Off Topic Parallel Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cavers cave. Spelunkers are the inexperienced folks whom cavers have to go in and rescue. :p

Yeah, and it wasn’t even a cave, at least those are naturally-formed and usually stable; we’re talking a mineshaft, artificial and no supports left.

Those signs are there for a reason.

Parallel (P)snarking flawlessly executed and illustrated by the King.

i-LtH9fr4-X2.jpg

Come back from a few days "rest and relaxation", and we have new snarkage by God.

New dilemma. My septic is backed up at the cabin. The guy I purchased it from, installed either a single, or more likely a dual 55 gallon drum system. Costs $200 to get it pumped out, but they more than likely won't be able to get the big truck back to it. Don't think they make a pump rental for septic tanks. That's illegal, from what I hear, Any ideas?

Since it's cold as a witch's tit up there right now, my solution for you won't work this time of year, most likely, as it involves digging the tanks out and dipping the crap out by hand using 5 gallon buckets and rubber gloves, dumping the buckets of crap into a "compost pile" of leaves, twigs, stick and wood chips and letting every thing compost to nothing.

Kinda like what the city sewage plants do with the crap they dig out of the bottom of their sewage treatment settling ponds. They they sell it as "compost", e.g., what the city of Austin Texas does - they sell it as Dillo Dirt. Great for flowers, but I sure wouldn't use it in my veggies.:poop:

Another option is to buy a "solids" pump ($200 to $400) and pump the stuff out yourself. The problems with this solution are 1) you need a water source to flush the crap around after the pump has removed the initial slug of liquid
and
2) there's a lot more liquid involved in the disposal methods with this way.

You could get a couple of empty 55 gallon barrels and haul water from the river below your property to augment the pump, but again it's kinda cold out there right now to be dipping and hauling water. Anything you pump out this time of year will freeze up there in MO, so it wouldn't run too far from where you pumped it to, but....

Illegal would be dumping it on someone else's property or dumping it on yours and allowing it to run directly into a waterway.

Putting organic material directly into a compost pit? No problem there, most likely. Especially if it is a dedicated composting area, say like you have a "pit" of stacked concrete blocks that you routinely dump non-meat scraps, leaves, twigs etc into for composting purposes. I say non-meat scraps because meat scraps stink while "composting", i.e., rotting and they draw critters which dig through and/or destroy your pit.

Yuck, that sucks.
I had a backup recently. Turned out the outlet of the house drain pipe was completely grown over by planet earth. I sawed huge, dense chunks of rooty oil out from around it with a machete, then dug out what was in the end of the pipe. BTW, watch out for the spray when you break that seal if that's the problem...

Oooh, how can I order one of your special floating knives??
I'll work you up a quote, but I've got to warn you it might take a while for me to make it. I've had a hard time sourcing material since Amazon started using those air pocket packing things instead of Styrofoam.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's the wife and I's 10th anniversary. We're gonna take a few hour drive over the river to Missouri, and spend the night there. Book a hotel room, be lazy, send for food, and be even lazier. Gonna go downtown Saturday to some of the stores there. There's one in particular that has a lot of native American stuff, that I like. Hopefully it's still there. Been a few years since we've been there.

Tomorrow's the wife and I's 10th anniversary. We're gonna take a few hour drive over the river to Missouri, and spend the night there. Book a hotel room, be lazy, send for food, and be even lazier. Gonna go downtown Saturday to some of the stores there. There's one in particular that has a lot of native American stuff, that I like. Hopefully it's still there. Been a few years since we've been there.
Happy anniversary, sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back