Paysan First Impressions?

In stock right now at BHQ. Just received an email to that effect. Took a look and its there's at least one there right now to buy for $520 if you want it.

Oh they're in stock at DLT also, so I thought I'd order there and reap the rewards points. :D

Watching this thread keenly to get more owner/user feedback regarding some weak(ish) detent I read about. This knife has been on my radar ever since its announcement but it has had a couple of negative point about it, as far as I was concerned:

Price for a production Spyderco in addition to that darn fugly and uninspiring clip:

I own some Shirogorov knives which are 2 x as much so I am not bashful about spending! However I want to see whether the value in this pattern merits the price. I want a sheepfoot type of blade shape (or whatever you call this) and the CRK Insingo with the S35V doesn't do it for me. The Paysan's blade steel is far more superior and the ergos seem to be better but their clip SUCKS (aesthetically) for a folder in this price range!

Now if one waits long enough, can score one on the Exchange for at least 10% less than the current list price once a few have had their fun with it and got this outta their system but is it worth taking the risk of landing a weak one from a private party as opposed to buying one from a dealer when you can just return ion it's an inferior one. Another thing is to wait when there's a bit of sale, and perhaps get it for less but by then maybe the enthusiasm and the euphoria dies down.

Decisions, decision!

• Extremely smooth out of the box, but it sounds like it could use a little lube.
  • Blade rockets open with little effort. Slow rolling is also effortless.
  • Blade falls shut with just a little wrist rotation to get it started.
  • Detent is light, but I have no concerns with it opening in the pocket.
  • Blade is just off center. I have no doubt it can be adjusted out. (I am in the middle of a move, so my tools/lubes are out of state)
  • Pocket clip matches the blade nicely and does not look out of place. I would have preferred a milled Ti clip, but I am happy with the included clip.
  • Fit and finish appear to be perfect.
  • No lock stick to speak of.

Well, I have 2 now. Ordered one from DLT and found before I could cancel the BladeHQ order that it had shipped. So, will have one for someone before i ship back maybe.

As for the detent, i am over it. No concern it will open easily on it's own and centering is perfect now. So, besides its quirks it is in my favorite knives of all time list. Oddly, Spyderco has 3 of the top 5 slots. Never thought that would be.

Just got mine in yesterday. No issues with detent for me. I could see why some people call it light, but there’s no way it would accidentally come open. I tried to gravity drop it or whatever it’s called with a few swift punches and the blade didn’t come out.

Mine's out for delivery now. I'm just sitting here watching the door. o_O

Oh damn. This thing is awesome. The detent is fine on mine too. Could be stronger, but it's totally functional. Everything about the finishing is just damn perfect.

Thanks guys for the added feedback on detent. Although I would still buy from an online dealer instead of deal shopping on the Exchange at this early stage of the game, because saving $30ish compared to list, is not worth the hassle for me when it comes returning to a dealer for inferior F/F as opposed to a private part sale. In the process of moving a Shiro or two before I get very serious with this.

Has anyone found a quality aftermarket clip yet? Milled much more preferred!

If anyone has ever wondered about picking up longer Torx screws T6 for spyderco Clips.

Size T6 2-56 button head for PM2, and I’m sure many others.
I picked up 3/8” length and will cut to size as needed.

You can get 25 count from USA Knife Maker for around $3 bucks.

halden.doerge halden.doerge

Damn, you’re killing me! I’ve picked up a few knives from you and I know you know your knives too!

So now I guess I will have to sell off a few and pick me one up too, lol, and see for myself.

Thanks...I guess :rolleyes: another $500 gone :confused: :D:D

Alright, well, I got another Paysan, and the detent is a little better. I can lightly shake it and it stays shut, however, any harder shaking will get it to pop right out.

I do like the clip and it carries very nice.

Trying to decide if I am brave enough to take a Dremel to it to get the detent stronger. That makes me a bit nervous because of how much I paid for it. Not sure I want to experiment, and it would be cool if there was someone offering this as a service.

Trying to decide if I am brave enough to take a Dremel to it to get the detent stronger. That makes me a bit nervous because of how much I paid for it. Not sure I want to experiment, and it would be cool if there was someone offering this as a service.

I’ve never done it myself (so maybe I should close my pie-hole), but this guy turned the bit by hand.

I’d be hesitant to touch anything with a Dremel that I wasn’t prepared to destroy (not that it’s stopped me before—LOL).

That sounds more doable. Will watch that video. If anyone has done this already, then I would love pointers on bit size and process.

jmd3RLr.jpg

UfiQUC1.jpg

vuwKpaF.jpg

Wb6zx1n.jpg

Ordered mine from DLT Trading....should be here Wednesday :D

I’ve used small diamond coated dremel bits to fix detent before.
Not hard, just take your time and go very very slowly and lowest rpm.

My Paysan showed up yesterday and went back to DLT Trading today. Overall it’s a nice knife but handle is too thin for my taste when gripping or holding. Also wish there was a little material removed from the right side so it would be much easier to disengage the lockbar. Biggest deal breaker for me was the detent....wow, I must have gotten a super soft one. Just one downward pop and it would Fly out and lockup hard.

That’s a No-Go here in Hawaii, Honolulu. Super illegal for us to have switchblades or gravity knives.

This would have been better if they made it in a 3.5” version

Last edited:
I love the knife, I love the design. I hate the detent, they are ALL weak. It doesn't make me feel the knife is unsafe, and it doesn't matter nearly as much since it is not a flipper....but come on.

VIDEO: Slight wrist flick.
https://imgur.com/Bjt7X6I

Back