Paysan First Impressions?

Fixed the detent on my Paysan and made a video. Just used a few diamond rods and did it by hand.

It is on the stiff side now...

Glad you fixed it to your liking but that would be WAY too stiff for me! LOL!!! ;)

I prefer the detent on the light side; light enough so that I can wrist flick it open but not so light that it will just drop out, which is usually how the Taichung Spydercos are made. I'm sure it's a big headache for Spyderco (and other knife makers) because there's just no way to satisfy everyone.

Last edited:
sgt1372 sgt1372 yeah I know some folks like a lighter detent. It is hard to please everyone. Might be worth spyderco stocking two SKUs, one light and one strong.

wickettedge wickettedge Thanks. My google searches resulted in a ton of A-Rod and J. Lo links. I think i might leave the Paysan alone for now, but I have a Honey Badger that needs work. Better for me to practice on a cheap knife :)

BladeBill BladeBill totally get it. I did it by hand for the same reason, I was worried firing up the Dremel could result in too big of a detent hole. It didn't take too long using some 80 grit diamond burrs. Good luck with the Honey Badger!

It seems they all have weak detents but it doesn't seem unsafe in any practical use means. Being a non-flipper I don't see it being very problematic for me. It's an absolute beauty of a knife and a hell of a price for a almost custom rassenti.

grumpy514 grumpy514 yep it is a beautiful knife.

One observation that I have been thinking. For being an integral, the beautiful handle and incredible job they did on the stop pin, the design really gives importance to the blade. I thought I would love the handle, but the large blade is what I find even more incredible and I am drawn to it.

grumpy514 grumpy514 yep it is a beautiful knife.

One observation that I have been thinking. For being an integral, the beautiful handle and incredible job they did on the stop pin, the design really gives importance to the blade. I thought I would love the handle, but the large blade is what I find even more incredible and I am drawn to it.

Dr. Frunky noted that even on the full custom Rassenti's he will not do a mirror polish on S90V as he said its an absolute bear to do and get correct. The fact that Taichung nailed this along with the drunken is a feat in itself. I keep trying to looking for the half moon cresent on the lockbar side to see where the stoppin is pushed in but damn I just can't find it! I need to get some better lighting and a loupe on it to see if I can find it. A lot of people don't even realize that there's an actual hole in their Paysan that was so incredibly well done its almost imperceptible to the naked eye.

The mirror polishing/stonewashing the Taichung factory does is one of my favorite finishes on any knife I've seen it. It's so well done on the Technos, Bowies, etc. etc.

Dr. Frunky noted that even on the full custom Rassenti's he will not do a mirror polish on S90V as he said its an absolute bear to do and get correct. The fact that Taichung nailed this along with the drunken is a feat in itself. I keep trying to looking for the half moon cresent on the lockbar side to see where the stoppin is pushed in but damn I just can't find it! I need to get some better lighting and a loupe on it to see if I can find it. A lot of people don't even realize that there's an actual hole in their Paysan that was so incredibly well done its almost imperceptible to the naked eye.

The mirror polishing/stonewashing the Taichung factory does is one of my favorite finishes on any knife I've seen it. It's so well done on the Technos, Bowies, etc. etc.

Yeah, I cannot even find the stop pin hole on mine. It’s incredibly well done.

Fixed the detent on my Paysan and made a video. Just used a few diamond rods and did it by hand.

It is on the stiff side now...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-AMsJngyO/?igshid=og53rruvbwao

I had good luck with these and a 1/8th inch tap and die collet. Just twist by hand in the detent and refit the knife together every few minutes to check detent stiffness. A little goes a long way.

SE 8230DD8 30-Piece Set of Assorted Diamond Burrs, 80 Grit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BKIKZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2bf7CbYV1A3KT

Back