Off Topic Parallel Snarking

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I am not exactly certain. I just know that my buddy had bought several flats of the stuff from Costco on sale.

I might get flayed for this... But I am not exactly a huge fan of Guinness Stout. Mostly because I live in what is arguably one of the Beer Meccas of the world and our stouts here are absolutely exquisite. I find Guinness to be rather bland and lacks the body of the stouts I usually enjoy. It also must be largely comprised of water since I can apparently drink numerous pints and not feel a damn thing...

actually I'm not fond of "regular" guinness -- the foreign extra is decent, but the 200th anniv and the Antwerpen Stout are both excellent -- especially as they do not really taste anything like the regular stuff you can get here in bottles or cans. (and the blonde guinness is a heresy against humanity)

Haggis is just Scots Gaelic for meatloaf in a casing.
Scotch eggs are delicious and nutritious.

You're getting some of this 50mph wind also i assume. Calling for more snow this Saturday.... I'm sooo done with it

sounds like a freight train. in free fall.

tree is 95+ foot, base is 24+ feet, height height is 18 inches, remaining base is 11 feet tall

IMG_4949-3091x2318.jpg

IMG_4950-3091x2318.jpg

IMG_4951-X4.jpg

IMG_4952-3091x2318.jpg

sounds like a freight train. in free fall.

tree is 95+ foot, base is 24+ feet, height height is 18 inches, remaining base is 11 feet tall

IMG_4949-3091x2318.jpg

IMG_4950-3091x2318.jpg

IMG_4951-X4.jpg

IMG_4952-3091x2318.jpg
Damn I thought it came down from high winds and saturated ground. That monster snapped!!! Is the core rotten?

"i got lucky", or semi planning...

still, a bit of cleanup and death dodging required.

Traveling to Scotland for the first time, in a month.
Will visit the Whisky Trail for sure.
Must I try such eggs?
Not sure about the haggis...

Haggis, the one place I had it, reminded me of good boudin. And then you got to pour the Scotch they served with it over it.

Definitely try it.

Just realized my EDC PM2 is not going to fly in the UK. Even my favorite "gentlemen's" alternates, with suitable blade length: Spydies's Sage 1 and Vagnino's P-38, won't cut it with their locking blades.
Almost got excited about needing to pick up something new (Spydie UKPK, Boker Tech Tool 1, and Svord Peasant each caught my eye.)
Then, I realized I already have the perfect travelling companions. Case Swayback Jack (in my pocket today since I'm going to open house at daughter's school after work), and the BeckerHead standby Alox Farmer.
I should be happy I don't need to spend more money. But I kinda like the idea of needing something new and different.

Just realized my EDC PM2 is not going to fly in the UK. Even my favorite "gentlemen's" alternates, with suitable blade length: Spydies's Sage 1 and Vagnino's P-38, won't cut it with their locking blades.
Almost got excited about needing to pick up something new (Spydie UKPK, Boker Tech Tool 1, and Svord Peasant each caught my eye.)
Then, I realized I already have the perfect travelling companions. Case Swayback Jack (in my pocket today since I'm going to open house at daughter's school after work), and the BeckerHead standby Alox Farmer.
I should be happy I don't need to spend more money. But I kinda like the idea of needing something new and different.

I recommend one of these guys. Could likely pick one up right there in the UK.

h0RqeUP.jpg

love my UKPK, Svord is pretty nice, too -- but I would really like to get one of those lambsfoot jobs one of these days.

love my UKPK, Svord is pretty nice, too -- but I would really like to get one of those lambsfoot jobs one of these days.

I kind of view them as the "Beckers" of the traditional cutlery realm. They provide an almost obscene level of value for what you pay. Just a robust, no frills, hard working slip joint. I hope you get one, would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Hmmmmm.
Is that a Senator?

No, the pattern is known as a Lambsfoot, note the unusual blade shape (not a sheepfoot, not a wharncliffe). There is a whole thread dedicated to it in the Traditionals sub. But to try and condense it a bit:

As far as we know, it is a pattern that first saw use in the late 19th century (1800s). It is a pattern that resembles that of a regular jack, with most examples demonstrating some nice sway to its back, providing a frame that fills the hand nicely when working and prevents it from turning or twisting. The blade itself is what makes the pattern remarkable, most folks confuse it with a sheepfoot but the subtle differences are in the distinct taper of the blade and the keener point, providing what I consider to be one of the more versatile straight edges out there.

Without getting too into the weeds, it is a knife that can be picked up for less than $40 and is built to work. Stiff springs with a nice hearty pull, high carbon steel (though you can get stainless variants too), and robust cover materials. A great knife, especially for slipping in the pocket, travelling, and just getting some work done that you wouldn't want to subject prettier knives to. I've used one of mine for everything, from mushroom hunting, whittling, food prep, grouse cleaning, etc.

As far as I know, England is the only place that manufactures this pattern as it is a distinctly English knife. You can find them in any Agriculture or Hardware store over there as they are primarily sold to farmers, gardeners, and such. Or you find them online, shoot me a PM if you are interested and I can point you in the right direction.

QogKrQn.jpg

Just got word from the appraisal done on the house we are in the process of buying. It appraised at $43,000 over what we are going to be paying for it. This makes me immeasurably happy... As a result, I am in a particularly fine mood today.

Should be getting the keys sometime next week.

QogKrQn.jpg

Just got word from the appraisal done on the house we are in the process of buying. It appraised at $43,000 over what we are going to be paying for it. This makes me immeasurably happy... As a result, I am in a particularly fine mood today.

Should be getting the keys sometime next week.
Congrats man, awesome news. My son bought a house in the mountains of Colorado, sold it six months later for 32, 000 more.

Congrats man, awesome news. My son bought a house in the mountains of Colorado, sold it six months later for 32, 000 more.

Thank you, my friend. I have been renting for quite some time so it is going to be nice to have something that can appreciate for me rather than someone else. It is actually cheaper to carry a mortgage right now in Oregon where I am at versus trying to rent anywhere. I get a bigger, nicer house for considerably less than what I could find for rentals. The housing market simply sucks for buyers right now, hence my delight with the appraisal news.

Awesome that your son could turn a nice profit. I've heard of folks who bought and then tried to sell a couple years later, only to find that their house was worth less in the current market than what they paid. Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back