Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Yes, but I would not do that on the HDFK. Why? Because I would not want to lose good batoning real estate ;)

I try to avoid that if I can; usually keep it to kindling size pieces at most. But then again I always have an axe on me so never really necessary. I am lacking something stabby at the moment and seeing all the zombies around had me thinking....those being the CPK kind of zombies*

I try to avoid that if I can; usually keep it to kindling size pieces at most. But then again I always have an axe on me so never really necessary. I am lacking something stabby at the moment and seeing all the zombies around had me thinking....those being the CPK kind of zombies*

Like Dave said above your post, zombifying a Field Knife will make it that much more shabby looking but who else apart from Dave has a few extra FKs these days to mod? ;)

I agree that zombifying an HDFK will make def it more skeery looking but then again I have a UF for that and if that doesn't scare the bejeesuz outta some pig, then I'm pulling out the Shivs :D

Not that Im going to do a swedge, but I’d like to know how much weight loss would you get by cutting/grinding a swedge on a FK? I think I’d like a 2 ounce weight loss from the front. I told Jo to send me Micarta grips to replace G-10 grips on my FK . That should save an ounce in the back. I think the balance would be improved if I could save 2 ounces up front from doing a swedge with the 1 ounce in the back by doing a grip change. Ever been done? Result?

If anyone thought it was necessary, would milling out a little steel from the tang at the time you do the swedge give you a way to get the balance point just where you want it?

^^^ I will try for a very Nathan-esque answer. If you managed to get a 3" swedge along the length of the spine, that is 1/16" deep by 3/16" tall on both sides, you will remove ~1/8 of an ounce. Not very much at all.

Put another way, on a 20oz knife (I just picked a number...) you are looking at 10% of that to grind off 2oz. Take your knife and draw 4 lines on the blade, then imagine grinding off to the first line.

Balance is about weight distribution. To get the most noticeable difference you need to remove it as far away from the balance point as you can. The new handles won't make a lot of difference because they span (a little bit) in front of the balance point.

With your stated parameters, you are trying for a little lighter blade/handle heavy balance (removing more weight from the blade than the handle).

Just as an experiment, try this...get some fine gage lead solder wire. Pop one scale off and put some in the back pocket of the tang. See if adding weight to the back end gives you the new balance point (albeit at a heavier weight overal) you are looking for.

TL,DR; no, you won't get 2 ounces with a swedge.

All just my musings/opinion and I could be stupidly, glaringly wrong.

I am going to swedge a field knife. I don't know if I'll grind it myself or send it to a tradesman, but it's going to happen......

......just as soon as I a) get up the nerve or b) find the right tradesman that grinds 'em like Nate does.

Dave

Dave check out Josh at Razor's edge! He does FANTASTIC WORK
http://www.razoredgeknives.com/

The Three Stooges
Wcz5VMP.jpg

Back