Overpriced knives in terms of materials, quality & service

Stop talking about people who aren't even here anymore. Just ignore him, or better yet, actually put him on your ignore list! Make an attempt to talk about the subject, this isn't w&c.

I think SOG knives are overpriced in general, because they still sell to the uninformed on an outdated reputation.

I agree that Brous blades are high priced.

If you compare the price to a Benchmade or a ZT, they lose every time. One thing you are paying for with any of these small makers is the high cost of low production.

I would have loved for the new Bionic XL to come in at $150. I think we could have sold them out. At $199, they are a good price for a Brous. We will see what happens.

At the end of the day, a product is worth what people will pay. I think there are a lot of companies who have pushed it right to the limit. Brous is one of them.

I also saw Northwoods bantered about. They are about 10% higher than a comparable GEC + pocket slip. They sell out in a couple of days. Right now there are knives on eBay we sold for 129 selling for 250. I don't think they are over priced.

Stop talking about people who aren't even here anymore. Just ignore him, or better yet, actually put him on your ignore list! Make an attempt to talk about the subject, this isn't w&c.

I think SOG knives are overpriced in general, because they still sell to the uninformed on an outdated reputation.

Yeah, you are right. Besides a newbie posting in an arrogant way with no pics to back anything up is just like farting in the wind.

I guaranty you I have used knives in way more situations than you have over the years. IN fact why don't you post some pics or vids of what you have done? I like how you presume that others do nothing with what they have, and you are the only one that does. That is so Boris like. No wonder others have joked and said "Boris?" Arrogance from someone who just joined is hilarious. You, Gaston and Boris should start your own forum. Yes, we should

Already told you I'm sorry you feel like you do. As for videos, I watched you chop slice and cut some wood you bought at Home Depot. First thing I noticed straight off was extreme unsafe knife use. After that there is some pretty poor technique displayed.

I'm sure of it, you aren't able to offer me any educational information at this time. All I really ask of you is to please, PLEASE get some instruction on how to safely handle a knife. It would be helping others to remove your videos because someone might see them and go out and do what you do, then split their leg open starting at the knee.

Yeah, you are right. Besides a newbie posting in an arrogant way with no pics to back anything up is just like farting in the wind.
Yeah, I mean it's not like people who have been here are going to take his word over yours. But if someone new views this thread, it'd be best to seem the more civil poster.

Already told you I'm sorry you feel like you do. As for videos, I watched you chop slice and cut some wood you bought at Home Depot. First thing I noticed straight off was extreme unsafe knife use. After that there is some pretty poor technique displayed.

I'm sure of it, you aren't able to offer me any educational information at this time. All I really ask of you is to please, PLEASE get some instruction on how to safely handle a knife. It would be helping others to remove your videos because someone might see them and go out and do what you do, then split their leg open starting at the knee.

I didn't realize Home depot sold this:

116_1622.jpg

This
116_1616.jpg

or this
116_1615.jpg

not even the dog:
116_1620.jpg

where are your pics bud?

by the way, that knife right there, has probably seen more abuse than all your knives and Gastons knives put together. No not probably. Definitely

I didn't realize Home depot sold this:

116_1622.jpg

This
116_1616.jpg

or this
116_1615.jpg

not even the dog:
116_1620.jpg

where are your pics bud?

by the way, that knife right there, has probably seen more abuse than all your knives and Gastons knives put together. No not probably. Definitely

I've said it before, a knife without a purpose is not a knife. I keep seeing you post pictures of playing in the backyard. I've never removed a knife from a sheath unless I need to use it. I do not play in my back yard. I do not take a picture taking device when I go past the barns or leave the truck for a trail.

Nice looking dog. I'm glad you have fun playing in the backyard, but almost any knife will serve you for that.

I'm happy you enjoy your knives.

If you compare the price to a Benchmade or a ZT, they lose every time. One thing you are paying for with any of these small makers is the high cost of low production.

I would have loved for the new Bionic XL to come in at $150. I think we could have sold them out. At $199, they are a good price for a Brous. We will see what happens.

At the end of the day, a product is worth what people will pay. I think there are a lot of companies who have pushed it right to the limit. Brous is one of them.

I also saw Northwoods bantered about. They are about 10% higher than a comparable GEC + pocket slip. They sell out in a couple of days. Right now there are knives on eBay we sold for 129 selling for 250. I don't think they are over priced.
Thanks for weighing in, Derrick. I appreciate your willingness to say it like it is with respect to Brous pricing. I also appreciate the fact that you were willing to invest in a product you believe in and bring it to market despite the risks you outlined in your post. Unlike most of us, this discussion isn't merely academic for you.

As a long-time fan of KSF, I wish you every success in selling your Brous Bionic XLs.

Last edited:
Count me among those disappointed in the fit and finish of the Queen-made Northwoods. On a relative basis, (meaning compared to the quality and fit and finish 8 or 9 GECs I bought) I have to say they were over-priced.

The handle on one has a rivet protruding that is annoyingly sharp. Another has awful asymmetrical grinds on the blade. If I pay a premium price, I expect premium quality. I consider $130 and up for a slip joint traditional folder to be pretty much getting into the realm of a premium price.

Yes, I know they certainly sell out fast, but we're just talkin' here, guys, and that is my opinion of the two Queen-made Northwoods that I bought.

As a long-time fan of KSF, I wish you every success in selling your Brous Bionic XLs.

Thanks. These are make it or break it for Brous on my site. His knives are good, but they are fairly slow sellers. The exclusive is an effort to get our name out with Brous customers. We will see.

The knives themselves are really great. :) Jason, personally, is a great guy. I just think the pricing is pushing the market envelope.

Thanks. These are make it or break it for Brous on my site. His knives are good, but they are fairly slow sellers. The exclusive is an effort to get our name out with Brous customers. We will see.

