Off Topic Parallel Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I killed the snark....

Allow me to attempt a revival by sharing some good old fashioned charcuterie. I went to my buddy's house on Saturday to help him whip up a large batch of Cumberland sausage, otherwise known as "Bangers". For those of you who are familiar with British fare, bangers are a bit of a staple and my friend, who has long been enthused by British cooking, has really perfected his recipe. It is worth noting that he makes some of the best haggis I have ever tried and his Lorne sausage and black pudding are equally amazing.

We started with around 20 pounds of good pork, cut into pieces suitable for feeding into the grinder.

kYO1gnl.jpg

The first pass through the grinder...

H1aTWQR.jpg

fdhVkQo.jpg

A very important ingredient in charcuterie, particularly of the British variety, is Rusk! We essentially made a dense, yeastless bread, similar in consistency to biscotti. We then allowed it to dry and cool some and then ran it through a food processor to achieve a large portion of "bread crumbs". We then allow them to sit in some cold water while we prepare the rest.

JrOrCs2.jpg

jRYqoZT.jpg

Cumberland spice. My buddy's own special blend, I cannot recall everything that is in it, I just know it makes these sausages taste like heaven.

3NCxP6r.jpg

Preparing to mix it all together.

W7u5sbB.jpg

LZ6YLk2.jpg

Once it has all been thoroughly mixed, we run it through the grinder a second time.

OS3piFu.jpg

The process thus far has been accompanied by many pints of Guinness. Because.... Well, just because.

gLad7Mu.jpg

We then stuck the prepared sausage into the fridge to chill before stuffing it in casings. We kept ourselves busy though and made ourselves a nice tidy meal of Scotch eggs, chips, brown sauce, and yes, more Guinness.

9l7maR9.jpg

pemiW1u.jpg

E3J5eDL.jpg

qTFqOxS.jpg

Soaking the casings prior to filling.

Z1lHEVF.jpg

Forgive me for not getting pictures of the casings getting stuffed, it was an involved process. But here you see a nice tidy pile of bangers beginning to accumulate. (It might be worth noting that Cumberland sausage is traditionally not "linked", rather prepared in a long coil. However, for ease of consumption and packaging, we linked these.)

GpCSKb4.jpg

do62W9w.jpg

After they were all filled, the sausages get pricked and then hung to dry for a little while prior to being vacuum packed and sealed. Any leftover sausage is used for patties, Scotch eggs, etc. None is wasted...

Hope you all enjoyed that. If I can manage to fund another batch this month, I might bring a large quantity to Becker West. No promises though...

Last edited:
Gotta say I love this cooler... Holds ice just as well, if not better, than my brothers yeti and looks so much "cooler" too :D

2 built in bottle openers... Pressure release valve... Chained drain plug... Fish ruler on top. Lots of cool features and quite a bit cheaper than lots of other roto molded coolers... Did I mention it looks cool?

I been admiring their kayaks for a while. The Sea Ghost 130 looks like something I should own... But I can't spare the 900 bucks right now. So I picked up one of their coolers a few weeks ago and been pretty impressed with it so far.

Been coming in handy lately since walking around is a huge chore... I can use crutches but it's a pain in the ass to carry stuff from the kitchen while using them.

The brace is locked from 0 to 30 degrees. In the picture is the most I can bend it for 2-3 more weeks. Then it gets adjusted to 60 degrees for 2 more weeks... Then 0-90 degree for a couple of weeks... Then I'll be allowed to bear weight on it.

Good times lol
View media item 3320

mmm scotch eggs...

what do you 'heads know about super accurate target bows? semi-compound, sights (optical peep sights?), trick releases, magical arrows?

it's that time of year, and i figure i might want to try something tricked out :D

will also probably get my regular compound bow restrung. then it'll take month to retune. last time, it shot all over the place after the adjustments the store made (well, it was me, but there you go...

what with all this chinese spam crap? cheese!

regular guinness, 200th anniv guinness, or the guinness 1943 antwerp stout?

Strange, but on my phone, it shows that my ip has been banned here.

Looks like we’ve found the source of all the Chinese spamming...nice try comrade :D
Rebooted my phone, and it works again. Who knows.

Traveling to Scotland for the first time, in a month.
Will visit the Whisky Trail for sure.
Must I try such eggs?
Not sure about the haggis...

regular guinness, 200th anniv guinness, or the guinness 1943 antwerp stout?

You know, I am not exactly certain. I just know that my buddy had bought several flats of the stuff from Costco on sale.

I might get flayed for this... But I am not exactly a huge fan of Guinness Stout. Mostly because I live in what is arguably one of the Beer Meccas of the world and our stouts here are absolutely exquisite. I find Guinness to be rather bland and lacks the body of the stouts I usually enjoy. It also must be largely comprised of water since I can apparently drink numerous pints and not feel a damn thing...

Traveling to Scotland for the first time, in a month.
Will visit the Whisky Trail for sure.
Must I try such eggs?
Not sure about the haggis...

You must try ALL the meats! Seriously though, I am a big fan of British charcuterie. Their bacon is better, their sausage is heavenly, their puddings are simply amazing (it is important to note that pudding there is not what we refer to as pudding here....) Haggis would be considered a form of pudding. Black pudding, and white pudding.... I could go on and on...

Haggis is usually comprised of organ meats, such as heart, lung, and liver, minced with either lamb or beef, boiled and then mixed with spices, oats, barley, suet and what not. Traditionally it is cooked in a stomach of sorts but you will find that it is often cased just like regular sausages. It is very tasty and if prepared right, you will not even know you are eating liver.

And Scotch eggs are simply hard boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage meat and deep fried.

Try it all and let me know how you like it. Good luck on your trip, I hope you have an amazing time.

You know, I am not exactly certain. I just know that my buddy had bought several flats of the stuff from Costco on sale.

I might get flayed for this... But I am not exactly a huge fan of Guinness Stout. Mostly because I live in what is arguably one of the Beer Meccas of the world and our stouts here are absolutely exquisite. I find Guinness to be rather bland and lacks the body of the stouts I usually enjoy. It also must be largely comprised of water since I can apparently drink numerous pints and not feel a damn thing...

You must try ALL the meats! Seriously though, I am a big fan of British charcuterie. Their bacon is better, their sausage is heavenly, their puddings are simply amazing (it is important to note that pudding there is not what we refer to as pudding here....) Haggis would be considered a form of pudding. Black pudding, and white pudding.... I could go on and on...

Haggis is usually comprised of organ meats, such as heart, lung, and liver, minced with either lamb or beef, boiled and then mixed with spices, oats, barley, suet and what not. Traditionally it is cooked in a stomach of sorts but you will find that it is often cased just like regular sausages. It is very tasty and if prepared right, you will not even know you are eating liver.

And Scotch eggs are simply hard boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage meat and deep fried.

Try it all and let me know how you like it. Good luck on your trip, I hope you have an amazing time.

I feel the same way about Guinness. To me it has an overwhelming smokiness that I don't really care for. And it seems to mess with my stomach when I drink it. I have some friends that had it on tap in Ireland and say it doesn't even compare to how it is here. I will probably just stick with the American stouts.

I want a small Becker Parang!!! With full size scales. Just saying

actually, it's more of a golok, at 1/2 thick at the spink, semi parang, 24 inches OAL with a two and a half hander handle

awesome

fake news

wood. couple huge trees came down. house safe. nice :D

smells like a pine bomb air freshener went off

wood. couple huge trees came down. house safe. nice :D

smells like a pine bomb air freshener went off
You're getting some of this 50mph wind also i assume. Calling for more snow this Saturday.... I'm sooo done with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back