Overpriced knives in terms of materials, quality & service

Actually that is Boris....we've known for a while just biding our time as he continues on with the same shtick. I think we're done with it now. :)

Awesome! :thumbup:

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

Am I reading this correctly? Turns out ol Duane is Boris?
Actually that is Boris....we've known for a while just biding our time as he continues on with the same shtick. I think we're done with it now. :)

I knew it I knew it I knew it, instead of continuing with his Schrade escapade he changed his tact to avoid being ousted. I knew they were so alike it was more than a coincidence.

And the spider gets squished again! :thumbup:

[video=youtube;o8dSBWysmnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM[/video]

[video=youtube;NmPhaG1ud38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPhaG1ud38[/video]

My take is that there is only one class of knife that can be overpriced; the knife I am only vaguely interested in. The knife I am uninterested in is never overpriced. I don't care how much it is, because I don't want it anyway. The knife I want is not overpriced, I just perhaps haven't saved up enough for it yet. Only the knife I would be interested in trying, if the situation were made convenient enough to do so, can be overpriced. In this case the cost keeps the opportunity from being viewed as convenient enough.

X

Last edited:
Yeah, I keep seeing all these new Mid-Techs coming from people I've never heard of, sporting a $400 - $600 price tag, and frankly I fail to see enough value in most of them. For me it is lack of aesthetics on a lot of these new Mid-Techs. Something that makes them stand out. A lot of the new models are just another "forgettable folder". A Run-of-the-mill blade steel and grind, and the kiss of death for me, plain grey titanium scales. If I see that, I drive on.

For a knife in the $400+ range I expect more... A great grind, good steel, smooth action (manual or flipper), great lockup, interesting scale materials, or nice machining and anodizing on the titanium. A combination of features that brings enough of what I personally value to equal the price tag.

Mostly looking at production and mid tech knives.

Of course, these are somewhat subjective opinions. No malice intended.

For me Brous Blades, Medford, Rockstead, Strider, Emerson, Defiant7, MicroTech, Benchmade Gold Class, Pohl Force, Extrema Ratio, etc. It doesn't mean all their models are overpriced but mostly yes.

Some others possibly heading to the overpriced realm or already there: Andre de Villiers, Ferrum Forge, Olamic, Reate, etc.

I thought Shirogorov were overpriced until prices on them tumbled this year to something more realistic.

I don't think Chris Reeve and Hinderer are overpriced.

Its interesting that you think Hinderer's aren't overpriced. A $400+ flipper that doesn't flip certainly fits the bill.
I think Emersons are by far the most "overpriced." I've seen chinese knives with....well better everything than an Emerson.

Now, the question becomes is it worth buying?
Look at surefire. $200-300 for a flashlight is absurd. However, there are very few flashlight brands out there that have the reputation and durability

As for a lot of the new mid-techs. Personally, I do not see the value in them but they're more for collectors than users. I'd love to own a Begg Bodega, but there is no way I would pay $800 for one.

Its interesting that you think Hinderer's aren't overpriced. A $400+ flipper that doesn't flip certainly fits the bill.
I think Emersons are by far the most "overpriced." I've seen chinese knives with....well better everything than an Emerson.

Now, the question becomes is it worth buying?
Look at surefire. $200-300 for a flashlight is absurd. However, there are very few flashlight brands out there that have the reputation and durability

As for a lot of the new mid-techs. Personally, I do not see the value in them but they're more for collectors than users. I'd love to own a Begg Bodega, but there is no way I would pay $800 for one.

Hinderer was definitely overpriced a year or so ago. Now, even with the May 2015 price increase the XM-18 go for $425 which I think is not overpriced. They're great folders with one of the best in hand ergos and great materials and quality. I once requested a spring for a Hinderer pen and received two at no charge in short order. My last XM-18 in April 2015 has a strong detent and excellent flipping action.

SureFire was way overpriced but it has outstanding customer service and warranty. My X300 was repaired and returned in a week. Of course, Chinese competition has crushed them but their prices are much better now.

Todd Begg knives are incredible but overpriced and most use just N690. The Todd Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken came to the rescue at "only" $445. It's made by Reate and has better quality and materials than a regular Todd Begg at twice the price. Is the Steelcraft Kwaiken still overpriced? Perhaps. Personally, I'm of two minds on it but it's perhaps the best flipper I've had! There are no absolutes.

Oh really? They flip and open other ways just fine, if you know how to do it.:rolleyes:

[video=youtube;1FqxxE5aVlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqxxE5aVlY[/video]

LOL, he gave himself up when he referenced the shrade(to me anyway)

I'm ignorant. What knife brand and model is in those pics? And I think I like the looks of that one.

Sorry, that is my old Busse SHBM made in 1998 and still being abused by another forum member to this day. And I was kidding about the home depot part. Though I wish that were true

We had an Airedale and he was a total badass. Once the hounds treed 4 raccoons up the same big oak tree, at the end of a corn field. One was shot out and the two black and tans were fighting it. The other 3 raccoons heard the battle and dropped out of the tree. That Airedale actually broke off the first raccoon and killed all three of them, all by himself. The single minded hounds didn't even know the other raccoons had bailed out.

Last edited:
Sorry, that is my old Busse SHBM made in 1998 and still being abused by another forum member to this day. And I was kidding about the home depot part. Though I wish that were true

I knew the home depot was a joke though. I'll have to start looking at their offerings. Thank you.

ETA: All their knives are discontinued???

ETA2: Nevermind. Found some on sale. I'll have to simmer down on my want for a while.

Last edited:
Oh really? They flip and open other ways just fine, if you know how to do it.:rolleyes:

[video=youtube;1FqxxE5aVlY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqxxE5aVlY[/video]

If you have to "learn" to flip a $400+ flipper then it doesn't flip well, imho. I ran through a couple that were horrible flippers, basically grav knives, but I did finally get one a few months ago with a real detent that flips well 90% of the time...a major improvement for Hinderer.

If you have to "learn" to flip a $400+ flipper then it doesn't flip well, imho. I ran through a couple that were horrible flippers, basically grav knives, but I did finally get one a few months ago with a real detent that flips well 90% of the time...a major improvement for Hinderer.

Some people just have skills.

Back