on how fancy you wanna go somewhere between 80€ to 300€(fully decked out ZDP Blade with Ti ccales and clip)
And to do the same thing again: If you want something more fancy, Spydiechef:
  • Factory edge: See delica
  • Ergos: Great
  • Action: Flicks open everytime and drops shut(with washers!). Fidgetable
  • Materials: Ti and LC200N. I'd wish for harder steel but not because I need it, rather because I'm a nerd
  • Weight: 108g not the lightest but certainly nice to carry
  • Ease of assembly: Framelock with washers - nuff said
  • Tolerance consistency: Can't speak, only had one
  • Longevity: Can't rust, I think the washers are Nylon so that may pose a problem over time but other than that I don't see it failing
  • Legality: Bad - OHO Locking and over 3" blade
  • Ease of opening/closing: Spydiehole and great action
  • Attainability: Easy
  • Beauty: I think it looks great
  • Customer Service: never had to use it
  • Reliability: Rustproof, holds an edge. But still LC200N isn't the toughest so you will probably get some edge damage in hard use
  • Cost: Got mine for 250€ new. Lets be real: no normal person is going to pay that much but for knife people it's a perfectly reasonable price
Honorable mention: Fox FX-121

EDIT: what the heck, here are some pictures of the current delica :D I think the bronzed screws are a thing of beauty together with the blue-grey scales
Q9ztdN6.jpg

hdF5CbU.jpg

Also have a Deepcarry-Ti-Clip on there.
The Delica clearly is very popular. It doesn't fit my hand well, and for me the Chaparral – smaller in many ways – gives a more substantial grip and is one of my favorite EDC knives.

I get where you're coming from on the Arius. It starts around $500 in the US, which is more expensive than a lot of great knives out there. I think the Arius fares well by all your criteria except cost – although for those looking at knives in its price range, it may be a bargain by virtue of its quality and design – and maybe "legality" depending on where you live.

As I previously posted, I love the SpydieChef. Aside from your criteria, other things that matter to me are blade design and how well a knife carries, or fits in the pocket. In both of these the SpydieChef excels, in my view.

An Old Timer 7OT/6OT or Buck 110 or 112, a Buck 301 Stockman, and a 4 blade Scout/Camp Knife or SAK Huntsman has been my EDC Trio for about 40 plus years now.
I'll add a Marlin Spike, Pruning Knife, or other specialized knife if I know I'll need it that day.

My top picks at the moment are Spyderco Spydiechef/ PM2, Fox TUR and Giantmouse Ace Nimbus.

I'm 5 pages behind. Has the group come to a decision?

After quite some time I have compiled a list of rankings for the knives ya'll have chosen as your 'overall EDCs,' so far. If more than one knife was provided, I included them all up to 5 (Tommy chi's and afishhunter's answers are not included in this list). It's very possible I miscounted and/or missed a submission, don't be mad!

P.S. Shoutout to Whp. Thank you for providing some of us with intellect and higher thinking.

11 VOTES - NO SURPRISE #1
Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 - 9 of 11 spec. stated as small seb./1 of 11 spec. stated as including insingo
6 VOTES
Swiss Army Knives (SAK) - Various configs.
5 VOTES
2. Papertowel - Brand/custom maker not specified
4 VOTES
Bugout, Benchmade
940, Benchmade
Delica, Spyderco
PM2, Spyderco
3 VOTES

Inkosi, CRK - 2 of 3 spec. stated as small ink./1 of 3 spec. stated as insingo
Recon1, Coldsteel
Gayle Bradley 1, Spyderco
SpydieChef, Spyderco
2 VOTES

303, Buck
Feist, Kizer
Endura 4, Spyderco
Military, Spyderco
PM3, Spyderco
1 'VOTES'

Sere 2k, Al Mar
Contego, Benchmade
Mini Grip, Benchmade
Exskelibur 1, Boker
110, Buck
112, Buck
Sodbuster, Case
#1/#2, CharlieMike Custom (Congrats on over 4 years!!!!!)
Umnumzaan, CRK
Lawman, Coldsteel
CQC-7, Emerson
Seax, Emerson
TUR, Fox Knives
Shamwari, Gareth Bull
Nimbus, Giant Mouse (ACE)
Kwaiback, Hoback Knives
Gemini, Kizer
Swiss Guard, Klotzli
Mini Goblin, Koenig (not including mine)
TM1, Lionsteel
Shuffler, Lionsteel
Wasp, Manly USA
Busker, Olamic
#9, Opinel
Spidermonkey, Southern Grind
Dragonfly, Spyderco
Manbug, Spyderco
Mantra 2, Spyderco
Native, Spyderco
Shaman, Spyderco
UKPK, Spyderco - 1 of 1 spec. stated as S110V
Neutron, Three Rivers
Flipper, Walter Wells
0450, Zero Tolerance
0566, Zero Tolerance

