1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Paysan First Impressions?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by b00n, May 7, 2019.

1. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Since it seems some people have started getting theirs stateside I figured I see if anybody has impressions to share? It seems to be due next week here in the EU and I am a bit on the fence in part because it's 615$ here thanks to tax.

2. Peacedivision

Peacedivision

Sep 4, 2018
    Fit/finish/machining is all typical Taichung quality. Blade centering is perfect, probably the best action for a spydie on bearings that I've tried. Some serious finger guillotine potential when closing one handed. The clip is fine, nothing flashy but it's more functional than the clip on the Drunken. Only minor complaint is the pointy frame. It can be a serious hot spot when pocketing.

[​IMG]

My detent is light but not as bad as some of the youtube vids I've seen, it takes me 3-4 solid flicks to wrist it out.

Dadpool and b00n like this.
  3. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Paysan on the exchange.

4. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    At $100 over MAP. It's already too expensive at $520 MAP.

Guess it just depends on how much you want one. There are lots of knives to choose from at $520 but I'm priced out at $400 max, which is the most I'll pay for any knife.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    b00n likes this.
  5. thecigarguy

thecigarguy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I am sending mine back, the detent is very loose and it is too easy to shake out. Might see if they can swap for another one.

6. thecigarguy

Mar 31, 2018
    Overall impressions:

* Beautiful, well made
    * Nice flow to the design
    * Clip is meh, but not that big of a deal to me
    * Blade is thick and it felt a little blade heavy, a trip to REK for a regrind might be in order
    * Detent is super weak, turned it upside down, gentle shake and it flipped open

Sent back to Knifecenter, but will keep an eye out to buy one in the future if there is a batch with a stronger detent.

b00n and AF like this.
  7. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    What's going on with the grind, it looks serrated with a really wide bevel and a dull tip!

Bahahaha I took a quick look and for a second I thought that picture was the blade only.

Carry on.

8. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Appreciate the input. I'm gonna get an email when they land, so still some time to think, if I do pull the trigger I will ask to check the detent because I rather not deal with sending it back. I wish they had given the scales/frame some color.

thecigarguy likes this.
  9. thecigarguy

Mar 31, 2018
    @b00n I still really want one, but have to wait for now.

To me, when I compare the Paysan to the WE Tyche or the Rike Thor3... Both integrals. Those have some great detents, and they can't be shaken open and won't fall open in your pocket, period. I would give the Paysan a 50/50 chance of it opening in pocket. Some doubt that an integral can have a strong detent, but they can and they should.

b00n likes this.
  10. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    It might be a case of "if we make the detent too strong people won't be able to flick it open" in the case of the Paysan while the the other two have flippers. And Spyderco doesn't have a particularly ...noteworthy history of flipper opening knives, the Amalgam had supposedly also some detent strength issues, although on the Amalgam it should be easily fixable with some bending of the compression lock to exert some more pressure (assuming the ball and hole are appropriately sized)

11. thecigarguy

Mar 31, 2018
    My spyderco pm2, pm3, and shaman all have pretty strong detents. All have to really be shaken hard to open.

Fmont and b00n like this.
  12. rwgottar

rwgottar Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    to be fair, it's not just a regular paysan.. it was a small batch released and signed by Peter Rassenti... they werent sold at MAP

13. TenShun705

TenShun705 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2016
    What exactly is entailed in this small batch release? Did he sign the actual knife? Or just the pouch? How’s the detent on your’s? Mine is pretty weak, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to open in my pocket considering it’s a tip-up RH carry,....unless people carry those on their LH side lol.

It’s quite blade-heavy, but it cuts like a champ due to that, not in terms of “slicing” bcuz the blade stock is pretty thick. Spydie hole is nicely chamfered, jimping is nice — not too aggressive, but a bit more unique than the usual jimping on PM2’s.

14. sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    Is that worth an extra $100?

Personally, I think not but, if it is to you or anyone else, go for it. The knife is still available the last I looked. So, it's apparently not worth the extra $ to anyone else. At least not yet.

15. ric75

ric75

Jun 2, 2017
    The pouch is signed.
    According the pics in the sale thread not the knife is signed as far as i see it

16. rwgottar

Dec 5, 2017
    I think spyderco messed up the detent.... I fixed i though. Now it's what spyderco should have released.... A Rassenti for 1/3rd the price

https://streamable.com/tazog

AshKramer, thecigarguy and TenShun705 like this.
  17. thecigarguy

Mar 31, 2018
    How did you fix it?

18. sgt1372

Oct 16, 2018
    Yes, it's only the pouch that's signed but how do you know it was actually signed by the designer?

Is there a certificate of authenticity provided w/the pouch to verify it (such as comes w/sports memorability now)? If not, then it is pretty much worthless for purposes of resale IMO.

19. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
  20. rwgottar

Dec 5, 2017
    Probably because they came directly from peter?

Those who know..... know