The knives themselves are really great. :) Jason, personally, is a great guy. I just think the pricing is pushing the market envelope.
Sort of a combination of a selling effort and a market survey, huh? Well I don't doubt that the Bionic XLs are well-made. It's just a matter of finding out what the market is really like in $200 Brous blades.

Again, I hope your hunch pays off. :) And remember, success is being right 51% of the time. ;)

Last edited:

Even $149-$189 as opposed to $199-$239 is a challenge for these KSF exclusive Brous Bionic XL with aluminum handle and D2.

I know even the popular ZT 0770CFM4 has now been around since last December with ZT quality, all made in the U.S., CPM-M4 steel and nice carbon fiber going for $238.95!

Regardless, I wish you an extra measure of success on this project Derrick.

I think the Brous Enforcer kerambit is priced where it should be... even though I had to do some work (that I would charge $70 for) to it. I paid $271 shipped and I would have definitely paid $341 if it came from the factory with all the stuff I had done to it.

Well, this thread is gonna be dumb now. The old, in vs out, us vs them. And it was a relatively interesting discussion. Bummer.

I'll try anyway. Anyone ever thought a knife was overpriced, but liked it and bought it anyway? Did it change your mind?

Good question. I know I overpaid dearly for the two Diskin knives I have but am still satisfied.

I've said it before, a knife without a purpose is not a knife. I keep seeing you post pictures of playing in the backyard. I've never removed a knife from a sheath unless I need to use it. I do not play in my back yard. I do not take a picture taking device when I go past the barns or leave the truck for a trail.

Nice looking dog. I'm glad you have fun playing in the backyard, but almost any knife will serve you for that.

I'm happy you enjoy your knives.

No problem. Enjpy your safe queens ince you have never done anything with them. Ciao

I guaranty you I have used knives in way more situations than you have over the years. IN fact why don't you post some pics or vids of what you have done? I like how you presume that others do nothing with what they have, and you are the only one that does. That is so Boris like. No wonder others have joked and said "Boris?" Arrogance from someone who just joined is hilarious. You, Gaston and Boris should start your own forum. Yes, we should

Actually that is Boris....we've known for a while just biding our time as he continues on with the same shtick. I think we're done with it now. :)

Is that right? 40 degrees? I am not saying I know 100% but an angle starts from the bottom, so it seems 20 degrees per side is still 20 degrees, on each side how does 20 degrees ever make 40? 40 would have to be 40 on each side. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong to think this way. It just seems you don't add two different angles to combine and make 40.

I guess this is how the 20 degree standard chosen by knifemakers perpetuates itself...: I don't hold this against you at all for not knowing this for certain, as I myself was confused about this for decades.... I've seen even KNIFEMAKERS puzzled by my constant use of the precise 20 degrees per side term, like they could not figure out that this actually means a 40 degree inclusive edge (or should I say wedge?), when both sides of the sharpening angle are added up...

People think that, when they have a 20 degree edge, conveniently unspecified, their knife actually is cutting with a mean-sounding 20 degree V shape... In fact their knives are twice as dull as anything they can picture in their minds...: A "20 degree edge" is really a 40 degree total angle...: Something that, depending on bevel thickness, requires so much effort to actually cut any thick material that it really is an accident waiting to happen... Oh yes it can slice paper and shave hairs... Big deal.

In the old days, people had their knives scratched up their sides because they laid them flat on the stone, and nobody even had a notion of tolerating the ridiculous edge angles that are accepted today... That's probably because they needed their knives more...

So thanks to this quite deliberately maintained confusion, a lot of the knife buying public don't even properly understand that the measurement of their edges means they have something any non-knife person would consider quite blunt...: I guess owners, and makers, would not be so thrilled to tout the sharpness of their stuff if they quoted the actual inclusive edge angle as 40 degrees... :D :D :D

Marketing you know...

The reason for this subterfuge, of course, is that closed angles are more risky for the steel, and make it more vulnerable to visually apparent failure (chips, bends etc), so completely against the interests of the knifemaker's reputation (even Randall themselves very clearly recommends 40 degrees inclusive, but conveniently stops their diagram's count at 20...: Their out of the box edges are dull in accordance- But at least they are beautifully thin laterally, so, in the immortal words of Gary Randall: "You know how to sharpen knives, don't you?" )...

Actually a true 20 degree inclusive edge is getting on the "too sharp" side, and is unforgiving of all but the best steels: 24 degrees inclusive is probably better: So far only my Randall Model 12 in 440B, and my Lile Mission in D-2, have held up perfectly chopping wood at such thin angles... S30V by RJ Martin narrowly failed by making a slight wire edge, but there were mitigating factors, except that the edge was quite a bit more open in angle than the 440B and D-2 blades... Hem... Anyway, unlike anyone here steeped in certainties, I won't make any claims of scientific validity... Be very skeptical of precise rankings that divide steels in a half dozen categories...:rolleyes:

As far as the "scientific" aspect of steel testing, just the fact there is so much emphasis here on steel type shows you the scientific foundations of "S3V is better than 440" is quite shaky: I won't even go into heat-treatment, but just consider how "clean" is the steel... Cleanliness is an unknown factor in any steel, and yet it can easily overwhelm any claim of superiority made... How clean is the steel really depends on the source, and there are often many sources... I'll tell you my feeling about it though...: Randall probably uses a very clean source for that lowly 440 steel...

Just consider that ALL testing of knife edges (tests which the steel manufacturers emphatically don't do, since that is a low-tech specialty) is done with completely different knives, not even identical test mules, and you get an idea how subjective the whole issue is, this from people who are not always sure what the edge angle they have actually refers to...

Gaston

Last edited:
Back