1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Para 3 Lightweight

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jazub, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Stephen Rockefeller

Stephen Rockefeller

Apr 24, 2019
    The detent seems different from the regular para 3......am I wrong?

2. Chesapeake/cbr

Chesapeake/cbr

Apr 5, 2019
    I think I am going to wait ,one washer and the lock being secured by the FRN seems jenky to me ,and what was the reason for this blade steel?cost?

mdrgn79 likes this.
  3. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    My Para 3 LW is out for delivery today, excited to see how it compares to my Bugout which is my main EDC for the office.

TheFactor likes this.
  4. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Got one last week. Seems like a great knife and I saw zero imperfections. It's just a bit blade heavy for me. I'd rather have the full liners and S30V.

5. Chesapeake/cbr

Chesapeake/cbr

Apr 5, 2019
    Ya I just don’t understand what there is to get excited about ,it’s not like my regular para 3s are heavy so why get 1 made of cheaper materials? Maybe if they would have used better steel

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    bladesrckool likes this.
  6. Cscotttsss

Mar 3, 2015
    My primary decision is because I love deep carry wire clips. Oh, and the Para 3 is one of my favorite designs by Spyderco.

TheFactor likes this.
  7. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Couple of PM 3 LW SE up for sale now on the exchange.

8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    If it is just the clip, won't a $20 lynch clip on a g10 Para 3 take care of the business? I too don't understand what's the fuss about this LW version that has only one washer. Or maybe lightweight is the new fad?

9. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I have a manix 2 G10 and a lightweight. It's just variety. I love my para 3, and I wanted the lightweight model as well, although blade HQ has seemed to drop the ball a little considering it's still up for pre-order...? I'm usually against pre-orders for anything because I believe it's a dumb system, but I did it anyway. Won't do it again though!

10. Texaspoff

Texaspoff

Jul 29, 2018
    I like both the Para3 G-10 and LW models. For me the LW works better.

I like the deep carry clip on the LW, I

I'm not a steel snob, so it isn't a huge deal to me. I carried a Tenacious for a lot of years as my work knife, and was never disappointed.

I'll see how this steel holds up. My last S30V knife chipped easily, so I''m not a huge fan. Although, my Para 3 G10 hasn't had any issue. Spyderco obviously has better heat treat.

Will the LW wear out over time due to one less bushing? Who knows, and if it does, i'll pick up another one. Is it blade heavy, to someone more sensitive than me i guess, but for my tasks, if it is, I don't notice.

The LW gives me what I like about the G10, with a little less weight, a deep carry clip, not a fan of aftermarket clips, and it cost less in the event it departs from my custody.

I completely understand why the G-10 appeals to some, it does feel more solid, and is just an all around nicer piece. Is it worth the extra money? To me, not really, but I understand what the LW version is, and I'm good with that.

Especially with a black clip.....;)

[​IMG]

TXPO

11. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Back in stock @DLTtrading.

12. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Really liked every Para 3 I’ve owned so decided to order another from DLT of course the best Dealer known to man kind :)
    The Para 3 LW should make a great bike companion and I’m pretty excited to get this one in my hands :thumbsup:
    Edit: On a side note I ordered mine this morning from DLT and it was shipped within hours :eek: the same day and It’s due to arrive Thursday!
    Not only do they have the best customer service DLT is the fastest shipper out of any dealer I’ve ever dealt with and they did it today with a exclamation point .

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    orangejoe35 and Cscotttsss like this.
  13. Chesapeake/cbr

Chesapeake/cbr

Apr 5, 2019
    Knifes ship free is the same

TheFactor likes this.
  14. Cscotttsss

Mar 3, 2015
    Halfway through the second full week of carrying it, also carried it all weekend which is rare for me as I usually carry a larger folder on the weekends. I'm still really enjoying it and would highly recommend it to anyone that is a fan of the Para 3.

[​IMG]Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

15. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Mine arrived and couldn’t be happier .
    Blade centered , nice action and razor sharp out of the box . Feels so much better then the BM bugout in hand “for me”
    Thanks DLT for sending this beauty lightning fast too !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  16. SaltyCheez

SaltyCheez

Mar 27, 2019
    I really want to like the LW... wish it had the newer style Taichung FRN pattern instead or their own unique version. like how every factory has their own style FRN: seki (squares) / maniago (grid) / taichung (hexagon) / golden (????)

17. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Had mine since day 1 and overall have positive things to say. Carey’s well, light, solid, way better than the Bugout etc.

Two complaints:
    1) very stiff new and extremely sensitive to pivot adjustment. To get a free dropper I had to have a little side to side play. Not thrilled about that.

2) BD1N is a good overall performer but is surprisingly rust prone. I’ve left it wet by the sink overnight (fresh water) and gotten straight up rust, not water spotting, rust.

18. Chalet

Chalet Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I love mine. The thing I like better about it is that the handle is contoured, and how light it is. Love everything about it. Hope they do a PM2 lw.

19. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’m surprised to hear this. Was the rust related to the Spyderco emblem or similar etching?

20. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Interesting... I thought BD1N was supposed to be fairly rust resistant?