Peanut For a Month

r redden

Gold Member
I started thinking about carrying one knife for a month to really experience it about a year or so ago but I could never get my mind set to accomplish a month with just one knife. I finally made up my mind and thought about what knife to carry. I looked at and thought about the knives I already own but decided to try a knife I no longer own even though I have owned many of them through the years. The Case Peanut a knife I must admit has been somewhat an enigma to me I like them but never totally understand why folks love them so much as I have always preferred a knife the size of a barlow or medium stockman. I then I thought about covers stag, jigged bone, wood no I wanted to try what I consider the quintessential peanut knife.......jigged delrin with an SS blade. The knife an average guy looking for a small knife would most likely buy because it's a brand everyone recognizes and it's inexpensive. the one I bought from a BF registered dealer was $31.99.

It came yesterday so with knife in hand I started this one month journey today. First I'll talk about my first impressions. As tempted as I am to work a bit on the blade I'm leaving the factory edge to get the same experience as the average Joe buying an EDC.
F&F is spot on good centering on both blades with no blade rub, no gaps anywhere springs are flush, pulls are 5-6, both blades have half-stops and grinds are decent. The size of the knife for me makes it feel a bit cumbersome in hand. When cutting I have a tendency to curl my fingers around a knife with my thumb on the spine. With this little guy just my index and middle finger curl around with my thumb on the spine. In this position my thumb naturally sits a little ways up the blade which makes me a bit nervous that I might apply to much pressure on the blade and shut it on my finger. I will probably have to modify how I hold it for use.

I will be posting about the performance of this little knife all month and at the end give my impressions.

w3ot3fN.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck, Randy. I like your idea of not sharpening it right away so you can get the same experience as the average Joe. I've always liked Case's jigged brown delrin. It looks good to me and I think it's under-rated. The as ground blades that often accompany the delrin models are a favorite of mine too.

Looks like a perfect pocket companion.

I carried my peanut exclusively for over a year. It was a very rare occasion where I had a cutting task that required me to grab A different knife, Usually some sort of food prep. I especially liked being able to slip it in my shirt pocket at work.
N3H1Bhc.jpg

I only just swapped it out in December for my new two blade stag covered GEC 14 clip which I plan to carry for 2019.

Enjoy your legume!

I started thinking about carrying one knife for a month to really experience it about a year or so ago but I could never get my mind set to accomplish a month with just one knife. I finally made up my mind and thought about what knife to carry. I looked at and thought about the knives I already own but decided to try a knife I no longer own even though I have owned many of them through the years. The Case Peanut a knife I must admit has been somewhat an enigma to me I like them but never totally understand why folks love them so much as I have always preferred an knife the size of a barlow or medium stockman. I then I thought about covers stag, jigged bone, wood no I wanted to try what I consider the quintessential peanut knife.......jigged delrin with an SS blade. The knife an average guy looking for a small knife would most likely buy because it's a brand everyone recognizes and it's inexpensive. the one I bought from a BF registered dealer was $31.99.

It came yesterday so with knife in hand I started this one month journey today. First I'll talk about my first impressions. As tempted as I am to work a bit on the blade I'm leaving the factory edge to get the same experience as the average Joe buying an EDC.
F&F is spot on good centering on both blades with no blade rub, no gaps anywhere springs are flush, pulls are 5-6, both blades have half-stops and grinds are decent. The size of the knife for me makes it feel a bit cumbersome in hand. When cutting I have a tendency to curl my fingers around a knife with my thumb on the spine. With this little guy just my index and middle finger curl around with my thumb on the spine with this little guy my thumb naturally is placed a little ways up the blade which makes me a bit nervous that I might apply to much pressure on the blade and shut it on my finger. I will probably have to modify how I hold it for use.

I will be posting about the performance of this little knife all month and at the end give my impressions.

w3ot3fN.jpg
Interesting experiment. I used to carry the same knife everyday for years. Usually peanut size knives. Carried a small stockman, a small pen knife, a small lockback, and small SAKs (Victorinox Classic). The last year I have been rotating larger knives, and I think I prefer the larger sizes now.
But you should have no problem carrying a peanut for a month.
Good luck, Randy!

I posted about carrying my yellow CV peanut for a month in the Cult of the Peanut thread. The best thing was you could pull it out in a crowded public gathering and nobody even noticed. I've gotten some "looks" with larger traditional knives. The only problem was cutting things like bread or sandwich rolls, especially in public. The blades are just not long enough to elegantly do it. You COULD do it if you don't mind drawing attention you wouldn't get otherwise. I've been carrying it again daily for about a week.

peanut3.jpg

The pen blade made short work of 3 priority mail boxes for disposal and a bubble wrap package at mail call today. It also opened a bag of frozen shrimp as you can see my cutting needs are minimal. The only thing that is driving me crazy is the edge nothing wrong with it except the factory almost got it sharp but not quite. 99.9% of the time I sharpen all my new knives as soon as I get them I'm a bit obsessive about the edge of what ever I carry I like them extremely smooth and sharp I've found the sweet spot for me is when you pop up a good burr take it off it leaves a slightly toothy edge this is where most factory edges end but if you then smooth that out with a very fine stone then a strop a knife blade will get truly hair popping. Sorry didn't mean to go there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I posted about carrying my yellow CV peanut for a month in the Cult of the Peanut thread. The best thing was you could pull it out in a crowded public gathering and nobody even noticed. I've gotten some "looks" with larger traditional knives. The only problem was cutting things like bread or sandwich rolls, especially in public. The blades are just not long enough to elegantly do it. You COULD do it if you don't mind drawing attention you wouldn't get otherwise. I've been carrying it again daily for about a week.

View attachment 1048754
Be careful. It sounds like the peanut is sucking you in. Then you wont know what to do without a peanut. ;)

At varying points I've carried the same knife for years. While I did carry a MiniBuck for many, many years, and it got a lot of routine use, it was also almost always supplemented by something else like a Leatherman or fixed blade. So the small blade combined with leaving the factory edge is an interesting twist.

I don't know if you'd consider it cheating, but with softer steels, after I cut cardboard, I'll typically strop a little on it before I toss it out. After all, now it's all nice and flat and handy. :)

Back