After quite some time I have compiled a list of rankings for the knives ya'll have chosen as your 'overall EDCs,' so far. If more than one knife was provided, I included them all up to 5 (Tommy chi's and afishhunter's answers are not included in this list). It's very possible I miscounted and/or missed a submission, don't be mad!

P.S. Shoutout to Whp. Thank you for providing some of us with intellect and higher thinking.

11 VOTES - NO SURPRISE #1
Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 - 9 of 11 spec. stated as small seb./1 of 11 spec. stated as including insingo
6 VOTES
Swiss Army Knives (SAK) - Various configs.
5 VOTES
2. Papertowel - Brand/custom maker not specified
4 VOTES
Bugout, Benchmade
940, Benchmade
Delica, Spyderco
PM2, Spyderco
3 VOTES

Inkosi, CRK - 2 of 3 spec. stated as small ink./1 of 3 spec. stated as insingo
Recon1, Coldsteel
Gayle Bradley 1, Spyderco
SpydieChef, Spyderco
2 VOTES

303, Buck
Feist, Kizer
Endura 4, Spyderco
Military, Spyderco
PM3, Spyderco
1 'VOTES'

Sere 2k, Al Mar
Contego, Benchmade
Mini Grip, Benchmade
Exskelibur 1, Boker
110, Buck
112, Buck
Sodbuster, Case
#1/#2, CharlieMike Custom (Congrats on over 4 years!!!!!)
Umnumzaan, CRK
Lawman, Coldsteel
CQC-7, Emerson
Seax, Emerson
TUR, Fox Knives
Shamwari, Gareth Bull
Nimbus, Giant Mouse (ACE)
Kwaiback, Hoback Knives
Gemini, Kizer
Swiss Guard, Klotzli
Mini Goblin, Koenig (not including mine)
TM1, Lionsteel
Shuffler, Lionsteel
Wasp, Manly USA
Busker, Olamic
#9, Opinel
Spidermonkey, Southern Grind
Dragonfly, Spyderco
Manbug, Spyderco
Mantra 2, Spyderco
Native, Spyderco
Shaman, Spyderco
UKPK, Spyderco - 1 of 1 spec. stated as S110V
Neutron, Three Rivers
Flipper, Walter Wells
0450, Zero Tolerance
0566, Zero Tolerance

Please add 29 votes to the PM2.

IMG_2109.JPG

/thread

My list is only comprised of answers with unique knives<5. Therefore, you must be omitted, I'm sorry.

-Eddie-

P.S. You must be misspelling your country's name because I am the sole owner of the island of Ireland!
You apparently don’t know that only Platinum members can make up arbitrary rules within a thread.
:D

You apparently don’t know that only Platinum members can make up arbitrary rules within a thread.
:D
Like Ireland...I own this thread. Bf is just hosting it for me, I make my own rules (for my list). I am an obsidian member...one-of-a-kind. Which one of your PM2 do you adore that most??

So far CF (carbon fiber) AD20.5 with thumb studs removed. Not my favorite as far as looks and feel but very easy to carry and perfect size (I like bigger but so far don’t need it) Demko nailed this as an EDC design. It’s too useful to leave at home.

Last edited:
Everybody voting for and hollering in support of and what not for folders, but you have to take into account the maintenance
You eventually have to send your folder In for tinkering, or take it apart yourself, and in some camp ground, why bother?
In my specific line of experience, I am predominantly blue-collar, I don't have time for small parts in the dirt. Get yourself a neck knife fixed blade. Folder size- fixed-strength
Wander tactical Raptor comes to mind
As an idea

3” Les George escv
3.5” Les George vecp
3-4” Les George talos/mk3

Personally, I feel the most underrated maker! Should be included in the trinity if not top of the trinity!

Imo

3” Les George escv
3.5” Les George vecp
3-4” Les George talos/mk3

Personally, I feel the most underrated maker! Should be included in the trinity if not top of the trinity!

Imo
Completely agree with this statement!

Back