1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Peanut For a Month

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by r redden, Jan 5, 2019.

1. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    I started thinking about carrying one knife for a month to really experience it about a year or so ago but I could never get my mind set to accomplish a month with just one knife. I finally made up my mind and thought about what knife to carry. I looked at and thought about the knives I already own but decided to try a knife I no longer own even though I have owned many of them through the years. The Case Peanut a knife I must admit has been somewhat an enigma to me I like them but never totally understand why folks love them so much as I have always preferred a knife the size of a barlow or medium stockman. I then I thought about covers stag, jigged bone, wood no I wanted to try what I consider the quintessential peanut knife.......jigged delrin with an SS blade. The knife an average guy looking for a small knife would most likely buy because it's a brand everyone recognizes and it's inexpensive. the one I bought from a BF registered dealer was $31.99.

It came yesterday so with knife in hand I started this one month journey today. First I'll talk about my first impressions. As tempted as I am to work a bit on the blade I'm leaving the factory edge to get the same experience as the average Joe buying an EDC.
    F&F is spot on good centering on both blades with no blade rub, no gaps anywhere springs are flush, pulls are 5-6, both blades have half-stops and grinds are decent. The size of the knife for me makes it feel a bit cumbersome in hand. When cutting I have a tendency to curl my fingers around a knife with my thumb on the spine. With this little guy just my index and middle finger curl around with my thumb on the spine. In this position my thumb naturally sits a little ways up the blade which makes me a bit nervous that I might apply to much pressure on the blade and shut it on my finger. I will probably have to modify how I hold it for use.

I will be posting about the performance of this little knife all month and at the end give my impressions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Good luck, it will be an interesting experiment for you.
    I tried it for a week but gave up after 5 days.

3. TucsonMik

TucsonMik Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Great idea and beautiful little peanut! Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Vaporstang, Prester John and r redden like this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This will be fun to follow.

5. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Good Luck!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    As a side note.. I have been carrying a SAK Small Tinker since Nov. 7th every day.. Sooo.. It can be done!!:D
    John

6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Good luck, Randy. I like your idea of not sharpening it right away so you can get the same experience as the average Joe. I've always liked Case's jigged brown delrin. It looks good to me and I think it's under-rated. The as ground blades that often accompany the delrin models are a favorite of mine too.

7. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Good Luck, Randy. :)

It looks like a fine peanut.

Vaporstang, r redden and Prester John like this.
  8. TrapperMike

TrapperMike Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 23, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Good luck. I have been carrying my brown delrin peanut everyday for 2 years. It has been great. I have big hands but have adapted fine to this little guy. Can't wait to see how you like yours. You might just have to join the cult.

9. rishma

rishma

Jun 22, 2008
    Looks like a perfect pocket companion.

I carried my peanut exclusively for over a year. It was a very rare occasion where I had a cutting task that required me to grab A different knife, Usually some sort of food prep. I especially liked being able to slip it in my shirt pocket at work.
    [​IMG]

I only just swapped it out in December for my new two blade stag covered GEC 14 clip which I plan to carry for 2019.

Enjoy your legume!

10. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Interesting experiment. I used to carry the same knife everyday for years. Usually peanut size knives. Carried a small stockman, a small pen knife, a small lockback, and small SAKs (Victorinox Classic). The last year I have been rotating larger knives, and I think I prefer the larger sizes now.
    But you should have no problem carrying a peanut for a month.
    Good luck, Randy!

11. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I slipped my Case peanut into my dress slacks this morning when I attended a funeral service. My normal attire is jeans and the everyday go-to "knife" is the Leatherman Wave residing in a pouch.

12. PaulS.

PaulS.

Jul 16, 2018
    I posted about carrying my yellow CV peanut for a month in the Cult of the Peanut thread. The best thing was you could pull it out in a crowded public gathering and nobody even noticed. I've gotten some "looks" with larger traditional knives. The only problem was cutting things like bread or sandwich rolls, especially in public. The blades are just not long enough to elegantly do it. You COULD do it if you don't mind drawing attention you wouldn't get otherwise. I've been carrying it again daily for about a week.

peanut3.jpg

13. SIG96

SIG96 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I’m about to snag a brown delrin Peanut myself in a little while. Poor Camillus Pony Jack was a little too small for my carry tastes.

14. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Interesting idea about not sharpening it, at this point that doesn’t even cross my mind but you are totally correct! Good luck:thumbsup:

Vaporstang and r redden like this.
  15. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    This will be fun to follow. Good luck , I’ve always gotten by just fine with a Peanut in my pocket.

dc50, Vaporstang, TrapperMike and 2 others like this.
  16. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    The pen blade made short work of 3 priority mail boxes for disposal and a bubble wrap package at mail call today. It also opened a bag of frozen shrimp as you can see my cutting needs are minimal. The only thing that is driving me crazy is the edge nothing wrong with it except the factory almost got it sharp but not quite. 99.9% of the time I sharpen all my new knives as soon as I get them I'm a bit obsessive about the edge of what ever I carry I like them extremely smooth and sharp I've found the sweet spot for me is when you pop up a good burr take it off it leaves a slightly toothy edge this is where most factory edges end but if you then smooth that out with a very fine stone then a strop a knife blade will get truly hair popping. Sorry didn't mean to go there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    dc50, afishhunter, JB in SC and 7 others like this.
  17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That made me chuckle.

18. TrapperMike

Nov 23, 2016
    Be careful. It sounds like the peanut is sucking you in. Then you wont know what to do without a peanut. ;)

JSutter, Vaporstang and r redden like this.
  19. TrapperMike

Nov 23, 2016
    The peanut truly has been a joy to use. Gives me more space to carry other handy contraptions and still covers 99% of my cutting needs.

Prester John, r redden and Wurrwulf like this.
  20. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    At varying points I've carried the same knife for years. While I did carry a MiniBuck for many, many years, and it got a lot of routine use, it was also almost always supplemented by something else like a Leatherman or fixed blade. So the small blade combined with leaving the factory edge is an interesting twist.

I don't know if you'd consider it cheating, but with softer steels, after I cut cardboard, I'll typically strop a little on it before I toss it out. After all, now it's all nice and flat and handy. :)